U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:49 AM

717 posts, read 2,497,553 times

Advertisements

In my area we have Barnes & Noble, Borders, and Books-A-Million as the major bookstores. I am a book-a-holic/information addict. Does the DC/NOVA have any other major bookstores?

If so, which company is your favorite?

I am moving to NOVA in September and my Books-A-Million membership just expired. Do you have BAM up there? I don't want to pay to renew my membership if there are no BAM stores in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 04:36 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,144,784 times
We have the same stores. I prefer Barnes & Noble, usually go to Borders because it is more convenient. We have a Books-A-Million in Potomac Mills but it has REALLY gone downhill over the years. Used to be a great bookstore but not anymore.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:10 AM

1,330 posts, read 2,700,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
We have the same stores. I prefer Barnes & Noble, usually go to Borders because it is more convenient. We have a Books-A-Million in Potomac Mills but it has REALLY gone downhill over the years. Used to be a great bookstore but not anymore.
ChristineVA - on all three the last post you have said exactly what I would say on GM, the airports and the bookstore..are we sisters with different mothers!

Anyway on BAM - I came from an area which only had BAM and was disappointed when I got here (after just renewing) that the only one was at Potomac mills, and it isn't great at all! But to OP, the other ones are plentiful here!

Old 08-26-2010, 05:26 AM

1,419 posts, read 3,020,321 times
apparently a Books A Million is opening in Leesburg, in the Wegmans shopping center.

I personally hate the big chain book stores and it was quite shocking that there are no mom and pop stores around here - other than Middleburg. Any other ones anyone can recommend? I'm in Western Loudoun...

Old 08-26-2010, 05:32 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,144,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
ChristineVA - on all three the last post you have said exactly what I would say on GM, the airports and the bookstore..are we sisters with different mothers!

Anyway on BAM - I came from an area which only had BAM and was disappointed when I got here (after just renewing) that the only one was at Potomac mills, and it isn't great at all! But to OP, the other ones are plentiful here!
I don't know what happened to BAM. When they first opened in Potomac Mills, it was as good as a Borders or B&N. I even had a BAM card. And then one day, seemingly, it just fell apart. Now when I walk past there, it just always looks like it is about to go out of business and has become more of a clearance center.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:04 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,647,027 times
There are Books-A-Million stores in McLean, Sterling, and Reston. Definitely have gone downhill recently.

There are some good used bookstores in the area - Reston's Used Book Shop at Lake Anne; McKay Used Books in Manassas; C&W Used Books in Chantilly; Hole in the Wall Books in Falls Church (not to mention Second Story Books and others in the District and Maryland).

There are lots of specialty bookstores - non-denominational Christian; Catholic; Spanish; Arabic; Korean; Vietnamese; etc.

Don't forget - you can always buy books in the college bookstores too. Plenty of those around here.

Not in NoVA, but not too far and totally awesome... Daedalus Books Warehouse Outlet in Columbia.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:20 AM

28 posts, read 50,856 times
For used, I like Second Story Books (at Dupont and Rockville). I also love the book sales we have here in the Arlington libraries - the selection is surprisingly current and the books are in as good a condition as in any used book store. Paperbacks are $0.50 and most hardbacks $1.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:27 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,647,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjen View Post
For used, I like Second Story Books (at Dupont and Rockville). I also love the book sales we have here in the Arlington libraries - the selection is surprisingly current and the books are in as good a condition as in any used book store. Paperbacks are $0.50 and most hardbacks $1.
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that. The Loudoun County library had its annual sale over the summer and I got a ton of stuff. I don't know what the regular pricing is, but on the last day it's $10 per sack (and they give you a big sack too). I wasn't prepared and only got one sack (staggering across the parking lot in the heat because the handles broke) but some people had luggage carts with crates to hold their sacks, some were using empty strollers. It was crazy.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:40 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,830,715 times
Books-a-Million website says it has stores in Alexandria, Bristol, Leesburg, McLean, Reston, Sterling, Winchester, and Woodbridge. Personally, I'm not impressed by the one in Sterling. I like the used book store at Lake Anne Plaza in Reston. It's small but has a surprising variety of interesting books.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:44 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,830,715 times
One surprisingly good place to find books in the DC area is at estate sales. Not garage sales -- try to find one that says it's an estate being closed down. Or even better, an embassy employee moving to another country. They often have fantastic books that they'll sell for a good price because they can't really take them with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia