U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which County Is Safer And Has A Better Quaility Of Life?
Fairfax County 21 67.74%
Prince William County 9 29.03%
Neither 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 03:18 AM

7,728 posts, read 8,626,461 times
Default Poll: Fairfax or Prince William?

Which county is safer and has a better quality of life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 06:11 AM

407 posts, read 1,586,015 times
This is a very difficult question to answer, because many different variables play a roll in what quality of life means for a person.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:24 AM

566 posts, read 2,100,805 times
I lived in Fairfax for almost 25 years and then moved to PW. You couldn't pay me enough to move back.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:20 AM

23 posts, read 85,488 times
Hi,
You know there are potential problems everywhere. There are many sites where you can obtain crime statistics, including "Megans Law." Depending on your particular concerns you may find that neither county may meet your needs. This area is extremely diverse and densely populated and very different from many parts of the west. But it is an exciting and vibrant area with unlimited potential and a variety of employment opportunities. Hope this helps in some small way. Glad to help you if you need it.

Last edited by Jammie; 06-29-2007 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: no realtor links allowed

Old 06-30-2007, 12:32 AM

12 posts, read 27,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS827 View Post
I lived in Fairfax for almost 25 years and then moved to PW. You couldn't pay me enough to move back.

Just curious, DavidS827, because I have posted many queries re: PW county vs. Fairfax, including traffic, etc.. Why do you prefer PW over Fairfax? Also, do you commute to Alexandria or D.C. from PW? Thanks for your help

Old 07-02-2007, 08:59 AM

407 posts, read 1,586,015 times
The areas of PWC near route 66, (Gainesville, Bristow, Haymarket) are very nice and are still within a reasonable commuting distances into the likes Tyson's Corner, Alexandria, Chantilly, Herdon, Fairfax, etc...You'll just have to battle with Route 66 traffic..since it's the most direct and probably the fastest route into the aforementioned areas.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:09 AM

566 posts, read 2,100,805 times
My experience has been that the people in PW are friendlier than they are in Fairfax. There just doesn't seem to be the same arrogance here that there is in Fairfax. Services, homes and gas are also cheaper in PW. Yes, you will have a longer commute, but you wont have the extra weekend work that comes with buying a much older home for the same price in Fairfax. I know a lot of people that bought in FC to save time commuting only to spend it (and a whole lot more) fixing everything that comes with buying a 20 year old house.

I did commute to DC (Connecticut Ave) for a while. It took me a little over an hour, but I was able to go in/leave early and avoid some of the traffic. I also learned as many back roads and short cuts as I could. The commute wasn't great, but it never affected my quality of life, took away from my family or drove me to insanity.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Old 07-13-2007, 06:22 AM

257 posts, read 711,189 times
PWC by far. Fairfax i think is built to its limits. There is still a whole backside to PWC that is open farm land and the foothills. 20 mins more to work for a WAY better quality of life. Seriously some of those communities off of bristow road and in haymarket are just beautiful as can be.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:44 PM

141 posts, read 503,859 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks, we are very much leaning to Prince William County, Manassas in particular

Thanks

Old 08-04-2007, 04:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,903 times
I agree that it depends on what people like. Fairfax is constantly being redone-more construction, trying to fit in as many houses and businesses as technically possible. Prince William is better in that it is not overdeveloped like Fairfax. However, Fairfax provides an excellent education (although so does PW), and I was happy to grow up there because I happened to come across a very diverse group of friends. (I later moved to an area that was all white-no seriously-ALL, and I appreciated the diversity much more once I realized I was lucky and had been exposed to so many different cultures while living in NOVA.) And all of NOVA is subject to traffic, so you can hardly avoid that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia