U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-18-2010, 08:44 AM

239 posts, read 422,708 times
Default How is Television Reception in your NVA Neighborhood without CABLE TV?

Have you dumped your Cable TV in today's economy and decided to just go with rabitt ears or a antenna on your roof? If so how is the TV Reception in your Community? Where are the TV Towers for the major Network Stations in the Washington DC area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 08:58 AM

22 posts, read 32,853 times
Check the distance/locations of stations (http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx - broken link)

Old 09-18-2010, 05:13 PM

50 posts, read 71,451 times
I'm in Old Town Alexandria (22314). We have rabbit ears, and I've found it to be perfectly acceptable. The main downside is that the rabbit ears aren't too attactive.

After the digital conversion, we got a few more channels (and MANY weather channels!) although now when the reception does get bad you can't really watch whereas before you could watch through the fuzz.

I do have to confess that I rarely watch TV, which is why we haven't had cable for 7 years. We have a Netflix subscription and mostly watch TV through the computer (Hulu).

Old 09-18-2010, 05:46 PM

544 posts, read 515,165 times
I'm also fashionably retro in Reston with rabbit ears (or, as the great American philosopher Elmer Fudd would say, "wetro in Weston with wabbit ears"). Reception is generally better since the conversaion to digital than it was with analog, unless it's a really windy or stormy day. I pull in all the D.C.-based channels, whose transmitters are about 20 miles away (Tenleytown area of D.C.) I even get one of the Baltimore channels (Channel 2) pretty well. The digital conversion has, as geniegirl mentioned, led to more channels...almost what I would call "Cable Lite", since there are now available over the air weather channels (4.2, 7.2), an oldie tv channel (7.3), a not so great sports channel of sorts (4.3), and a cooking/home&garden channel of sorts (26.2). We are also Netflix customers.

But ever since "Lost" ended, I been sort of "lost" when it comes to watching much tv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia