Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,113 times

Advertisements

My husband, our baby and I are re-locating to the DC area and are looking at areas to live in Northern VA. Looking in the Woodbridge area... I heard the commute to MD can be harsh on I-95, but we've been told about taking the Richmond HWY to shorten the commute? Anyone have any experience with this??? Also, good, safe places to live in Woodbridge??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 06:25 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Woodbridge up to the Beltway is 10 grueling miles. Route 1 is usually no bailout, there's so many stoplights. Better to live near the Beltway in Fairfax if your budget permits, as the VA to MD path is better than the MD to VA path along the Wilson Bridge, at least in the AM.

I am not sure what your requirements are for house/lot size and condition, what your budget for rent/own is, and whether your husband plans to find a job, but I'd rather live in West Springfield (22152), eastern Fairfax (22032), or Burke (22015) than in Woodbridge.

There are some nicer areas of Woodbridge that might be worth renting while your husband is job-hunting, though. One of the posters who lives in PWC can give you some rules of thumb.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:10 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Woodbridge to AAFT isn't going to be a pretty commute and Rt. 1 is no option. The only way I would advise you to do this is if your husband has hours from 6:00-2:30 or 6:30-3:00. Then it is manageable.

After that, you need to come closer to beltway. Springfield, Kingstowne, Mt. Vernon area. But of course that means more $$$$.

I do understand your need to be in VA. The surrounding areas around AAFB are not desireable. I was raised in Clinton, just outside the base. It was nice enough way back when but I would never advise anyone to live there now even though it is close.

Waldorf, MD is another popular option but it is congested getting up from there to the base it Waldorf isn't great either. Many people I know living there want out. Once you get south of Waldorf, though, it gets nice and country like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia