Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 10:43 PM

9 posts, read 29,933 times

Advertisements

I’m looking to move my business down to the DVM (DC, Maryland, Virginia) area and need to decide on which state is best for small businesses with the best or lowest business tax laws. Can anyone help or provide any input on this subject?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 11:15 PM

515 posts, read 1,691,647 times
Maryland = tax and regulation hell. We fled the place for Virginia more than a decade ago.

The DC government resembles that of a third world country so it is difficult to compare to VA or MD. Taxes were high last time I looked.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:00 PM

269 posts, read 1,001,966 times
I have read before, that Virginia tends to be more favorable for small business owners, and I do believe the taxes are less.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:50 AM

9 posts, read 29,933 times
It's official that Virginia is better than MD for business since CNN Money rated it in the top 10 states for small business..

10 Best states for starting a business - 9. Virginia (9) - FORTUNE Small Business

9. Virginia
"Virginia is a terrific state to do business," says Karen Kerrigan of the SBE Council. "The state's geographical proximity to the federal government, its highly educated and high-income households, and its great policy climate play major roles in this." But one major challenge for Virginia, Kerrigan points out, is transportation infrastructure, which will have to be developed to keep pace with the state's growth. This is particularly true of suburban Northern Virginia, where numerous tech companies are based.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,953 times
Princem3,
As a tax professional I can tell you that it is impossible to answer your question without knowing more about your business.
Virginia sale taxes are lower , so you would be saving there, however if your business provides services or logistic advice, this would be irrelevant.
Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-15-2010 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: advertising is not allowed per the Terms of Service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia