U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 07:10 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,700,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Actually curious if the other 4 zip codes that I listed afterwards are quite similar or not. Annandale, West Springfield, Faixfax 22031 or Jefferson 22042.

From the little I know of Springfield, it's not really on anyone's lists of places to live....at all. But the real estate/housing is less...and the demographics seemed pretty interesting, that made me curious if that stood out in the region or not...and it sounds like it doesn't outside of a few ethnic restaurants in the strip malls occassionally (which wouldn't really be different than anywhere else).

Just making sense of NOVA...but the other four...basically similar but a little nicer? They all seem to go towards areas that are a bit more desireable - Burke, Falls Church, etc. Also, Annandale seems kind of nicer..or is it pretty much indistinguishable from Springfield?

We rent a home in West Springfield, near West Springfield High School. There are plenty of parks, stores, and good schools in this area. It is also centrally located and easy to get to places without having to use the interstates. What I like is that there are multiple ways to get to different places. The Franconia/Springfield Metro station is 4-5 miles away and has a large parking garage. Fairfax County Police and Fire Stations are close to West Springfield High School, and there's Whole Foods, Panera, and other shops at the intersection of Rolling Road and Old Keene Mill Road. Several bus routes run in this area, and many people use them. Lots of walkers, too. It feels safe, and there's a nice even mix of races/income levels.

If you like brick row houses, there are some lovely brick townhomes on Forrester Boulevard/Carrleigh Parkway that capture the appeal of Old Town but are more affordable and have more room. They are beautiful inside, there are many professionals there, and it is walking distance to the shops/stores mentioned above. Lots of trees, too.

Not sure what your price range is, but the West Springfield/Burke/Fairfax area is convenient for commuting to most places in the DC/Northern Virginia area, and it's a little more affordable without sacrificing quality of life.

Last edited by Fern435; 09-19-2010 at 07:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 07:21 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,776,806 times
If you're looking for demographic information, you can find tons of information in the city data demographic section. That's where you'll find the racial make-up, as well as everything you want to know about these communities--and more! Plus, they usually have a fair number of photos.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:41 AM

15,897 posts, read 36,023,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
If you're looking for demographic information, you can find tons of information in the city data demographic section. That's where you'll find the racial make-up, as well as everything you want to know about these communities--and more! Plus, they usually have a fair number of photos.
Yeah, that's where I got the information to begin with that made me curious about Springfield and the other zip codes.

--

Fern435, thanks for the info on West Springfield! Love brick houses, as well! Saw some beautiful forests in that area as well - through pictures.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:53 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,615,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Desirability is in the eye of the beholder. How can we tell you if they'll be more desirable to you if we don't know what you're looking for? Oh well, I will do what I can. The areas you are asking about now tend to be lower income areas. For many people that is a very desirable feature. Some people enjoy paying low rents, others enjoy living among people who pay lower rents. These areas are all suburban, have ethnic restaurants and K-Marts and parks all the other hallmarks of mid century suburban towns. In my opinion, they have different "looks" but others might think they all look the same.
These areas are "lower income areas" only in comparison to other places in the region and 22031 (Fairfax) and 22152 (West Springfield) aren't lower income areas even by that measure. I'd consider 22031 and 22152 the types of comfortable suburban NoVa areas that appeal to many folks moving to the area, but perhaps not so much to people looking for ethnic enclaves or high concentrations of Asian/Hispanic restaurants, etc.

22003 (Annandale) covers a broad swath of territory that includes affluent, "middle-class" and lower-income neighborhoods. 22042 is part of Fairfax County with a Falls Church mailing address and probably has the highest concentration of immigrants and lower-income residents of any of the four zip codes Tiger Beer asked about. There are tons of Korean restaurants in 22003; 22042 has a lot of Vietnamese restaurants, though the heart of the Vietnamese business area is a bit further east in Eden Center (22044).

Old 09-19-2010, 07:55 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,315,194 times
Quote:
Okay, would love to hear your opinion on how those other 4 zip code areas have different "looks"....that's actually what I'm asking for.
As for Annandale -- it depends where you are looking.

This is a house for sale "inside the Beltway" in Annandale that is two blocks away from where I live:
Moderator cut: Please post generic MLS sites, not sponsored MLS listings. Thanks

This is another house "inside the Beltway" in Annandale that is about 2 miles away from where I live:
Moderator cut: Please post generic MLS sites, not sponsored MLS listings. Thanks

This is a townhouse "inside the Beltway" in Annandale that is about 2 miles from where I live:

This is a house for sale "outside the Beltway" in Annandale that is about 4 miles away from where I live:

Pretty different "looks" if you ask me -- but all in Annandale, zip code 22003.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-19-2010 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Please post generic MLS sites, not sponsored MLS listings. Thanks.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:14 AM

15,897 posts, read 36,023,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
These areas are "lower income areas" only in comparison to other places in the region and 22031 (Fairfax) and 22152 (West Springfield) aren't lower income areas even by that measure. I'd consider 22031 and 22152 the types of comfortable suburban NoVa areas that appeal to many folks moving to the area, but perhaps not so much to people looking for ethnic enclaves or high concentrations of Asian/Hispanic restaurants, etc.

22003 (Annandale) covers a broad swath of territory that includes affluent, "middle-class" and lower-income neighborhoods. 22042 is part of Fairfax County with a Falls Church mailing address and probably has the highest concentration of immigrants and lower-income residents of any of the four zip codes Tiger Beer asked about. There are tons of Korean restaurants in 22003; 22042 has a lot of Vietnamese restaurants, though the heart of the Vietnamese business area is a bit further east in Eden Center (22044).
Excellent information right here!

Quite a few things keep leading to Falls Church...the Eden Center (just discovered it on another thread).and the demographics of those zip codes....and the Ethnic enclaves of Asian restaurants in particular.

Incidentally Vietnamese and Korean are two of my ideal cuisines. So, it's looking like I am zero-ing on Falls Church AND Annandale above all the rest.

Just as another side....Ethiopian...is that mostly Arlington in the NOVA region? Not that I require that particular cuisine, just curious if there is NOVA location that people generally go for it.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:15 AM

259 posts, read 446,277 times
Springfield as of September of 2011 will have roughly 8000 Federal workers added to the area when the new building opens up right off of I-95. If you are traveling 95 North if you look to your left about 2 miles before you get to the 395-495 split you'll see a huge spaceship looking building. It's the biggest single building construction project since the Pentagon was built in the 1940's

I can only imagine that this will impact Springfield in some way.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:09 AM

10,830 posts, read 26,338,550 times
22031 covers Fairfax, from just outside the city limits to the Fairfax Circle area. There is a large Asian grocery store in this area, across from a Home Depot, so not the most urban of areas, but it is very convenient to the Vienna-Fairfax Metro, which is the last stop on the orange line. You're also only a few minutes from downtown Fairfax (aka Old Town Fairfax), so you would be close to the restaurants and shops there, but it would be a proposition of a five-minute car ride, or a pretty long walk to get from 22031 to downtown Fairfax.

There is a new housing development just outside the city, at the Vienna-Fairfax Metro that will significantly add to the housing stock in the area. Other houses range from single-family homes on wooded lots (mostly to the east of the city) to condominiums, townhouses, and large apartment buildings closer to Fairfax Circle.

There is a large shopping plaza at Fairfax Circle, where the Asian grocery store is located, that features some smaller businesses and a couple of restaurants. There is a Korean restaurant across the circle, next to yet another car dealership (can't seem to avoid those in the areas you're researching). Across from that is another shopping plaza of the strip mall variety that has a Chinese restaurant, Dunkin' Donuts, Staples, etc. There's also a Chick-Fil-A, and other fast food places nearby, including McDonald's and Arthur Treacher's.

If you continue west along Route 50 (Fairfax Boulevard -- name changes at Pickett Road from Arlington Boulevard -- used to be known as Lee Highway, too, but not officially in the city anymore), you will find assorted restaurants, including a Korean BBQ restaurant, a Thai restaurant, an Italian restaurant, and a Crab House. This area is also supposed to undergo significant redevelopment in the next years, at least according to the city's plans, including realignment of the road to allow for through lanes that are separated from pedestrian/bicycle/parallel parking local lanes.

Eventually, Fairfax City wants to concentrate higher density development around Fairfax Circle, and to the west Kamp Washington (Fairfax Boulevard & Main Street). Some of the redevelopment is underway, in the form of newer shopping plazas, and plans that I have heard/read about indicate that this is where the city wants to zone higher-density housing to preserve the housing stock in its neighborhoods.

Mixed into the area, close to the circle and toward the Korean restaurant to the west, are assorted businesses like car dealerships, gas stations, one street that's light industrial (auto repair mostly), and a couple of older motels that are from the days when Route 50 was a major east-west highway. Fairfax Circle also has tall apartment buildings, one set of triplets.

There is some density in the area, within the city limits mostly, and if everything that the Fairfax economic group's forecast comes to fruition, it would take on more of a dense suburban corridor, not unlike parts of Arlington and Falls Church. Some phases are already underway, toward Kamp Washington, but I have not heard of a concrete time schedule for the rest of the projected changes to the area.

ETA: The one thing missing from Fairfax City's portion of 22031 is big-box retail, with the exception of a Home Depot that occupies a site that was a local hardware chain. And, I forgot that there's a Sushi restaurant that occupies what once was a Pizza Hut, yet still retains the architectural influences of the former, though renovated. It's an interesting hybrid of a restaurant, next to a condominium development, and a tiny shopping plaza that has a couple of quick/fast food places, and a clock shop, etc.-- small businesses. Fair City Mall has a couple of big-box-like stores, such as Best Buy, but they are integrated into the shopping plaza in smaller locations, not free-standing structures as are typical for that type of development.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-19-2010 at 09:24 AM..

Old 09-19-2010, 09:11 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,615,610 times
Quote:
Excellent information right here!

Quite a few things keep leading to Falls Church...the Eden Center (just discovered it on another thread).and the demographics of those zip codes....and the Ethnic enclaves of Asian restaurants in particular.

Incidentally Vietnamese and Korean are two of my ideal cuisines. So, it's looking like I am zero-ing on Falls Church AND Annandale above all the rest.

Just as another side....Ethiopian...is that mostly Arlington in the NOVA region? Not that I require that particular cuisine, just curious if there is NOVA location that people generally go for it.
The largest concentration of Ethiopian restaurants in the region is in DC, near 9th and U Street.

However, there are other Ethiopian restaurants in the area, including at least one in Falls Church and another in South Arlington. There are a fair number of Ethiopians who live in the Alexandria part of Fairfax County over near Landmark (the intersection of Routes 236 and 395), but I don't know if there are Ethiopian restaurants there. Alanboy395 used to live in that part of Alexandria and didn't always have great things to say about it.

If you ultimately move to this area and check out neighborhoods in person, I suspect that other factors will play at least an important role in your decision as the nearest ethnic food options (affordability, safety, quality of schools, etc.), but it sounds like at this point you're just trying to work up some enthusiasm for various areas before you visit. Some of us are a bit defensive in our responses to potential newcomers because we've gone through the exercise of providing LOTS of information, only to have the visitors tell us, in disparaging tones, things we already knew after they actually come to visit, which is that NoVa is a sprawling, suburban area where most of the development occurred after WWII and, therefore, lacks the "charm" of older towns that were built in the streetcar, if not horse-and-buggy, era.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:01 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,315,194 times
Added links via homesdatabase -- my apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
As for Annandale -- it depends where you are looking.

This is a house for sale "inside the Beltway" in Annandale that is two blocks away from where I live:
5101 BLUE RIDGE AVE, ANNANDALE, VA 22003 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-BROOK+HILLS+ESTATE-ANNANDALE-VA-MRIS-FX7371558 - broken link)

This is another house "inside the Beltway" in Annandale that is about 2 miles away from where I live:
7714 ROYSTON ST, ANNANDALE, VA 22003 - HomesDatabase

This is a townhouse "inside the Beltway" in Annandale that is about 2 miles from where I live:
4965 ORISKANY DR, ANNANDALE, VA 22003 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-AMERICANA+FAIRFAX-ANNANDALE-VA-MRIS-FX7416331 - broken link)

This is a house for sale "outside the Beltway" in Annandale that is about 4 miles away from where I live:
8407 QUEEN ELIZABETH BLVD, ANNANDALE, VA 22003 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-CHAPEL+HILL-ANNANDALE-VA-MRIS-FX7370472 - broken link)

Pretty different "looks" if you ask me -- but all in Annandale, zip code 22003.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia