U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:34 PM

412 posts, read 474,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
WHY does this word always get filtered?

Maybe the filter program is a little anal retentive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 07:35 PM

412 posts, read 474,517 times
It didn't filter anal.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:10 PM

207 posts, read 222,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian View Post
It's hard also for her since she is still working/living in Charlotte, NC while I'm here. I'm hoping and praying that she gets something soon because traveling each weekend 6 hours there and back isn't too fun for now but I'm sure we'll look back one day and say it was completely worth it .
Good luck! My husband and I did almost that exact drive most weekends for about 8 months last year while we were engaged. Finally, I gave up, quit my job, and just moved up here to be with him! It was a little tough being on one income for a while but definitely worth it.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:42 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,379,457 times
I was able to find a job within 5 weeks of looking and 3 weeks of actually living here. I applied for countless jobs through all the typical sites - monster, careerbuilders, craigslist, etc. But I ended up signing on with a temp-to-hire agency and found my job pretty quickly after that.

The benefit of those services is that they will send you on temporary assignments while they are setting up interviews for more permanent positions - and it's at no cost to you. So at least you have some income while waiting for that permanent position. I used Curzon Staffing in Old Town Alexandria.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:13 AM

15,402 posts, read 17,311,066 times
I just wanted to say best of luck to those of you still looking, and congrats to those of you who easily found jobs. Networking is the key, IMO. Even if you think you don't know anyone out here, I'll bet there are people you used to know in your former town who moved out here. Why not drop them a line. It's fun to get together for socializing, and who knows--they might just have a job lead, too.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:57 AM

76 posts, read 116,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatelover View Post
Good luck! My husband and I did almost that exact drive most weekends for about 8 months last year while we were engaged. Finally, I gave up, quit my job, and just moved up here to be with him! It was a little tough being on one income for a while but definitely worth it.

Thanks! I'm hoping for a similar scenario but hopefully not for 8 months . I'm kinda hoping she "gives up" and just comes up here to be w/ me too hehe. BTW what part of town did you all move to? I'm currently in Haymarket on a month-to-month lease but am thinking that the 45 minute drive to work at 5am each day isn't worth it ha. Was thinking more along the lines of Fairfax or somewhere close like that?

Old 09-13-2010, 06:01 AM

76 posts, read 116,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
WHY does this word always get filtered?
Ha, not sure! Didn't even think about that as I was typing it!

Old 09-13-2010, 08:20 AM

1,030 posts, read 815,080 times
Quote:
Currently in the process actually! I was hired approximately 6 weeks ago and my spouse is looking quite hard for a position here. She is well qualified with bachelor's education (*** laude) and has just under two years experience (We're a young couple in our mid-twenties) and is finding it to be pretty hard to find anything as of yet. She has had one interview and applied for approximately 90+ positions (she keeps an excel spreadsheet of each one.. yes she's that detailed haha). It's hard also for her since she is still working/living in Charlotte, NC while I'm here. I'm hoping and praying that she gets something soon because traveling each weekend 6 hours there and back isn't too fun for now but I'm sure we'll look back one day and say it was completely worth it .

Appalachian - My husband and I are in this exact position. We moved down here to Charlotte 4 years ago. Now we are moving back to the DC area (Loudoun County)as soon as our house sells here in Concord. My husband drives back and forth every weekend and I have gone up a couple of times though I have the two kids (2.5 years and 16 months). I can't wait until this is over. Best of luck to your fiance on getting a job!

Old 09-13-2010, 08:33 AM

26,020 posts, read 44,972,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused View Post
Maybe the filter program is a little anal retentive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused View Post
It didn't filter anal.
Quote:
Ha, not sure! Didn't even think about that as I was typing it!
Completely random and off-topic, but this was a nice little humorous tangent to elicit a few nervous laughs and grins at least. LOL!

Old 09-13-2010, 08:38 AM

4 posts, read 14,162 times
Default No luck for me

My wife transferred voluntarily within her company from Tampa Bay area to Reston office. I am a full time entertainer who has worked 5 nights per week for the last 20 years. She moved up in June, and I followed in July after completing some contracts. I gave it a try - thinking it would be no problem as Ive been extremely successful at what I do- but have had little luck finding venues who host what I do ( I do a single act- music). I'm very good at entertaining and providing music, but now have to go back to the St Pete area beaches, as we need the two incomes. It breaks her heart and is not good for us, though we have a very strong relationship and have been married only 11 months. I can't continue to pay my personal bills (mortgage on a house in PA and car, etc) using my savings- (savings disappears fast when using it as your income). She pays the rent and bills here which is over twice the amt we paid as a couple in FL. - hence she can't pay both our bills. I hate NoVa- its ruined my life for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia