Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 02:30 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
. . . She and I each picked out a couple items from the bowl, and when my mom offered to pay for mine, I said, "no, no, don't worry about it," at which point the clerk angrily let out a huge, huffy sigh and said, "is it going on this ticket, or NOT???" (You have to remember that not only was there no one in line behind us, we were the only people in the store. . . .
And . . . you should have asked the clerk who was huffing and puffing, "Why, is that a problem?" If she still had an attitude, then you could reply, "Yeah, I didn't think so."

But if she calmed down a little, you could have said, "We can ring this up separately" or "Don't worry, I'll pay for this in cash."

Or toss some humor in there and look behind you and say, "Whoa, are you yelling at someone behind me?"

There have been several occasions when a clerk acted gruffly towards me and I responded (in a low voice), "You don't have to be so mean to me" or "You don't have to yell at me" whereas the clerk really calmed down, I guess from embarrassment.

Otherwise, I'm glad you had a good shopping trip with your mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 03:09 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Magical? That's an extreme thing to be expecting, so no wonder you're disappointed.

Sorry to dilute the dramatic rhetoric, but what the typical person says is more like "Reston is very appealing" or "Reston is very pretty" or "Reston has a fair number of young people, lots of stores and restaurants, and lots of things to do" or "Reston is a very pleasant community with a wide variety of amenities within walking distance." Those are all realistic reasons to love Reston, but it's still just a suburb, not something "magical".

If you want a community that feels magical, you're expecting too much and you won't be happy anywhere you go. (Except maybe Disney World. )
I think what RR is referring to is the aura in Northern VA that says it's a great place to live for every living soul. He and I have found out the hard way that it isn't true and some would be better off not living here. No one is looking for "magical" but I don't think expecting a great place for a very high cost-of-living is out of line.

I think RR "magical" adjective use is more wanting to live somewhere that feels like home. Honestly, I believe that there are some places in the US where you won't feel like home no matter how hard to try. More than likely I'll be leaving my current small military town once I finish my degree but it does has an atmosphere that is tight-knit which I find appealing.

Quote:
She and I each picked out a couple items from the bowl, and when my mom offered to pay for mine, I said, "no, no, don't worry about it," at which point the clerk angrily let out a huge, huffy sigh and said, "is it going on this ticket, or NOT???" (You have to remember that not only was there no one in line behind us, we were the only people in the store.
As someone who worked retail in NoVA, I found that a little outta line. I understand the frustration but that could've been handled better by the clerk. Plus the fact that no one else was in the store makes it all the more crazy.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:48 PM
TPL

136 posts, read 317,490 times
Where have you been for the past decade? The whole D.C. area is relatively rude overall, and it's nothing new.

As for RTC, I find it funny that you're talking so much garbage about it, when you're from FFX. City (FTL).

Old 09-09-2010, 11:41 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
And . . . you should have asked the clerk who was huffing and puffing, "Why, is that a problem?" If she still had an attitude, then you could reply, "Yeah, I didn't think so."

But if she calmed down a little, you could have said, "We can ring this up separately" or "Don't worry, I'll pay for this in cash."

Or toss some humor in there and look behind you and say, "Whoa, are you yelling at someone behind me?"

There have been several occasions when a clerk acted gruffly towards me and I responded (in a low voice), "You don't have to be so mean to me" or "You don't have to yell at me" whereas the clerk really calmed down, I guess from embarrassment.

Otherwise, I'm glad you had a good shopping trip with your mom.
Hehehe... thanks. *sigh* Yet again, (C-D-delivered) hindsight is 20/20.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:48 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPL View Post
Where have you been for the past decade? The whole D.C. area is relatively rude overall, and it's nothing new.

As for RTC, I find it funny that you're talking so much garbage about it, when you're from FFX. City (FTL).
Dude, what does "FTL" mean?

And does Fairfax City have a bad reputation? I'm not 'from' here (in fact, I've only lived here about 2.5 months), but I'm definitely interested in learning more about native "average dudes'" opinions on particular NoVA towns (or more often CDPs) and how they might shift as a reflection of cultural changes in the area.. in fact, that sort of thing is just up my alley.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:34 AM

648 posts, read 1,333,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Dude, what does "FTL" mean?

And does Fairfax City have a bad reputation? I'm not 'from' here (in fact, I've only lived here about 2.5 months), but I'm definitely interested in learning more about native "average dudes'" opinions on particular NoVA towns (or more often CDPs) and how they might shift as a reflection of cultural changes in the area.. in fact, that sort of thing is just up my alley.
I'm just glad I'm not the only one here who uses the word, "dude."
Haven't heard anyone say it here yet!

Old 09-10-2010, 08:53 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPL View Post
Must be one of those snobbish retail clerks at RTC the OP was talking about. Lowly Fairfaxian, bow to the status of RTC!

I can only guess that FTL means for the lose, as opposed to FTW for the win.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 746 times
I find the whole Dc area is rude. Some people look strange at you for saying hi. I'm originally from Ohio, and we say hello/ hi to people. So moving here was a shock. I consider myself kind to people unless you **** me off then it's on.lol. All I want is good service from workers. I worked in many places before and always gave good service. I expect the same, if not you get what you give. Any place I have ate and gave me good service gets a great tip.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:19 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
I'm not in RTC much, but I have never noticed a difference in service between it and other suburban shopping areas.

As for its fakeness, well I would love a walkable urban type town center that has multiple properties with multiple owners, and the resulting diversity of retail and street life, heavy presence of non-chains, etc. But for a variety of reasons, the development process the last few decades seldom generates new areas like that (and no, NoVa is not exceptional in that regard). So we are stuck with the old areas, and since NoVa was mainly rural pre WW2, there just arent many of those old areas. So an outdoor suburban shopping mall with some urban feel, like RTC, is the best we got. I am glad its there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia