Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 12:42 PM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about this lately because we had the opportunity to move to Long Island earlier this year. One of the pros was access to the beach, which would have been virtually in our backyard.

Growing up near Philadelphia, we used to go "down the shore" much more often, as we were only about 1 1/2 hours away, so we often did day trips. Here in NoVa, with the distance and the traffic, it's impossible to do a day trip (to an ocean beach). And on average, we only visit the beach about 4-5 times per year.

How many times per year to do you visit an ocean beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 12:53 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
Once or twice. The logistics of getting there and back in a day are a pain in the neck, and the cost and crowds of a weekend trip are a huge deterrent. This year, I spent a long weekend in NJ and one in Florida, because if I was going to go to all the effort of going to the beach, it might as well be a really nice one without the crazy crowds of the ones closest to here.

I used to live a mile from the beach. We'd ride bikes there as kids, carrying our boogie boards as we went! That was my mom's escape plan when she was sick of us. We'd round up all our cousins and friends, and she'd drop us off at the beach for a few hours.

So actually, I take that back. If you count going home to visit family, it's 3 or 4 times.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:48 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,229,619 times
I haven't been in the habit of going to the beach for quite some time, but this year I really wanted to take my kids, one of whom hadn't been to the ocean yet. So on the past 2 weekends I did day trips, one to Lewes, then the next weekend to Bethany. Maybe it's because it's late in the season, but I didn't run into any significant traffic leaving NoVa around 8am and departing from the beach around 4 or 5pm.

It's about 3 hours to the beach from Alexandria. Spend four or five hours at the beach, then come home. Next summer I'll probably go 3 or 4 times, that's enough for me, considering all the other kids' activities that fill up summer.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:53 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
It's not impossible to do a day trip. It's a 3.5 hour drive from Woodbridge. Sometimes I can do it in just over 3 hours.

I went about 2 weeks ago. Left the house at around 6:30 a.m., got to Ocean City, MD and 9:50. Stayed ont he beach until 3:30-ish, showered, and then went out to dinner at around 5:00 p.m. That actually was pretty quick and we had the kids down to the boardwalk around 6:15. We got popcorn, ice cream, rode a few rides, went in one or two stores, hit Starbucks on the way out and I was home by about 10:30-11:00.

I usually do this about 3 times each summer.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:59 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
We probably go 3-4 times a year for day trips. Some years we take a longer beach trip too. This year we went to Cape May for a week.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:29 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,381,324 times
I do about 3 times a year, two overnight trips and a daytrip.

I'm similar to robbobobbo. I find it's about 3 hours from Alexandria. I'll leave at 9, get there around 12, stay in the area till 8 and drive home.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:32 PM

184 posts, read 311,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
We probably go 3-4 times a year for day trips. Some years we take a longer beach trip too. This year we went to Cape May for a week.
Same here, 2-4 times a year, usually the Jersey shore, Wildwood, stone harbor and Cape may.
If we go it is for multiple days in a row though

day trip, somewhere along the chesapeake bay works for us

Old 08-31-2010, 02:48 PM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
Okay, I misspoke. It's not "impossible" to do a daytrip. But for my family, it's not enjoyable (3 kids ages 3, 5, and 8 and a husband who likes to stop every 10 minutes for a cup of coffee and to go to the bathroom). We can turn a 3-hour trip into a 5-hour one, no problem. :-) I am actually surprised how many of you do day trips to the beach.

So far this year, we've been to:

Chincoteague, VA
Cape May, NJ
Wrightsville Beach, NC

Before the end of the year, we'll probably hit the beach one more time for a night or two and then do our long car ride to Florida and hit the beach a few times while we're there.

Last edited by michgc; 08-31-2010 at 02:59 PM..

Old 08-31-2010, 02:54 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Lately I just go once a year. The drive over the bridge is starting to become a bit much for me. I used to like to do the walk over the bridge, but that's starting to become something I'd rather not do too.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:00 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Okay, I misspoke. It's not "impossible" to do a daytrip. But for my family, it's not enjoyable (3 kids ages 3, 5, and 8 and a husband who likes to stop every 10 minutes for a cup of coffee and to go to the bathroom). We can turn a 3-hour trip into a 5-hour one, no problem. :-) I am actually surprised how many of you do day trips to the beach.

Well, that is a bit challenging.

I have done it with two small children but I always took my parents or a friend (my husband is not a "beach" person). It makes it far worse when the kids outnumber the adults. And, yes, everyone has to be on board with day trips. They are not leisurely and you have to be pretty commando. We only stop once or twice. Usually one bathroom break and one breakfast break. If we are lucky, we can combine them.

I actually don't find day trips enjoyable, but sometimes you just want to go to the beach and you *can't* get away for a few days or afford those exhorbitant prices. The day trip is fun but tiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia