U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 05:12 PM

7,299 posts, read 9,126,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'm not agreeing with austindoxie about Maryland drivers but there was a comment upthread about, how everytime you watch the news and they show the clip about someone driving through a house, restaurant, store, etc. it is always a Maryland driver.
Yes, I knew that. Doesn't change my point though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 07:41 PM

68 posts, read 61,668 times
Some of these articles are quite contradicting. I just read an article dated Sept 2010 by ALLSTATE that the top three cities with the worst drivers were Philly, Dallas and LA (in that exact order). Sounds like the problem is you have motorist from various areas of VA and MD coming together as one and are bumping heads with the DC drivers.

My suggestion is to try to adapt to the various driving styles other have and try to anticipate what's going to happen.

Last of all, be happy you're not in TX (dallas) and don't have to deal with illegal immigrants driving on the wrong side of the freeway.

Allstate article: Study Says America's Worst Drivers Live in Philly, Dallas and LA - FoxNews.com

Evidence motorists in TX can't drive.
32-Car Pileup Stops Rush Hour (http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/112910-30-car-pileup-stops-rush-hour - broken link)

and one more for the road.
Glaring reflection blamed for 50-car pileup | Dallas - Fort Worth News | wfaa.com | Related

Old 04-21-2011, 08:18 PM

89 posts, read 98,596 times
We were driving up to Baltimore a few days ago, and while on the beltway, this woman is in the far left lane going 50-55, nearly causing an accident as people are slamming on their brakes approaching her. As we passed her, I saw her smiling to herself, obviously proud of "driving the legal speed limit" in the left lane, while a younger lady (I assumed her daughter) was in the passenger seat shaking her head and slouching in the seat. It's like these people want to make a point by getting in the far left lane and not going 1mph over the speed limit, knowing full well that no one is going 55 on the beltway. I'll take all the speeders over the slow person in the far left lane every day of the week.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:07 PM

834 posts, read 867,971 times
Oh my....

I have some gripes.

1) Slowness. Seriously, everyone around here drives like they just had a stroke. Red light turns green? Wait at light for 5 seconds. Why? I DONT KNOW!

2) For the love of bleeding (@!#(!@, when you reach a green light and want to turn right it doesnt mean STOP, look both ways, THEN turn. TURN YOU !(@!#(!

3) There's nothing wrong with aggressive driving if you know what you are doing - in fact, its kind of nice - in Europe people get this right all time. Here its either two settings: "moth fart aggressive" or "20 kilos of coke in my trunk and im running from the law"

Maryland Tags: 20 kilos of blow setting. Tailgating at 85mph seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do, even if there's 30 cars in front that they clearly wouldn't get around anyway

Virginia/DC Tags: Geriatric stroke victims driving with the aggressiveness of a moth fart.

And of course there's the Police tag: Do whatever I want including stop in the middle of an intersection to watch the sunset.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:12 PM

834 posts, read 867,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Okay, so because this one lady made a poor decision in judgment that automatically makes Maryland drivers worse? That doesn't make sense. Have you driven in DC? Honestly have you really really driven in the city? Anybody that has driven in DC and Maryland would almost always agree that DC drivers are far worst than Maryland drivers.
IMHO, Maryland drivers are waaaaaaaaaay worse. But to each his own.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:57 AM

18,717 posts, read 14,886,656 times
Awww, Maryland drivers are ok by me. Without them we wouldn't have nearly as much ticket money in our state coffers.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:18 AM

47 posts, read 92,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
Oh my....

I have some gripes.

1) Slowness. Seriously, everyone around here drives like they just had a stroke. Red light turns green? Wait at light for 5 seconds. Why? I DONT KNOW!
i see the opposite where you'd think you were racing funny car vs john force and gunning for perfect reaction time. i always wonder why ppl gun it just to be sitting at the next light up ahead.

i usually hesitate a sec (not 5) to ensure folks who SHOULD be stopping are actually NOT trying to run the light way after its red. Ive seen a several cars get T-boned because they wanted to go right away w/o checking for these clowns hell bent on running the light. better safe than sorry, esp with kids in the car.

Quote:
IMHO, Maryland drivers are waaaaaaaaaay worse.....
^^ def agree with this!

Old 04-22-2011, 06:45 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,872,607 times
Sorry to seem like I'm piling on, but I have to agree about the Maryland thing. Whenever I see somebody doing something stupid on the road, 99 times out of 100 it's someone with Maryland plates

Old 04-22-2011, 06:52 AM

7,475 posts, read 4,971,621 times
Quote:
IMHO, Maryland drivers are waaaaaaaaaay worse. But to each his own.
It's like I always say

MD drivers are overly aggressive, most of us can be reckless.

VA drivers are too passive, overly concerned about police, too nosy and do a lot of rubbernecking, and the people on 66 have to have the highest rates of distracted drivers in the nation

DC drivers just don't care. They run red lights all the time, don't stop at stop signs to make right turns, drive through parking lots, cut people off and just overall have no regard for anyone on the road.

If you spend one day driving through DC, you will notice a huge difference in the way people drive and no I'm not talking about you driving through Friendship Heights or something. I mean drive through most of the parts of DC and you see how bad it is.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:53 AM

7,475 posts, read 4,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Sorry to seem like I'm piling on, but I have to agree about the Maryland thing. Whenever I see somebody doing something stupid on the road, 99 times out of 100 it's someone with Maryland plates

Didn't VA just have a 56 car pile up a few months ago in Prince William County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia