Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:48 PM

6,706 posts, read 6,711,443 times

Advertisements

I find it remarkable that Falls Church and Fairfax City can support Irish pubs and odd ethnic restaurants in their "downtown" areas, while Reston Town Center is still chain-filled garbage after all these years

went out with some friends who live in Centreville, and had a great time meeting them at the Auld Shabeen, place felt like Greenwich Village compared to Reston Town Center

now I know there's been some inside the beltway vs. out the beltway stuff here in the past, and I don't want to get into that debate, I can understand not everyone wants to deal with $3 a foot apartments and mega-liberal pols like I deal with DC, but why can't the Dulles Corridor support a little pedestrian neighborhood with an Irish Pub? is the center of Herndon always going to be it for local flavor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 02:53 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
RestonRunner, I think you may have just found your new best friend.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:13 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
My favorite local Irish pub is in my basement.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:29 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I find it remarkable that Falls Church and Fairfax City can support Irish pubs and odd ethnic restaurants in their "downtown" areas, while Reston Town Center is still chain-filled garbage after all these years

went out with some friends who live in Centreville, and had a great time meeting them at the Auld Shabeen, place felt like Greenwich Village compared to Reston Town Center

now I know there's been some inside the beltway vs. out the beltway stuff here in the past, and I don't want to get into that debate, I can understand not everyone wants to deal with $3 a foot apartments and mega-liberal pols like I deal with DC, but why can't the Dulles Corridor support a little pedestrian neighborhood with an Irish Pub? is the center of Herndon always going to be it for local flavor?
I live within walking distance to Reston Town Center (RTC) and still prefer "real" places like Jimmy's in Old Town Herndon over "poseur"-dominated places like Jackson's in RTC. Auld Shebeen is another of our favorites. For what it's worth two more businesses are about to open, albeit both are local yuppie-oriented chains. Sweetgreen will be RTC's fourth yogurt/ice cream/gelato place after Yogen Fruz, Pitango Gelato, and Ben & Jerry's (not to mention the Baskin Robbins in North Reston or the Dairy Queens in South Reston or Old Town Herndon). We're also getting the Red Velvet Cupcakery, capitalizing upon the "cupcake craze" of late.

Why can't the Dulles Corridor support a little pedestrian neighborhood, you ask? Have you looked around you lately? People here in Reston are wetting their pants and proclaiming "the end is near" because of a much-needed commuter train's impending arrival. I personally think Lake Anne has excellent potential to be redeveloped into such a purpose as you, I, and many others seek, but the NIMBYs here would try to stop that from happening, too. Apparently "viva la cul-de-sac" is the battle cry of Fairfax County.

RTC is what it is. It's clean. It's sparkling. It's trendy. It's chic. It's safe (despite the high number of car break-ins). Is it "cozy?" No. Is it "quaint?" No. Does it offer "local flavor?" No. Is it "down-to-earth?" No. People in Greater Reston don't want nostalgia. They want corporate, shiny, and "super rad awesome." To be fair there are places like Cafesano in South Reston that provide some nice local flair, but places like this---attached to busy newer strip malls---aren't really going to stack up in my book against Jimmy's or Auld Shebeen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
RestonRunner, I think you may have just found your new best friend.
Oh I actually have tons of friends in the area. I'm not the big (insert synonym for donkey) in "real life" that people on here think I am. LOL! This is also proof that I'm by far not the only one who wishes an area as massive as the Dulles Tech Corridor had an alternative to the tiny area known as Old Town Herndon for some DECENT "local flavor."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
My favorite local Irish pub is in my basement.
Sign me up!

Old 09-09-2010, 06:45 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
but why can't the Dulles Corridor support a little pedestrian neighborhood with an Irish Pub?
There's always O'Faolain's Irish Pub in Sterling.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:35 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times
Auld Shabeen is excellent - I've been there thrice at this point (2nd time was for my SO's birthday abouth a month ago). Courthouse Thai next door probably the best DC-area Thai place I've ever been to... the owner(s) will tell you what really fresh produce, fish, etc. they've purchased that day and what interesting (often semi-chef-created) Thai dishes they can make with it. Thai foodie heaven, and the atmosphere is adorable. Choices By Shawn (just across the street) is really, really, really good (and, again, oozing with charm), also. And it's also nice/healing just to stand at the intersection where all those places are and just breathe in the cuteness.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:36 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
I find it remarkable that Falls Church and Fairfax City can support Irish pubs and odd ethnic restaurants in their "downtown" areas,
I'd love to hear more about some of the odd ethnic restaurants in FC! Which kind are there?

Old 09-19-2010, 04:32 AM

5 posts, read 17,851 times
The City of Falls Church Restaurant Guide.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:51 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredycat View Post
The City of Falls Church Restaurant Guide.
As a person who absolutely LOVES Vietnamese restaurants...it is amazing just how many Vietnamese restaurants there are in Falls Church.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:58 AM

106 posts, read 106,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
As a person who absolutely LOVES Vietnamese restaurants...it is amazing just how many Vietnamese restaurants there are in Falls Church.
Well, that area in Falls Church has a high concentration of Vietnamese people.

In fact, I think NoVA has either the 3rd or 4th largest concentration of Vietnamese people behind Southern Cal, Frisco, and Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia