Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:43 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,618,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Oh please, you mean to tell me you've never broken any traffic laws? Get off your high horse

If you're throwing accusations blindly, you're probably that guy I had to pass on the turning lane because you had your turn signal on for the last five miles
I'm sorry if I came across that way the fact is everyone, who has gotten behind the wheel of a vehicle, has sped at one point or another including myself. The point of concern are those people who speed habitually and recklessly. These people are the threat to society I am more than a little bit frustrated with people who think it is okay to run others off the road to drive a little faster while endangering other motorists, People who think going 20 over is no problem and people who like you pass others illegally The speed limit is the speed limit for a reason, the turn lane is a turn lane not a passing lane, and a double yellow line or single white line means no passing/changeing lanes. And by the way, I do not leave my signal on for longer than I need to that bothers me just as much as speeders.

Last edited by Teebyrd86; 06-06-2011 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 05:48 AM

191 posts, read 357,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
I'm sorry if I came across that way the fact is everyone, who has gotten behind the wheel of a vehicle, has sped at one point or another including myself. The point of concern are those people who speed habitually and recklessly. These people are the threat to society I am more than a little bit frustrated with people who think it is okay to run others off the road to drive a little faster while endangering other motorists, People who think going 20 over is no problem and people who like you pass others illegally The speed limit is the speed limit for a reason, the turn lane is a turn lane not a passing lane, and a double yellow line or single white line means no passing/changeing lanes. And by the way, I do not leave my signal on for longer than I need to that bothers me just as much as speeders.
How slow were you going because usually when this happens sadly to say its because someone is going below the speed limit and someone gets pissed off and as soon as they can pass the slower driver they do....even if its illegal I think some people are comfortable with slower speeds which is fine while others like faster speeds, problems occur when a person who is more comfortable with slower speeds slows down to **** off a person who likes to drive fast to "teach them a lesson" or a faster person rides a cars bummer to "make them go faster" Both methods lead to someone getting pissed off and passing you and if you did this then that is why that happened to you! If not then that guy was just a moron and a jerk and will eventually crash.......i think you did the method of trying to " teach him a lesson" though Speed limits are made for a reason but its not our jobs as drivers to enforce them leave that to police Trust me they write enough tickets!

Old 06-07-2011, 06:39 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,131,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
The truth is, if you're going the speed limit in this area, you're going too slow. People routinely drive 5-10MPH over the speed limit. Even in the HOV lane where the speed is 70, if you're not going 80+ you'll be tailgated. Whether it's right or wrong, it is what it is.

I learned to drive in this area so I habitually speed so that's my experience. Maybe where you moved from they stick closer to the speed limit so it's a culture shock to see how people drive here. If you think it's bad here, take a taxi ride in Chicago for a white knuckle good time.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:32 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,618,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACollegeStudent View Post
i think you did the method of trying to " teach him a lesson" though Speed limits are made for a reason but its not our jobs as drivers to enforce them leave that to police Trust me they write enough tickets!
Actually, he had just pulled out of a side street, I was going a little above the speed limit because of the fact that he was trailing behind me so close. I was simply driving not trying to teach lessons.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:44 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
A widely practiced protocol when coming upon slower traffic in the left-hand lane is two quick flashes of the high-beams, this from a safe and respectable distance behind of course. The proper response to seeing two such flashes in your rear-view mirror is a quick, friendly wave and a move of one lane to the right as soon as possible. It just isn't that hard to cooperate out there. But it is a whole lot safer.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:42 PM

257 posts, read 565,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
The truth is, if you're going the speed limit in this area, you're going too slow. People routinely drive 5-10MPH over the speed limit. Even in the HOV lane where the speed is 70, if you're not going 80+ you'll be tailgated. Whether it's right or wrong, it is what it is.
The first part is true... I've driven the Dulles Toll Road every day for 2.5 years, which is crawling with cops -- I take it about 4.5 miles, and routinely see 2-3 cops out there -- and I've never been bothered for going <70.

The thing that bugs me about the later part of your statement is that in VA, 75 in a 55 or 80+ anywhere else on the open limited-access highway is reckless driving. To have people tailgate me for not reckless driving bugs that crap out of me. FWIW, many moons ago in the late evening hours, I did get a reckless driving ticket for going 84 in a 55.

So, if keeping my but out of reckless driving territory is a problem for other drivers, tough @#$@#, they can take it up with the lawmakers.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:56 PM

22 posts, read 21,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantia10000 View Post
I'm shocked about the following aspects of DC-area drivers:

1. Slowness
2. Driving (not passing) in the left lane
3. General non-aggressiveness
4. Lack of acceleration
here are some of the explanations we came up with. Wondering what others think
Here is my explanation

1. Roads here are plagued with excessive traffic lighting. The DOT just loves traffic lights. They are so stupid that they never bother to synchronize them, they just use sensors so a single car coming from a stupid little subdivision can stop the flow of traffic on a major road, so you're better off slowing down at each intersection because you will probably get stopped. In order to survive the million traffic lights on your way you have to drive either 40 MPH or 80 MPH. Anything in between is going to get you stopped.

2. This is due to the rudeness of most drivers. It's a courtesy issue, and most people here lack it (not just in driving). It only takes one stupid driver (and there are many of them here) to block off the left lane. It's probably what they're used to back home. The stupid cops handing speeding tickets should be enforcing this, not speed limits. In fact I would never speed if I had an open left lane. I could just pass and move on.

3. I think this goes back to #1. What's the point of being aggressive if you've going to be stopped over and over and over? I am usually aggressive only when the conditions permit, i.e. if there are three green lights within 1 mile, then I will go 20-30 MPH over the speed limit to get through them. Otherwise there is no point.

4. This is also related to #1 and #3. Really, the main problem with traffic here is A. the ridiculous amount of traffic lights and B. the left lane campers.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:22 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
What I'd love to know is why do people in this area get so irate when they obviously break a law and get caught for it? Don't be mad at the police because they caught you, be mad at your ignorant self because you can't learn to deal with the consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia