Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2011, 01:38 PM

7 posts, read 14,300 times

Advertisements

I'm currently renting a place and while my landlady apparently meant to put that I needed to give 60 days' notice prior to moving out, she left that spot blank. So, when I bought a TH and picked my closing date, I did it on the assumption that it was the standard 30 days' notice. When I told her yesterday that I would be moving by the end of June, she told me I needed to give 60 days so I'd be paying both rent and a mortgage in July. I went to my building's leasing office because I thought maybe my copy of the lease just didn't show it, but that copy is also blank for that spot. While I'm sorry that she didn't put the 60 days in there, I don't think I should have to pay (quite literally) for her mistake. If she'd put it in there correctly, of course I would have given her whatever notice she wanted. Are there any lawyers out there who could shed some light on this situation? Am I ok legally to just give her the 30 days' notice since there's nothing stated in my contract about this? If I do move out and she keeps my security deposit, what recourse do I have (I don't think she'd do this but want to be prepared for anything)? Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 02:45 PM

206 posts, read 432,301 times
If it were me, I'd just give the 30 days notice, pointing out that it's not stated in the lease. If they try to keep the deposit, take them to small claims court.

Of course, if they want to be sleazy, nothing is stopping them from just writing "60" in that blank after the fact.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:37 PM

947 posts, read 1,401,179 times
Maybe I'd make a photocopy of the lease that's in the leasing office and get it notarized, just to show that in fact the lease does not specify a 60-day notice of move-out? If you could temporarily borrow that copy of the lease and take it to the notary just to show him/her the original (I assume of course that your signature is on it), that much better. It may be overkill, but better safe than sorry.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:27 PM

Thanks! I did have someone in the leasing office make a photocopy of the lease but because their copy was a copy, you could hardly see anything on there. I suppose they could be sleazy and write in the 60 days now but my copy and the leasing office's copy wouldn't show anything in that spot, so I don't know if they could get away with it. I just sent them an email saying that I was still planning on moving out by June 30 since I was going by the standard 30 days notice. We'll see what happens. I also put in an email to my real estate attorney about this. Hope he tells me the same thing!

Old 05-29-2011, 04:20 PM

515 posts, read 1,691,647 times
I wouldn't pay a dime past the 30 days. JMHO.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:00 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
If your copy of the lease is signed by you and your landlady, it would suffice.

Any changes to the lease, made AFTER both of you had signed it, would need to be initialed by both of you. So if she were to plug in 60 days at this point, she would also have to forge your initials.

When the terms of lease were being discussed, did she at any point mention she would require 60 days notice? Just curious.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:53 PM

Well, as an update, it was all much ado about nothing in the end. She checked the lease and saw that she had in fact left it blank, so she agreed that I could leave at the end of June. It actually worked out really well for both of us because she was able to find a replacement tenant to move in on July 1 so she'll get another tenant at a higher price without losing any time and I'll get to move out without paying for rent AND a mortgage in July. She was very nice about it too. I guess I was a bit overwrought about the whole thing. Thanks for the advice from everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia