Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:57 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Funny that Oakton was mentioned. I used to live out there. I really liked it but with a boyfriend in the city and a love for the nightlife living there just doesn't work for me. When I moved out there getting used to the lack of fellow black folks was a little off putting. It was odd walking around the neighborhood and not seeing a black face. But at the same time never had a problem in Oakton. It was one of the most racial harmonious places I've seen. Everyone is nice and its virtually crime free.

When I moved to Arlington last year I remember being at a conveience store near my house and being followed by the clerk. Something that hasn't happened to me in years. It was pretty offputting needless to say. I was apparently taking too long to decide on a snack. I loudly and angrily told him I'd take my money elsewhere. Me and said money haven't been back to that particular store since.

Funny that this happened in one of the most diverse parts of Arlington very the more homogenous Oakton.

But that's an isolated incident. In the end NoVA doesn't have any of the racial tension problems that DC and MD seem to have.
For what it's worth, the section of Oakton near Mosby Woods Park is about equal percentages of Whites, Blacks, Hispanics and Asians. You might not have noticed it unless you were living in or near that particular area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 08:50 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
For what it's worth, the section of Oakton near Mosby Woods Park is about equal percentages of Whites, Blacks, Hispanics and Asians. You might not have noticed it unless you were living in or near that particular area.
Oh I see that's technically Fairfax. You are right though. That is a more mixed area with more immigrants.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:58 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused View Post
I'm slightly amused by the reference to "low rent" because I don't know anywhere in Northern Virginia that would be considered low rent. Even in Manassas you can't rent a three bedroom TH for less than $1500 a month.
It's all relative.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:59 PM

429 posts, read 953,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
It's all relative.
Well, while I understand the phrase, I don't see how it relates to my comment. Could you elaborate? Maybe I'm just slow tonight.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:04 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,319 times
Quote:
Well, while I understand the phrase, I don't see how it relates to my comment. Could you elaborate? Maybe I'm just slow tonight.
Basically, what you think is high rent ($1500/mth) could be low rent for someone. The value of a dollar is not the same for everybody.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:14 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
Basically, what you think is high rent ($1500/mth) could be low rent for someone. The value of a dollar is not the same for everybody.
By NOVA standards, $1500 for a 1BR apt would be on the high side of average. For most newcomers to town, that rent would indeed seem rather high.

But I digress...let's get back to topic.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:13 PM

429 posts, read 953,910 times
Okey dokey! Anyway, here in the area of Manassas where I live, I truly don't see any racism. My son goes to Stonewall Middle and has White, Black, Indian, Hispanic and Asian buddies. Then again, children these days don't seem to notice color at all and that's great.

Last edited by Dazed&Confused; 01-25-2011 at 08:48 PM..

Old 01-26-2011, 04:27 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Quote:
Okey dokey! Anyway, here in the area of Manassas where I live, I truly don't see any racism. My son goes to Stonewall Middle and has White, Black, Indian, Hispanic and Asian buddies. Then again, children these days don't seem to notice color at all and that's great.
$1500 is low(er) rent by Fairfax standards. Hence it's all relative.

Glad your son has friends of all races and that the parents are open to this.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:35 AM

468 posts, read 1,337,916 times
Everybody gets along here.

Kids separate themselves in high school according to what kinds of music they listen to.

At least it was that way when I was in school.

I attended schools in the District, Maryland and Virginia.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,185 times
Arlington is quietly racist.... Meaning they keep it themselves but you can tell by there actions o they are racist. I experience this as being a black man. I never been called a N***** or anything anything derogatory but the responses I get from Hispanics & Whites is like there scared or even when I make a nice gesture as of holding holding door or politely saying Hello I get No thanks or No Response?? Its funny though every race hates blacks but every race love the black culture somehow someway. Hate Me for nothing but Only God Can Judge Me Slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia