U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:44 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,196,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Many of the Vietnamese businesses were, in fact, priced out of Clarendon due to higher rents that came with the redevelopment of Arlington. The good news for the region is that a large number relocated to Eden Center in Falls Church, which is basically a giant strip mall that contains the largest concentration of Vietnamese businesses on the East Coast and is a really interesting place to visit.

In terms of housing, many Vietnamese in the area now live in small SFHs that were built immediately after WWII in Fairfax County (many with Falls Church and Springfield addresses). The heaviest concentration is in the Falls Church HS area, followed by the Baileys Crossroads, North Springfield and Chantilly areas. If you check the student directories for Falls Church or Stuart HS, you'll find many more Nguyens than Smiths.

You might find this map interesting - it gives you a feel for where the Vietnamese are concentrated in Fairfax County and the migration patterns.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/demogrp...vietnamese.pdf

In the past 10-15 years, it seems to me that Arlington has gotten increasingly Caucasian, at least when measured by the percentage, if not absolute numbers, of residents. We have some folks on here who know the Arlington demographics very well and might weigh in. The main data point I know is that the percentage of Asian students in the Fairfax schools (19%) is substantially higher now than the percentage in the Arlington schools (11%).

Tiger Beer - I don't know if your wife is Japanese, but you aren't going to find a particularly high concentration of Japanese (as opposed to Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese) anywhere in NoVa.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/demogrp...an-oceanic.pdf
Actually the Asian element does weigh in pretty high to where I want to live. My wife isn't Japanese, but she is Asian.

Actually I am a huge fan of both Vietnamese and Korean food....as is my wife. Love all asian food, but especially those two.

Love the statistics...I was just on zipskinny the other day researching demographics by zip code. However, I didn't realize they were mostly VIetnamese - which is great by the way. FALLS CHURCH looks real interesting, and still has subway conveniences as well.

I was researching Springfield, North Springfield, and Annandale. Sounds very suburban...yet when I google mapped the areas, there was a certain charm to them to what I was seeing. Seemed kind of like some windy roads and lots of trees and such....it looked interesting nontheless.

I also saw that part of Maryland has high asian numbers too...north of Bethesda...up there in Rockville, Gaitherburg, Germantown. Didn't look that interesting from google maps, not as interesting as what I google mapped in NOVA anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
I haven't traveled as extensively as you have, but have traveled a bit, and think it should be factored in that the wealthy live close-in in many major cities (e.g., Tokyo, Paris, London), and the prices of homes are extremely high. So if you could afford that option, you have many, many choices in the US.
Actually I'm not in Tokyo, but in a small little town in Northern Japan. We still have a train that goes through here though, and buses/taxis, etc. Bicycles everywhere with places to park them everywhere. I don't have a car here, yet I can walk to 100s of restaurants and have a convenience store about 2 minutes walk from my apartment. All 100% safe. My apartment is incredibly cheap here, as so far from Tokyo or any other large Japanese city for that matter.

I grew up in rural Michigan...if you want a coca-cola, you have to get in a car to find it. Zero other options and nothing within walking distance. Just different setups. Here in Japan, even in this small little town, I'd have 100s of vending machines within walking distance.

Nontheless, hopefully I don't get a 'stay in Japan' comment I'm really intent on getting back to the States

Quote:
One other factor is that, as an Arlington resident, I am often struck by how many DC and MD license plates are in the parking garages of grocery stores, retail stores, etc., in Arl. This suggests to me that the District neighborhoods still aren't fully fleshed out and self-sustaining, because people have to drive or metro to do even routine shopping. My sense is that this is a big difference with NY, for example.
Nontheless...back to Arlington. I think the interesting part is that you mentioned the amount of MD and DC license plates you see while shopping. That is interesting. I suppose Arlington and probably Virginia...you don't have to pay for parking either, right? Maybe it comes down to the fact that even in MD and DC it is still very car-centric, so just easier to drive over to VA. I'm curious about why MD wouldn't have the same things as VA though? I could see that DC wouldn't be able to build massive megastores though.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:53 AM

8,816 posts, read 10,722,515 times
I live in Annandale (aka "little Korea")

The physical layout is mixed. There are woodsy single family home sections, there is the whisper of an old small town downtown, there are some very ugly strip mall sections, there are some old walk up apt complexes mainly inhabited by hispanics, there are some newish and some not so newish Townhouses, and there are some places were older smaller single families were replaced by McMansions during the bubble.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:57 AM

8,816 posts, read 10,722,515 times
"I suppose Arlington and probably Virginia...you don't have to pay for parking either, right? "

In old town alexandria paid parking garages do a good business. I think in parts of Arlington walking distance to metros - certainly in Rosslyn.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I live in Annandale (aka "little Korea")

The physical layout is mixed. There are woodsy single family home sections, there is the whisper of an old small town downtown, there are some very ugly strip mall sections, there are some old walk up apt complexes mainly inhabited by hispanics, there are some newish and some not so newish Townhouses, and there are some places were older smaller single families were replaced by McMansions during the bubble.
Well, actually that sounds kind of interesting as well. How are most people's perceptions of Annandale?

Despite the Arlington thread...I am actually interested in these inside the beltway other areas outside of Arlington.

Curious how Falls Church is compared to Arlington or Annandale.

Actually what interests me about Arlington is the high density. However, there are a few things that don't interest me - HIGH prices for most of that area outside of the condo/apartment type places. But I guess I'm not looking for that yet anyways, as I'd be a rentor to start. But the other is I've heard that most of Arlington is kind of young yuppie socializing areas? Is that about right? As a married with kid guy, not exactly my spot - despite being attracted to the potential convenience of it.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:16 AM

2,675 posts, read 4,540,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Actually I'm not in Tokyo, but in a small little town in Northern Japan. We still have a train that goes through here though, and buses/taxis, etc. Bicycles everywhere with places to park them everywhere. I don't have a car here, yet I can walk to 100s of restaurants and have a convenience store about 2 minutes walk from my apartment. All 100% safe. My apartment is incredibly cheap here, as so far from Tokyo or any other large Japanese city for that matter.

I grew up in rural Michigan...if you want a coca-cola, you have to get in a car to find it. Zero other options and nothing within walking distance. Just different setups. Here in Japan, even in this small little town, I'd have 100s of vending machines within walking distance.

Nontheless, hopefully I don't get a 'stay in Japan' comment I'm really intent on getting back to the States

Nontheless...back to Arlington. I think the interesting part is that you mentioned the amount of MD and DC license plates you see while shopping. That is interesting. I suppose Arlington and probably Virginia...you don't have to pay for parking either, right? Maybe it comes down to the fact that even in MD and DC it is still very car-centric, so just easier to drive over to VA. I'm curious about why MD wouldn't have the same things as VA though? I could see that DC wouldn't be able to build massive megastores though.
Actually, I wasn't referring to massive megastores - rather, just to your usual grocery stores, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc. Some parking is free, but most is not free in Arlington, but I don't think anyone would pay the gas and use the time to drive just for free parking if they had groceries and other retail that met their needs near their homes. After all many, New Yorkers shop in their neighborhoods. I think my point was that many close in neighborhoods are really not fully "neighborhoods" just yet, and that is a testament to the urban planning of Arlington, that its neighborhoods generally ARE self-sufficient and self-sustaining.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, actually that sounds kind of interesting as well. How are most people's perceptions of Annandale?

Despite the Arlington thread...I am actually interested in these inside the beltway other areas outside of Arlington.

Curious how Falls Church is compared to Arlington or Annandale.

Actually what interests me about Arlington is the high density. However, there are a few things that don't interest me - HIGH prices for most of that area outside of the condo/apartment type places. But I guess I'm not looking for that yet anyways, as I'd be a rentor to start. But the other is I've heard that most of Arlington is kind of young yuppie socializing areas? Is that about right? As a married with kid guy, not exactly my spot - despite being attracted to the potential convenience of it.
"Most"? No, check out the Wikipedia entry for Arlington to see the demographics. There are many people in your demographic situation and many in other situations as well (e.g., people over the age of 30, empty nesters).

Maybe the first thing you should consider is your likely budget and what you are willing to pay. If you won't be comfortable paying Arlington prices and it isn't even really what you want, you might be better off looking at other areas.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Upper NorthWest may have more burglaries per capita than North Arlington. The OP was saying that he feels he cant get safety and convenience together in the USA. He wasnt necessarily saying he needs a near zero burglary rate, AFAICT.
I understand that but want us to be more precise about the facts when there are facts available. He can then decide what odds he's comfortable with rather than for those of us here to make that judgment call based on our own comfort levels.

I work in a nice part of Northwest DC and my employer sends emails almost at least weekly with reports of crimes in the area.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
"So, even though you seem like a nice person, I have no intention of encouraging anyone to move here who longs to live in an urban area. We're not urban. We never will be urban."

Alexandria has been urban for 200 hundred years. Lots of folks move here for jobs, or for the schools. I dont like kvetching either. But there are already areas are where there is a high degree of what many people want out of density - areas like Old Town Alexandria and North Arlington. There are other areas that will soon have many of those desirable qualities - many parts of South Arlington (columbia pike, shirlington, etc) Old Town fairfax, certain areas near the Vienna Metro, and of course Tysons. There are also other areas with high density, but lacking in walkability, that would be much more livable if they were better laid out, like the Landmark area of Alexandria.
I agree. There are other areas of NoVA that are clearly suburban, e.g., Great Falls, Fairfax Station. Some people may describe Arl. and Alex. as semi-urban (i.e., they aren't Manhattan). Arl.'s govt. likes to call parts of Arlington "urban villages." Definitions may differ. But I don't think that many people would agree that ALL of NoVA is "not urban" and "will never be urban."

Old 09-17-2010, 11:38 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,836,225 times
Quote:
Arl.'s govt. likes to call parts of Arlington "urban villages." Definitions may differ.
LOL, I agree. It all comes down to definition. What's "urban" to some is really only "urbanish" to others. I wouldn't call any part of Nova "urban" although there are several areas that are "urbanish." In the same way I wouldn't really call Arlington dense, although it has a few dense areas. The dense areas of Arlington are too small to really give an "urban" feeling, IMO. Which, by the way, is one of the things I find particularly charming about Arlington. It's urban-lite. It's an urban tease, without overdoing it. "Urban villages" describes it fairly well.

FWIW, I have to agree that TigerBeer might be happier in DC, which is a genuinely urban area. Someone who is used to Tokyo and NYC is not going to be happy in Nova. I'm sure there are neighborhoods that would be ok for a young family. Isn't the area over near the zoo supposed to be nice?

Last edited by normie; 09-17-2010 at 11:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or