U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 05:39 PM

5,422 posts, read 9,034,349 times
I'm not sure where the people that are geographically in NORTHERN VA should post but I think of NOVA as the Metro area (which does NOT include Winchester, Fredericksburg, etc.), i.e.: Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, Manassas, etc. to some extent Leesburg (Eastern portion) but that's pushing it IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 05:42 PM

26,225 posts, read 45,926,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I'm not sure where the people that are geographically in NORTHERN VA should post but I think of NOVA as the Metro area (which does NOT include Winchester, Fredericksburg, etc.), i.e.: Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, Manassas, etc. to some extent Leesburg (Eastern portion) but that's pushing it IMO

As shown in the map above Clarke County (Berryville) is now considered part of the MSA. The CSA includes Culpeper, Fredericksburg, and Winchester.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:12 PM

As stated, I was stating what I THINK OF as NOVA (many others do as well).

Defining "Northern Virginia"

"Northern Virginia" is more of a functional name than a rigidly defined area. Much like Virginia's second largest region, Hampton Roads, there is no single entity which clearly defines the boundaries of the region for all purposes in a manner such as the legal boundaries of states, counties, cities and towns.
Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia CSA

For statistical purposes, the federal government defines certain portions of the area in its definition of a Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA). Presently included jurisdiction are Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, and Prince William counties, and the independent cities of Alexandria, Falls Church, Fairfax, Manassas, and Manassas Park.[citation needed]

Businesses, governments and non-profit agencies may define the area considered "Northern Virginia" differently for various purposes. Beyond the areas closest to Washington, D.C., many communities also have close economic ties, as well as important functional ones regarding transportation issues such as roads, railroads, and airports.

Under broad and varying criteria, additional jurisdictions which may be considered part of Northern Virginia (which are outside the MSA-defined area) include Clarke, Culpeper, Fauquier, Frederick, Madison, Page, Rappahannock, Shenandoah, Spotsylvania, Stafford, and Warren counties, as well as the independent cities of Fredericksburg and Winchester.[citation needed]

Last edited by Flamingo13; 09-07-2010 at 06:30 PM..

Old 09-07-2010, 06:18 PM

7,722 posts, read 11,616,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
As shown in the map above Clarke County (Berryville) is now considered part of the MSA. The CSA includes Culpeper, Fredericksburg, and Winchester.
Wikipedia would seem to confirm your information: Combined statistical area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .
(Click on the "micropolitan" link then click on the map to the right to see Culpeper in its own bluish metro area.)

I'd only wonder what ratio of residents in those counties and cities you mention would consider themselves as Northern Virginians. Fredericksburg citizens may feel "schitzophrenic" as they're pretty much a Richmond exurb as well.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:20 PM

Flamingo13, I didn't mean to somewhat duplicate your response.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Flamingo13, I didn't mean to somewhat duplicate your response.
No problem, Wiki actually has 2 definitions.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:41 PM

2,012 posts, read 2,851,061 times
That may be what the Feds think. Here's what the Commonwealth thinks:

Virginia Tourism Corp:

Northern Virginia:
- inner burbs, plus Loudoun, Prince William, Fauquier, Rappahannock, Culpeper, Stafford, Spotsylvania, and Caroline Counties

Shenandoah Valley:
- Frederick, Clarke, plus others along I-81 south to Roanoke

Virginia Planning District Commission (http://www.vapdc.org/aboutpdcs.htm - broken link):
- Northern Virginia Regional Commission: Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, + cities/towns

- Northern Shenandoah Valley Regional Commission: Clarke, Frederick, Page, Shenandoah, Warren + cities/towns

- Rappahannock-Rapidan Regional Council: Culpeper, Fauquier, Madison, Orange, Rappahannock + towns

- George Washington Regional Commission: Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania, Stafford + F'burg

There are many ways to slice this pie.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
That may be what the Feds think. Here's what the Commonwealth thinks:

Virginia Tourism Corp:

Northern Virginia:
- inner burbs, plus Loudoun, Prince William, Fauquier, Rappahannock, Culpeper, Stafford, Spotsylvania, and Caroline Counties

Shenandoah Valley:
- Frederick, Clarke, plus others along I-81 south to Roanoke

Virginia Planning District Commission (http://www.vapdc.org/aboutpdcs.htm - broken link):
- Northern Virginia Regional Commission: Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, + cities/towns

- Northern Shenandoah Valley Regional Commission: Clarke, Frederick, Page, Shenandoah, Warren + cities/towns

- Rappahannock-Rapidan Regional Council: Culpeper, Fauquier, Madison, Orange, Rappahannock + towns

- George Washington Regional Commission: Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania, Stafford + F'burg

There are many ways to slice this pie.
Interesting to see Rappahannock and Caroline Counties included by the VA Tourism Corp. I could see how a visitor or newcomer to the area would think all of this was Northern Virginia (as if "Southern Virginia" started on a straight line below Fredericksburg ) but I suppose the "local" definition is malleable and ultimately expandable.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:48 PM

26,225 posts, read 45,926,935 times
The Federal government generally adds counties to a metro area as determined by the percentage of residents in a county that commute to the nearby metropolitan area for employment. While most people would think you are nuts to consider Berryville to be "part of Greater DC", I can guarantee that a good chunk of the people moving into the newer subdivisions there do commute into the Dulles Tech Corridor for work. I've been looking at homes in Winchester lately online, and those on the east side of town are advertised by realtors as being in a "great commuter location." I received a flyer in my mailbox at my old apartment in Reston for Snowden Bridge, near Winchester, which advertised commuting proximity to the DC Metro Area employment centers. Route 7 is generally speaking much less of a bear than I-66 or I-95, which means people may not wish to move to The Plains, for example, and die along I-66 of boredom as they chug along or Spotsylvania County with similar traffic woes on I-95, but in off-peak hours you can get from Winchester/Berryville to the Dulles Tech Corridor in roughly an hour taking Route 7 to the Dulles Greenway/Toll Road. Tysons Corner would be about 75 minutes each way. How do I know this? I "tested" the commute from Winchester to Tysons Corner one day, and it wasn't bad at all until you hit Leesburg (and even then if I had taken 267 instead of 7 at that point I'm sure the headaches would have been much less). I'm considering eventually working 6 AM-4:30 PM on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday with Wednesdays off and teleworking one (or two if I'm lucky) days per week. I wouldn't foresee getting horribly burnt-out only commuting two days in a row at a time, or even just two days per week, since it's not "crucial" that I be physically present at my desk for my position. I'd imagine many people in the newer Redbud Run subdivision in Frederick County, just east of Winchester, power-commute. As long as housing prices in the more immediate suburban areas remain unattainable to middle-class professionals such as myself you're going to continue to see us push further and further out. The MAJORITY of my colleagues live at least 40 minutes away from our office.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:49 PM

382 posts, read 682,910 times
I consider anything that has a commuter train line going into DC part of NOVA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia