U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:48 PM

3 posts, read 2,388 times

Advertisements

The commute between VA and MD during the rush hour is HORRIBLE and NIGHTMARISH. I would try to live as close to your job as possible, but definitely you want to live on the Virginia side of the Potomac; the traffic on those bridge crossing during the rush hour are HELLISH. I66 is also horrible during the rush hour. The GW Parkway is not as bad--I think that this is because the roads in NoVa are so complicated that a lot of people don't actually know how to get onto the GW Parkway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 03:28 PM

15,400 posts, read 17,965,834 times
You've already gotten some good advice. I just wanted to say welcome to Northern Virginia!

Old 09-17-2010, 10:54 PM

26,450 posts, read 46,879,438 times
I, too, would recommend Reston. I currently live in the Uplands section of the community, near Lake Fairfax, and it takes me 15 minutes to commute to McLean when I go into work for 6 AM. It's about a 7-mile drive to my office. That balloons to 40-45 minutes, on average, at the height of rush-hour, as Route 7 becomes a parking lot due to the non-synchronized traffic lights, police officers sitting on the shoulder staring at commuters, and the new traffic patterns in the Tysons Corner neighborhood (if you can call it that) of McLean. Eventually Reston will have convenient commuter rail service to McLean (and points eastward). It should have had this years ago, but people in NoVA are notorious for whining about traffic but refusing to tax themselves to fund solutions for it, which is why the "Silver Line" was only a pipe dream for as long as it was.

Reston isn't my cup of tea as an extraverted gay 23-year-old, but I know of plenty DINKs, middle-aged singles, families with children, retirees, and others who wouldn't live anywhere else. The community is militantly liberal with a "crunchy" vibe not unlike what you'd find in parts of Alexandria or Arlington, which I find to be a perk but may be off-putting to others. We have a shiny and sparkling-clean (yet fake-feeling) downtown with mostly upscale businesses catering to an upscale demographic (think Williams-Sonoma, Banana Republic, Morton's Steakhouse, places that sell bite-sized servings of gelato for $5, etc.) It also has a movie theater (which needs renovations), a gorgeous fountain, plentiful events, and a covered outdoor ice rink that doubles as a bandshell in the warmer months. The community is heavily-wooded, despite its large (pop. 65,000) size, and there is an extensive network of trails excellent for dog-walking. Many complexes, including my own, have dog parks.

Violent crime here is nearly non-existent. There has only been one murder in the year-and-a-half I've lived here, and even then it was only domestic violence (not to diminish it, but it wasn't "random"). I live in a "socialized mixed-income" part of town, and I don't feel unsafe here. South Reston has had the problems with gangs, but I think that's largely been cleaned up. We have numerous Restonians on this forum who can also fill you in on more items.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:05 AM

1,362 posts, read 1,969,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I, too, would recommend Reston. I currently live in the Uplands section of the community, near Lake Fairfax, and it takes me 15 minutes to commute to McLean when I go into work for 6 AM. It's about a 7-mile drive to my office. That balloons to 40-45 minutes, on average, at the height of rush-hour, as Route 7 becomes a parking lot due to the non-synchronized traffic lights, police officers sitting on the shoulder staring at commuters, and the new traffic patterns in the Tysons Corner neighborhood (if you can call it that) of McLean. Eventually Reston will have convenient commuter rail service to McLean (and points eastward).
You can still drive from Reston to McLean in about 20 minutes during rush hour if you use the toll road.

Here is information on the Metro project expected open 4 stations in McLean and one in Reston in late 2013 or early 2014.

Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia