Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,029 times

Advertisements

I'm a 23 year old, who is moving to teach at in Prince William County (Nokesville, VA). I need to find a furnished place and would like to find roommates. I'm looking for something for just the school year, as I may or may not return the following year. I've looked in Gainsville and Manassas. I know there are other young professional in the area, but haven't been able to find any potential roommates. Does anyone have suggestions on where I should look? I've advertised on various web sites like roommates.com, but haven't had any luck. Does anyone have suggestions on looking for housing/roommates in the area? Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 11:10 AM

414 posts, read 2,280,177 times
Local newpapers or craiglist

Old 06-28-2007, 11:21 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times
Definitely try craig's list (northern VA) under "rooms shared." Several people at my former job found their roommates there. Good luck.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:03 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,039 times
Those suggestions posted about Centreville are in nice neighborhoods.
One of them was just blocks from where I used to live before I moved to Hampton Roads 3 years ago.

My daughter is 22 and still lives in the area and really loves it! She doesn't even have a car! Everything is close and there IS nightlife in Centreville.
Close to Fair Oaks Mall and just about anything else you need.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:50 PM

414 posts, read 2,280,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
Those suggestions posted about Centreville are in nice neighborhoods.
One of them was just blocks from where I used to live before I moved to Hampton Roads 3 years ago.

My daughter is 22 and still lives in the area and really loves it! She doesn't even have a car! Everything is close and there IS nightlife in Centreville.
Close to Fair Oaks Mall and just about anything else you need.
Centreville, is one town I lived in while in NoVa and really enjoyed. You have easy access to tons of shopping, dining, recreation and a good amount of nightlife in town, and nearby.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:38 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
As others have said, Craigs List, Craigs List, Craigs List. It is pretty much THE main place for young people looking for roommates nowadays. It's where I've found every place I've ever lived in.

So far as Centreville's nightlife.....huh? I used to live in Centreville and while it's true that there are a handful of places open late into the night, I wouldn't say it has a terrific nightlife by any means. It's pretty much just your standard suburban fare, with a few chain restaurants or a bar or two in a strip mall that stays open late. There's not a high concentration of late-night bars, restaurants, clubs or live music venues as you'd find in places like Arlington or DC. It's pretty much just a random spot here and there that stays open late, nothing crazy, and you have to drive from Point A to Point B. It's not the sort of place where you can go on a bar crawl; not that this is the only sort of nightlife activity that is worthwhile, but it's pretty much family-friendly suburbia. However, that's pretty much the case for any place that far out from DC.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:01 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,039 times
I agree that Centreville is family surburbia, but considering where the poster is working and wants to live - there IS some nightlife available to her. I believe the poster is a young teacher so I can't imagine she will want to be out on the town every night anyway. However, it has been awhile since I was 22 .

I really loved Centreville - lots of nice young professionals - single, married and families makes it a very safe community (you still have to use common sense).

Old 06-29-2007, 08:54 AM

23 posts, read 117,676 times
Hi,
Listen, since you will probably be here for a year why don't you scratch the room mate idea. There are places in the Manassas areas where you can get furnished apartments. If you are looking for nightlife just go into DC. You aren't going to find anything substantial in Prince William County. Now if you really want a room mate, why don't you check with George Mason University or a teachers blog. I'm sure they have some resources and they may be more reliable than Craigs List. I know that there is a PW County intra website and you can probably poke around there if you already have a contract to work in the school system next term. Nokesville is a really nice area but it is a bedroom community.

Last edited by Jammie; 06-29-2007 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: realtor links are not allowed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia