Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 07:58 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Iassuming DC schools and neighborhoods would improve dramatically with the involvement of yuppie/hipster families
LOL, that's quite an assumption. I hope it happens, but that school system is in a real hole and in hard economic times like this I don't see dramatic improvement happening for many years, at best. This neighborhood could appeal to people without kids, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 08:23 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, that's quite an assumption. I hope it happens, but that school system is in a real hole and in hard economic times like this I don't see dramatic improvement happening for many years, at best. This neighborhood could appeal to people without kids, though.
True, it would probably take sometime even without our current economic conditions. IMO once things get back to "normal", it could happen in as little as ten years. As mentioned before, there are DC neighborhoods, mostly surrounding Metro stations, where the change is well underway. However, I'll admit to not being aware what percentage of those newer residents are former Northern Virginians.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:25 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
I think there is nothing in particular that makes it impossible for all of the District to gentrify. whats happened in the areas just east of RCP could happen further east - that has been the dynamic for over 20 years. If nonrepresentation and taxes are tolerable on Wisconsin ave, they can be tolerated on georgia avenue. Crime will decrease in the transitional areas as the frontier moves further east.

And given the size of the District, and that they will NOT allow massive skyscrapers, there are quite enough people who do want denser, walkable lifestyles, to fill out the district. At most the pop of the district will be 1 million or so, well under a quarter of the pop of the metro area. Leaving aside that DC has lots of houses with yards.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:26 AM

"This neighborhood could appeal to people without kids, though."

Or people sending their kids to private (includingr Catholic or Jewish day)schools anyway. Or homeschoolers.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:35 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Right near Union Station along the H Street corridor you can almost see it happening in time lapsed photography. They're building a street car along there and the whole area along there is changing rather quickly. For example, Taylor Gourmet has opened on a formerly fairly run down block serving the best Philly style sandwiches in the city. I expect that whole area will soon be overrun with the types of folks Tone listed in his steps of gentrification. I'm guessing a lot of the former residents are being priced out and have headed to PG County. Sort of a 21st Century version of "urban renewal".
It's interesting to have something like this unfold before our eyes, so we can see how it goes. I'm not willing to try it myself, but I enjoy watching others undertake projects like this. I'm hesitant to make predictions as far as how it will succeed. Some projects like this go well, but I've seen urban gentrification go sour in Los Angeles. I knew someone who moved into a downtown loft and later regret it. I also know some people who bought a house in a seedy part of Long Beach that was supposedly "up and coming" and the neighborhood never improved.

Of course, DC is a slightly different situation, since this it has more residents than downtown LA and more people flowing in for jobs who need housing. And timing is important, too. Maybe this DC neighborhood will fare better since this is happening towards the end of a recession rather than before it (so it will be less likely to be plagued by foreclosures and people abandoning homes because they couldn't resell and they didn't enjoy living there as much as they thought they might).

Old 09-17-2010, 08:40 AM

IIRC in the early stages of the bubble collapse there were folks saying that the "frontier" along columbia Heights/Shaw would move back westward, that prices there would collapse like in the suburbs. Didnt happen, AFAIK. OTOH downtown developments in So Cal (san diego as well as LA) had problems, IIUC. I am not sure the full dynamics of the difference.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I think there is nothing in particular that makes it impossible for all of the District to gentrify.
Where will the people who live there now go?

Old 09-17-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
that prices there would collapse like in the suburbs.
FWIW, prices didn't collapse in the suburbs either. At least not in my neck of the woods.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:46 AM

Some will move elsewhere anyway. Non gentrifying cities do not always have the same people living there from generation to generation. People get jobs, move, etc.

In general though, working class african americans will move to PG, Charles County Md, etc. Lower middle class african americans (both those already LMC who sell their homes, and working class ones moving on up) will move further out in MD than working class ones. Hispanics will continue to move to VA as well as MD. Post bubble, theres lots of relatively cheap housing in the further suburbs, though transportation costs will be higher for those working in the District (at some point wages for unskilled labor in the district will have to raise to equilibrate). How traumatic this is for current residents will depend on whether they are owners or renters, and what their employment situation is.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
FWIW, prices didn't collapse in the suburbs either. At least not in my neck of the woods.

"like in those bubbly suburbs where prices collapsed, like Prince William County"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia