Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2012, 09:33 PM

251 posts, read 929,790 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We've just moved here and I'm trying to find a park to have a 4 year old's birthday party. My main requirements are picnic tables/shelter, restrooms and playground, or at least open space. We live in Belle Haven and most of the guests are from the area, so I'd like to keep it fairly nearby-down to Mount Vernon is okay, up to Del Ray and west to Telegraph or so.
My main difficulty seems to be finding a place with restrooms. Because we don't technically live in the city, we can't reserve a shelter at a city of Alexandria park (BTW, this rule sucks! I was going to do Fort Ward or Chinquapin). I am considering Fort Hunt but can't reserve an area. I feel the playground area could get very crowded on the weekend, especially if a group books the large shelter. Belle Haven Park I feel is too close to the bike path on a weekend, and no playground. Tomorrow I'm driving by Hollin Hall School park and Stoneybrooke, I don't know much about either. I'd prefer to be able to reserve a spot/shelter. I'm looking mid April time frame. Any other ideas??? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 09:47 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,711,982 times
Lee District RECenter?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:30 AM

84 posts, read 214,915 times
I remember going to a birthday party in that area, sort of. The park was very nice. It is called Lake Accotink Park. They had a few sheltered picnic tables, carousel, lake view, and fairly large playground. There is also a restroom.

Lake Accotink Park, Fairfax County Park Authority

Old 03-12-2012, 09:03 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,904,216 times
I was going to suggest Lake Accotink too They have a carousel and mini-golf, I believe...though neither opens until Memorial day I think.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:10 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,453,422 times
How about Playground: Clemyjontri Park, Clemy Park, Fairfax County Park Authority (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/clemyjontri/playground.htm - broken link)?

Old 03-12-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
Lee District RECenter?
They have a splash park but I don't think it is open until June.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:45 PM

251 posts, read 929,790 times
I have not looked at Lee Rec Center. How far is the playground from restrooms, which I assume are in the rec center? Do you think it will be a madhouse on a Saturday in April with sports and such?
I looked at Jefferson manor today, does anyone know anything about it?
Thanks for the other suggestions, they may be a bit too far west for us.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:48 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,464,811 times
I agree Lake Accotink is nice, they have the picnic area, carousel and the little mini-beach there. Last time I was there we re-enacted the Omaha beach landing scene from Saving Private Ryan from the small beach there, it was pretty cool

Old 03-12-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elacklen View Post
I have not looked at Lee Rec Center. How far is the playground from restrooms, which I assume are in the rec center? Do you think it will be a madhouse on a Saturday in April with sports and such?
I looked at Jefferson manor today, does anyone know anything about it?
Thanks for the other suggestions, they may be a bit too far west for us.
Here's a description (including a map) of the family area - note the water play area would be closed in April, so you may want to phone the RECenter to see if the restrooms would be open in that area.

Outdoor Activities at Lee District RECenter, Fairfax County Park Authority

Old 03-13-2012, 03:27 AM

429 posts, read 714,414 times
Cool Jefferson Manor Park

Here's the link to Jefferson Manor Park
Jefferson Manor Park Reservable Picnic Shelter*- Fairfax County, Virginia
When I'm here with my grandchildren it is rarely busy. Sometimes there's a baseball game going on, or a couple of guys shooting hoops; but mostly it is just a few families playing on the playground. I did see one birthday party there once. As you see, prices are $85 for a weekend day. It's a nice open area. Would be great to fly kites there, I bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia