Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 01:47 PM

648 posts, read 1,333,676 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever brought their short-haired dog from a perpetually warm state to NoVA?

I'm bringing my dogs back here over Christmas break, and I'm just wondering if they will adapt really quick to the weather or if they'll need jackets or something.
Yes, they have fur, but neither of them have fur warm enough for them to adjust so quickly from SoCAL weather to a Virginia winter.

Any advice? Or do I have any reason to be concerned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 02:04 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,153 times
Hi Katyusha
We moved a couple years ago from a warmer climate and have two dogs..Our short haired dog was generally fine except for some very cold days where she would shiver if left outside for too long. If your dog is not used to it and is small then I would just get a sweater of some sort..I isn't cold enough for a jacket unless your dog is spoiled. But that is up to you..I would just see how she does with a sweater.
Will you have a yard or live in condo/apartment as walking them can make a difference as opposed to just letting them out.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
Hi Katyusha
We moved a couple years ago from a warmer climate and have two dogs..Our short haired dog was generally fine except for some very cold days where she would shiver if left outside for too long. If your dog is not used to it and is small then I would just get a sweater of some sort..I isn't cold enough for a jacket unless your dog is spoiled. But that is up to you..I would just see how she does with a sweater.
Will you have a yard or live in condo/apartment as walking them can make a difference as opposed to just letting them out.

The townhouse I live in doesn't have a yard, so I will have to walk them myself...would that make it better or worse?

Old 09-21-2010, 02:18 PM

696 posts, read 1,694,667 times
We have two beagles, one young, one older. Last winter the older one was always shivering, unless I put a sweater on him. Needless to say, he adores his little blue sweater. The wind can be downright chilling if you aren't used to it. I'd buy one just in case. We have a yard, but always walk the boys and I don't think walking or not walking matters.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:20 PM

43 posts, read 132,136 times
Our dogs (Pekingnese and Poodle) have wool, Redskins winter jackets - even though they were both born and raised in this area. They're spoiled.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:23 PM

That's the other thing, too - my dogs are older.
One is 11 and the other is 9. I'm kind of scared that the 11 year old dog won't take to it too well and will make her joints a disaster.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:35 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,153 times
Trust me you arent moving to Minnesota.
If the cold concerns you just get them a jacket and sweater and use your judgement.
The winters here are not that severe..(last season was a fluke)

Old 09-21-2010, 02:53 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,944,761 times
It's not so much an adapting thing. Dogs with short fur aren't made to be out in the cold for long periods of time. Heck, even my long furred fluffy mutt isn't thrilled being out in the cold for longer than 10-15 minutes unless she's running full out. Your dogs are older, so that's an additional concern.

There are a lot of good jackets out there (and they're not all foo-foo for little dogs!). These are one of the best ones I've found for the money.

Shedrow 840D Dog Blanket [BLS3000]

You can play it by ear and see what happens. If they seem fine, don't worry about it. It's not alaska, but it IS cold, and dogs with fur like a doberman or pittie (that's what I picture when you say short) aren't meant for that kind of cold.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:32 PM

790 posts, read 1,880,863 times
My short-haired dachshund moved here from Texas in 2006, and has done well. She's an inside dog and burrows in a blanket during the day if she's cold. During our walks in winter, I put a coat on her and she has rarely shivered. She has a bad back (degenerating discs) and the winters have not worsened her condition. I think your dog will be fine!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:23 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
Go to Petco or Petsmart; you'll be amazed at the variety and styles for all kinds of dogs. It's really kind of amazing -- sweaters, raincoats, Halloween costumes, etc. I'm surprised they haven't come out with bathrobes and slippers . . . yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia