Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,762 times

Advertisements

My wife and I (and our 9-month old daughter) are considering moving to Brambleton in Ashburn. We are in our early 30s and we really like the homes and the amenities, but we aren't familiar with the neighborhood. Can anyone provide some insight on the people/culture?

- Are there younger couples?
- Are there social events?
- Is it generally a friendly neighborhood?
- Would you consider it ethnically diverse?
- Lots of kids?
- How would you rate the schools?

Any feedback is welcome. Thanks in advance for your reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 06:45 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by commish22 View Post
My wife and I (and our 9-month old daughter) are considering moving to Brambleton in Ashburn. We are in our early 30s and we really like the homes and the amenities, but we aren't familiar with the neighborhood. Can anyone provide some insight on the people/culture?

- Are there younger couples?
- Are there social events?
- Is it generally a friendly neighborhood?
- Would you consider it ethnically diverse?
- Lots of kids?
- How would you rate the schools?

Any feedback is welcome. Thanks in advance for your reply!
Sure, there are lots of younger couples here. Very generally, younger people tend to live in the condos or townhomes, although I know some young couples in single-family homes. When we moved here, my husband and I were both 30.

There are lots of social events. Formally, through the Brambleton Community Association, there is a year-round slate of activities. For example, last weekend was the neighborhood campout. People bring tents, chairs, firepits, etc. to Legacy Park; there was a rock climbing wall, scavenger hunt, s'mores, sing-along. We have two big festivals - Freedom Fest (usually the weekend before July 4th) and Fall Fest (coming up on October 9). You can look at this calendar for more. You should come to the Fall Fest - it's open to the general public. The only cost is for kids to use the bounces and rides, but your daughter is too young for that anyway. It's from 1-7 pm; they haven't released the detailed schedule yet.

Unofficially, there are block parties, playgroups, interest groups (poker club, happy hours, book club, Bunco, etc.). We have a community intranet and an unofficial message board, both of which are helpful in getting people together. It is a very friendly neighborhood. Whenever people need help, others pitch in.

Brambleton is more ethnically diverse than other parts of Ashburn. I don't know the stats for all residents, but the school stats are some indication. Legacy ES and Creighton's Corner ES are the elementary schools that Brambleton students attend; currently most students in Brambleton attend Legacy, and most of the Creighton's Corner students come from outside Brambleton. This will change as Phase III south of Creighton Road is building right now.

Legacy ES -

White 56%
Asian 23%
Hispanic 7%
Multiple race 7%
Black 6%

5% English Language Learner
3% Economically Disadvantaged

Creighton's Corner ES -

White 53%
Asian 28%
Hispanic 8%
Multiple race 6%
Black 6%

9% English Language Learner
8% Economically Disadvantaged

The schools have a good reputation. I don't know anyone with kids at Creighton's Corner, but I know lots of Legacy parents and they are mostly happy with the school. Complaints I've heard mainly deal with drop-off traffic, lunchroom nutrition, and "teaching to the test" - none of which are unique to this school. The schools are big, but that's how Loudoun is. Some parents aren't thrilled about half-day kindergarten and keep their kids in private full-day kindergarten. (I have two-year-old twins, so we haven't had to deal with all that yet.)

There are LOTS of kids here. That is not an understatement. And this is the kind of neighborhood where you will actually see "free range" kids riding their bikes in the park without adults hovering nearby.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:49 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Thanks for the compliment, but actually I live about 8 miles east of Brambleton. I can talk with some knowledge about Lowes Island (although I'm new here) and with a little more knowledge about Reston/Herndon. cdmurphy's our resident Brambletonian.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:12 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
I misspoke about the resident expert then, Caladium. Thanks for all the details, cdmurphy!

Old 09-22-2010, 09:42 PM

2 posts, read 6,762 times
cdmurphy,

Thanks for the great info. It sounds like Brambleton has some great people and lots to offer. And I think we will check out the Fall Fest too! Thanks again! Let me know if anyone else has any more comments.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:54 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by commish22 View Post
cdmurphy,

Thanks for the great info. It sounds like Brambleton has some great people and lots to offer. And I think we will check out the Fall Fest too! Thanks again! Let me know if anyone else has any more comments.
We've lived here for seven years, and we love it. I think you will, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia