U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-18-2010, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Home is where the heart is
15,400 posts, read 25,774,950 times
Reputation: 18989

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
I spend a lot of time in Sterling Park. I take my toddlers there by myself several times a week - we go to the playground at the community center/library next to the fire station (across from the DMV), and my kids just started taking an art class there. Honestly, it is a relief from some of the uptight people we encounter at child-focused places in Ashburn. I have never felt unsafe there.
Thank you for saying this, I totally agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-18-2010, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Sterling, VA
1,059 posts, read 2,622,891 times
Reputation: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
I spend a lot of time in Sterling Park. I take my toddlers there by myself several times a week - we go to the playground at the community center/library next to the fire station (across from the DMV), and my kids just started taking an art class there. Honestly, it is a relief from some of the uptight people we encounter at child-focused places in Ashburn. I have never felt unsafe there.
I couldn't agree more. I am there quite often doing Broker Price Opinions for foreclosures and short sales. (There are also foreclosures and short sales in Lowes Island.) There are many lovely homes there built in the 60's and 70's with large lots and mature trees. I do not know why some people on this forum (who can't afford to buy there) look down on the area. There are some lovely neighborhoods there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2010, 06:49 AM
 
60 posts, read 102,877 times
Reputation: 62
I concur on looking at Sterling. FWIW, quite a few foreclosed properties in the area (both TH and SFHs) have been bought up and completely renovated over the past 2 years or so. They are quite impressive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2010, 02:36 PM
 
Location: In the woods
3,315 posts, read 8,772,060 times
Reputation: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
I spend a lot of time in Sterling Park. I take my toddlers there by myself several times a week - we go to the playground at the community center/library next to the fire station (across from the DMV), and my kids just started taking an art class there. Honestly, it is a relief from some of the uptight people we encounter at child-focused places in Ashburn. I have never felt unsafe there.
I'm glad to hear this. When I lived in Sterling, I took my daughter to that community center/library. In fact, when they built the regional library in Cascades, there was talk of shutting down that library. Many of us (including me) opposed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2010, 02:44 PM
 
Location: In the woods
3,315 posts, read 8,772,060 times
Reputation: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
There are many lovely homes there built in the 60's and 70's with large lots and mature trees. I do not know why some people on this forum (who can't afford to buy there) look down on the area.
Because it still has the stigma (a la 20+ years ago) of being an old, low-income, raggedy place. 20 years ago there were parts much like that (i.e., people with old cars in the lawns, sofas on the porches, etc.). It used to be kind of like that but of late, many young families, professionals, etc. saw these homes as a bargain, renovated and/or refurbished them. It's nice to see how the neighborhoods have evolved.

BTW, OP there is one street in Sterling (can't remember the name but it's between Chruch Rd and E. Frederick Drive towards near Sugarland Pkwy/Dranesville Rd) that has outstanding light displays during the Holidays. The neighbors get together and decorate the homes full of giant figures, tons of light and mechanical displays. Visitors usually park their cars and walk through the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2010, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Brambleton, VA
2,136 posts, read 4,634,035 times
Reputation: 1292
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I'm glad to hear this. When I lived in Sterling, I took my daughter to that community center/library. In fact, when they built the regional library in Cascades, there was talk of shutting down that library. Many of us (including me) opposed it.
It's great. All of the toddler classes have wait lists, and the tot drop-in at the gym is well-attended. (You can't beat $2.50 per adult for two hours - no charge for kids. A lot of home daycares and homeschoolers seem to take advantage of the program.) The playground is really nice, with good equipment, shade, and fencing. There are groups of people waiting outside the library for it to open in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
BTW, OP there is one street in Sterling (can't remember the name but it's between Chruch Rd and E. Frederick Drive towards near Sugarland Pkwy/Dranesville Rd) that has outstanding light displays during the Holidays. The neighbors get together and decorate the homes full of giant figures, tons of light and mechanical displays. Visitors usually park their cars and walk through the street.
Unfortunately the lights on Juniper were not as great last year - don't know if it's the economy or what, but it seemed like some of the houses dropped out. Who knows, maybe we went too early in the season or something. But it's definitely a Christmas tradition for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2010, 03:11 PM
 
Location: In the woods
3,315 posts, read 8,772,060 times
Reputation: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Unfortunately the lights on Juniper were not as great last year - don't know if it's the economy or what, but it seemed like some of the houses dropped out. Who knows, maybe we went too early in the season or something. But it's definitely a Christmas tradition for us.
Oh that's too bad. We used to go down there every year--walk around even if it was freezing. It certainly was a marvel at night. And such a friendly atmosphere with everyone strolling, talking, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2010, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 26,826,108 times
Reputation: 42860
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Unfortunately the lights on Juniper were not as great last year - don't know if it's the economy or what, but it seemed like some of the houses dropped out. Who knows, maybe we went too early in the season or something. But it's definitely a Christmas tradition for us.
The man who was the real spearhead behind it died a little more than a year ago. I remember reading about it in the paper. Hopefully someone new will take up the cause. I've always enjoyed Juniper Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2010, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Bettendorf, IA
446 posts, read 1,222,612 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Because it still has the stigma (a la 20+ years ago) of being an old, low-income, raggedy place. 20 years ago there were parts much like that (i.e., people with old cars in the lawns, sofas on the porches, etc.). It used to be kind of like that but of late, many young families, professionals, etc. saw these homes as a bargain, renovated and/or refurbished them. It's nice to see how the neighborhoods have evolved.

BTW, OP there is one street in Sterling (can't remember the name but it's between Chruch Rd and E. Frederick Drive towards near Sugarland Pkwy/Dranesville Rd) that has outstanding light displays during the Holidays. The neighbors get together and decorate the homes full of giant figures, tons of light and mechanical displays. Visitors usually park their cars and walk through the street.
The street is Juniper. About midway between Church and Frederick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2010, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, formerly DC and Phila
8,555 posts, read 12,615,182 times
Reputation: 8315
I love this little park, too. Sometimes my husband and I will drive out that way to go to Big Lots, and we always stop at that playground and let the kids play. I love that it's fenced, and the equipment is so nice and new. I even go there on the way to Algonkian sometimes. We've also been in that library. It's nice and convenient to have them next to each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I'm glad to hear this. When I lived in Sterling, I took my daughter to that community center/library. In fact, when they built the regional library in Cascades, there was talk of shutting down that library. Many of us (including me) opposed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:27 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top