U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 06:54 PM

160 posts, read 378,661 times

Advertisements

****ty, congested roads breed bad drivers. I'm liking this place so far EXCEPT the traffic, which is miserable.

It's like this every single day. I swear every day i drive in the morning on 495 crawling at 10 mphs stopping and going, there's several accidents along the way with at least one lane blocked jamming up the traffic even more. Oh yea, the lanes are pretty narrow too.

You'd think with all of the money flowing through the area they would have come to a solution by now but nooooo.

RANKINGS:

Quality of the Roads in the places I've driving frequently in so far.

1.Suburbs of Orlando
2. Suburbs of Philadelphia
3. Jefferson City Boonies, Missouri
4. Long Island
5. Manhattan
6. NOVA

Quality of the drivers:

1. Suburbs of Philly (VERY courteous; almost too passive)
2. Suburbs of Orlando (never heard of turn signals)
3. Jefferson City (Mod Cut don't know how to drive in urban, concentrated areas)
4. Long Island (NY drivers for the most part suck)
5. Manhattan (See Above)
6. NOVA (The Absolute worst. I see crashes here all the tiem)

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-10-2010 at 05:39 AM.. Reason: that term is considered offensive on this forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 07:00 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,564,521 times
yeah yeah yeah, we know

Old 09-09-2010, 07:02 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,270,728 times
It's probably all the horrible drivers from everywhere else coming here and screwing up the traffic...

Old 09-09-2010, 07:13 PM

160 posts, read 378,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
It's probably all the horrible drivers from everywhere else coming here and screwing up the traffic...

No i think it's the drivers who were born and raised here. Face it, you guys kind of suck at driving. Can't blame you given the roads you have to work with.....

Old 09-09-2010, 07:21 PM

30,230 posts, read 67,385,459 times
The drivers here are indeed absolutely awful. Yesterday while trying to merge onto Route 7 Westbound from Westpark Drive in McLean (in front of the Ernst & Young Building) traffic was congested, so I had to stop with my left blinker on waiting for a gap in traffic to proceed. Finally after about a dozen cars passed I saw an opportunity approaching, but when I went for it I was nearly slammed into by some redneck in a pick-up truck who snagged it from three cars behind me! Needless to say I blared my horn and flipped him off. Aren't you supposed to wait your turn and NOT pass people in front of you on an onramp in situations like this?

For that matter are there any redeeming qualities about Tysons Corner/McLean? I still think it's one of the worst parts of the area.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:27 PM

5,335 posts, read 6,145,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanman72 View Post
No i think it's the drivers who were born and raised here. Face it, you guys kind of suck at driving. Can't blame you given the roads you have to work with.....
No, it's not. I've lived here since '75 and the driving conditions have gotten worse and worse as more people move here. Definitely a case of people from all over the country, and all over the world, bringing their bad driving habits here.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:33 PM

696 posts, read 1,499,568 times
Yeah, can't say I blame the natives in this situation. I blame those from other countries....I'm just sayin'!!!!!!

Old 09-10-2010, 04:11 AM

1,109 posts, read 1,821,803 times
Just curious. How can you tell who was born here and who moved here?

I think it's primarily a case of too many cars and not enough roads. Add some self-important people who think they should be first and it's a disaster.

My personal favorite is the 4WDers who think 4WD helps on ice so just go humming along at 70mph until they're not.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:40 AM

2,018 posts, read 2,712,973 times
Perhaps this thread can provide more information:

DC Area: Worst Drivers in the U.S. How Come?

I generally enjoy driving, but since we've lived here I avoid it unless absolutely necessary. Most of the drivers here are profoundly arrogant and/or clueless as to how to handle a car. It does not seem to make much difference if they are native or not. Unfortunately, I do notice that the drivers who nearly hit me are usually women.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:22 AM

23,652 posts, read 33,467,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanman72 View Post
****ty, congested roads breed bad drivers. I'm liking this place so far EXCEPT the traffic, which is miserable.

It's like this every single day. I swear every day i drive in the morning on 495 crawling at 10 mphs stopping and going, there's several accidents along the way with at least one lane blocked jamming up the traffic even more. Oh yea, the lanes are pretty narrow too.

You'd think with all of the money flowing through the area they would have come to a solution by now but nooooo.

RANKINGS:

Quality of the Roads in the places I've driving frequently in so far.

1.Suburbs of Orlando
2. Suburbs of Philadelphia
3. Jefferson City Boonies, Missouri
4. Long Island
5. Manhattan
6. NOVA

Quality of the drivers:

1. Suburbs of Philly (VERY courteous; almost too passive)
2. Suburbs of Orlando (never heard of turn signals)
3. Jefferson City (Rednecks don't know how to drive in urban, concentrated areas)
4. Long Island (NY drivers for the most part suck)
5. Manhattan (See Above)
6. NOVA (The Absolute worst. I see crashes here all the tiem)
NoVA's problem is simple; too many d#*@ drivers, not enough road.

Thank God when I lived there I got jobs that were a reverse commute or had hours that allowed me to avoid rush hour for the most part. If you think it's bad now wait until there are a couple of inches of snow or any frozen water on the ground. You may have my commute of the DC Democrat primary in 08 where it took me an hour and 40 min to travel 6 miles.

Now I get to use I-65 for most of my business which is a NoVA commuters dream. 70 mph limit, loose enforcement, three or four wide lanes, and light traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia