U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 11:44 PM

2 posts, read 10,011 times

Advertisements

I substitute nearly everyday in select elementary schools in the Woodbridge area. Elizabeth Vaughan is a good school, Marumsco Hills is a good school, Ashland is a good school, Belmont is also a good school. Not familiar with too many more. As for Middle schools and High schools....not so sure. Prince William Co. has 89 elementary schools and a vast majority of them are considered "fully accredited", meaning their SOL pass rate is higher than 70% (I believe it's 70) so therefore, they can't be too bad. My children love their school and I have no issues at all; they are both above grade level in most areas, therefore, someone must be doing something right....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 06:45 AM

192 posts, read 193,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberrn View Post
I am suprised by all the talk about how great Bristow and the schools are! I just bought a home in New Bristow Village (across from the new Harris Teeters), and I am amazed by all of the Hispanics that live in the homes with 3 and 4 families. Hardly anyone speaks english in the neighborhoods! Worst of all, and more on topic, I found out once we moved in that our kids are to be shipped to Manassas (Ellis elementary), and not one of the 3 or 4 schools down the road. Cedar Point is less than 5 miles away. Im sure it has to do with the funding for Ellis, given its low socieoeconomic status. It is very unfair and I wish I would have known about the HUGE immigrant problem here. Im already planning to move in the next 2 to 3 years. Has anyone heard anything more about the school issue for new bristow village?
You said it! Bristow is simply an extension of Manassas. There are lots of foreclosures and lots of "Spanish Families." The traffic is Hell. Countryside/Cascades are way nicer for less money. Those are some lovely shades of beige, vinyl siding though.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:40 PM

847 posts, read 3,235,356 times
Move a little further in to Western Fairfax County and go to the Centreville/Westfield/Chantilly pyramid schools, you will be very happy there.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:48 PM
fdg

33 posts, read 119,048 times
Anyone familiar with Glenkirk Elementary or Battlefield Highschool in Gainesville?
Thanks.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:55 PM

352 posts, read 1,440,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdg View Post
Anyone familiar with Glenkirk Elementary or Battlefield Highschool in Gainesville?
Thanks.
Can't speak to Glenkirk, but Battlefield HS is generally considered one of the two or three best high schools in the county. (Brentsville HS being the other one that immediately comes to mind.)

Old 05-14-2008, 03:41 PM

1,950 posts, read 5,303,743 times
Back to the original PWC question, I seem to see a ton of bad news reports about things happening in PWC. I don't know anything about the area though. On the flip side, I saw on the news yesterday that PWC was the only county in NOVA that had an increase in real estate sales. All the other counties were in the negatives.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:41 AM

47 posts, read 183,269 times
PWCS boasts the lowest SAT scores in NoVa; it's been that way for a long time. The same folks, who tell you that it only takes an hour to get from Gainesville to DC, will tell you how wonderful the schools are. There is a huge gang problem at Stonewall; Woodbridge is a war zone.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:48 AM

1,261 posts, read 5,044,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundevil85 View Post
PWCS boasts the lowest SAT scores in NoVa; it's been that way for a long time. The same folks, who tell you that it only takes an hour to get from Gainesville to DC, will tell you how wonderful the schools are. There is a huge gang problem at Stonewall; Woodbridge is a war zone.
I'm sure those "low SAT scores" are still some of the best in the country. No, it doesn't take an hour to get from Gainesville to DC, it is longer. I've seen first hand some truly crappy schools in New Mexico (one of the lowest ranking states in the nation) .... PWCS isn't nearly that bad.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:48 AM

352 posts, read 1,440,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
I'm sure those "low SAT scores" are still some of the best in the country. No, it doesn't take an hour to get from Gainesville to DC, it is longer. I've seen first hand some truly crappy schools in New Mexico (one of the lowest ranking states in the nation) .... PWCS isn't nearly that bad.
As usual it's a different story once you look at the numbers. I just did 10 minutes of research and found that nationwide the average SAT score is 1511. In NoVA, we have these averages:

Fairfax County 1643
Arlington County 1620
Loudoun County 1561
Alexandria City 1530
Prince William County 1504

So while it *is* true that Prince William lags behind Fairfax, Arlington and Loudoun (at least as of 2006, which is what I found data for), PW shouldn't be considered a "bad" district as we're statistically average. Not something to shout from the rooftops, but not horrible either.

Even then, of course, it doesn't really tell the story. Prince William is a big county, as is Fairfax and Loudoun. I found SAT scores for each of the high schools (for math and reading; unfortunately the essay portion was omitted) - in order to make the math work I'm just adding the "average" essay score of 493 (as of 2006) to the math and reading sections to get:

Battlefield HS: 1591
Brentsville HS: 1556

versus:

Hylton HS: 1351
Freedom HS: 1351

Consider further that Battlefield and Brentsville are likely somewhat (20-40 points) higher than that since I just put in the "average" essay score for the county, and likewise Hylton and Freedom are likely lower. So in Prince William, there are good schools. There are not so good schools. It's not as simple as making a blanket statement.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:03 PM

47 posts, read 183,269 times
New Mexico? I think you made my point for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or