Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:07 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times

Advertisements

Hey guess what--I just saw my first Woolly Bear of the season, and this year they have stripes. Not super thick, but a lot thicker than last year!

(If you're new to the area, be sure to check out our local "weatherguy" the Woolly Bear. The one I saw today had a stripe about half the size of the ones in the photo in this thread. So, that means we'll get a cold winter but nothing like we had last year.)

Woolly Bears
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 11:23 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
LOL, I don't care how thick his stripe is this year. I'm buying a snow shovel. Just. In. Case.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:30 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
So that was what we saw yesterday on our way to school. Normie, I am getting a shovel to, I am not waiting until the last minute.

I was just fixing to ask a weather question, so Caladium please don't think I am trying to hijack your thread but I guess the appearance of the Wholly Bear means something. So can we look forward to more fall like weather in the coming weeks or at least hopeful that the 90 degree weather is gone?????? This last weekend was really nice, I could live with that. One of the teachers said she thought it was going to be an Indian Summer, not to sure what that means, but thinking it means the summer holds on longer than normal. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:14 PM

449 posts, read 1,394,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, I don't care how thick his stripe is this year. I'm buying a snow shovel. Just. In. Case.
We were at Home Depot the other day and I saw their selection of snow blowers. Given my age (55) and last year's record snow fall I admit I stood there for 10 minutes just thinking how nice it would be to have one of those, just in case...

Old 09-08-2010, 02:37 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
One of the teachers said she thought it was going to be an Indian Summer, not to sure what that means, but thinking it means the summer holds on longer than normal. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Indian summer is when we get a period of sunny, warm weather after the leaves have turned and also following an onset of frost... but before the first snowfall. It usually happens in late October or early November and is absolutely delightful.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:51 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Hey guess what--I just saw my first Woolly Bear of the season . . .
Okay, I thought you saw a grizzly or brown bear with a stripe, something unique to VA. Or I thought you were talking about a toy?

Aren't these things moths? Personally, I don't favor hairy caterpillars (versus skin ones) as most of them are moths and do damage. And they'll make you itch if you try to pick them up. But thanks for sharing your insight and prediction of snow (I already have my snow shovels ready to go but do need a bag of rock salt).

Old 09-08-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Okay, I thought you saw a grizzly or brown bear with a stripe, something unique to VA. Or I thought you were talking about a toy?

Aren't these things moths? Personally, I don't favor hairy caterpillars (versus skin ones) as most of them are moths and do damage. And they'll make you itch if you try to pick them up. But thanks for sharing your insight and prediction of snow (I already have my snow shovels ready to go but do need a bag of rock salt).
is the rock salt for the sidewalks? I have never lived where there is alot of snow and last year when we were in Arlington, the apt complex took care of it all

Old 09-08-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Indian summer is when we get a period of sunny, warm weather after the leaves have turned and also following an onset of frost... but before the first snowfall. It usually happens in late October or early November and is absolutely delightful.

oh that is just S Texas in the winter

Old 09-08-2010, 03:24 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
is the rock salt for the sidewalks? I have never lived where there is alot of snow and last year when we were in Arlington, the apt complex took care of it all
Yes, you throw it on your sidewalks and driveway after you finish shoveling. Some people throw it on before the snow falls to make shoveling easier. There are different names/brands and it now comes in different sizes of bags as well as plastic containers with handles.

Don't touch it with your bare hands though; it's caustic.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Yes, you throw it on your sidewalks and driveway after you finish shoveling. Some people throw it on before the snow falls to make shoveling easier. There are different names/brands and it now comes in different sizes of bags as well as plastic containers with handles.

Don't touch it with your bare hands though; it's caustic.
thanks for the advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia