U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 12:18 AM

4 posts, read 4,784 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I applied for a job that is either at Ft Belvoir or in Springfield, still trying to get clarification, who knows with all this BRAC stuff. Either way I want to live in a good area, I am a single 22 yr old guy and want to live in an area with people around my age. This will be my first venture into the city as I have been living in the boondocks (country) for quite a few years. My rent max is around 1600 or 1700. I am looking for suggestions as I dont know the traffic or the good or bad areas. I have heard of looking around Clarendon, Ballston, areas around the metro lines, any suggestions, I am more looking for specific complexes that you would reccomend.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 06:04 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,860,633 times
If you can find a 1BR place in your budget, Ballston/Clarendon will work just fine. Lots of single 20-somethings, and folks get along as well as can be expected with such population density.

Don't move until you have a job offer w/ start date in hand. If you want to move here w/o a job offer and start date, I'd recommend renting a place in Front Royal, Winchester, Fredericksburg, or Leesburg and doing office temp work.

Good luck.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:25 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,041,228 times
Yes, Courthouse/Clarendon/Virginia Square/Ballston (aka "Orange Line" Arlington for the Metro route that runs through them) is the 20-something mecca in NOVA. As you won't be taking Metro to work, consider properties that would be a healthy walk from the Metro - sorry that I don't know any specifics - to give you more choices in your budget range.

Also, be aware that as BRAC kicks in at Fort Belvoir, traffic will become a nightmare. You may decide that a shorter commute will be worth it in the long run. Consider Kingstowne, a newish community with your typical suburban conveniences about five miles NW of Fort Belvoir.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the replies, and I am definitely not moving there without a job offer as I already have a job where im living. I will look around the Orange line as you have stated. I do realize that traffic will become a nightmare but I dont plan on working there forever, this is just a stepping stone to push my experience into the next career level. Also I have been in the Ft Belvoir area a few times and was not really impressed with the quality of the area. I can justify a commute to live in a nice area. I currently live outside town and drive 30+ miles to work. Thanks again for the replies

Old 09-24-2010, 07:16 PM

23,566 posts, read 33,292,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Yes, Courthouse/Clarendon/Virginia Square/Ballston (aka "Orange Line" Arlington for the Metro route that runs through them) is the 20-something mecca in NOVA. As you won't be taking Metro to work, consider properties that would be a healthy walk from the Metro - sorry that I don't know any specifics - to give you more choices in your budget range.

Also, be aware that as BRAC kicks in at Fort Belvoir, traffic will become a nightmare. You may decide that a shorter commute will be worth it in the long run. Consider Kingstowne, a newish community with your typical suburban conveniences about five miles NW of Fort Belvoir.
West End Alexandria may be a nice compromise for you. Closer to Ft. Belvoir than the Orange line but has a notable amount of young professionals. Also cheaper than the Orange Line area.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunham pup View Post
Also I have been in the Ft Belvoir area a few times and was not really impressed with the quality of the area. I can justify a commute to live in a nice area. I currently live outside town and drive 30+ miles to work. Thanks again for the replies
If you were looking up and down Route 1 during your Fort Belvoir tour, it's understandable that you wouldn't find it so attractive. Kingstowne is different; it's not a young professional mecca but probably a mix of people with a lean towards young familes.

And when you say you live 30 miles out of town, is it in this area? Regular rush hour traffic can be a crawl in some spots. An Arlington to Fort Belvoir commute may not be too unbearable now but as BRAC sets in, you may grow to regret your commute - most likely up and down Route 1 - even before you reach the Alexandria city line.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
West End Alexandria may be a nice compromise for you. Closer to Ft. Belvoir than the Orange line but has a notable amount of young professionals. Also cheaper than the Orange Line area.
Fair enough. Thanks for the reminder about that.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:24 PM

Well I want to be near a metro line to make traveling into dc easier. Guess im going to have to make a compromise. And I live 30 mi away from work in Central Virginia ( aka I live in the country and drive into the city)

Old 09-25-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunham pup View Post
Well I want to be near a metro line to make traveling into dc easier. Guess im going to have to make a compromise. And I live 30 mi away from work in Central Virginia ( aka I live in the country and drive into the city)
Thanks for sharing your location. As a reference, a 30 mile commute here can take up to an hour or more at rush hour.

Kingstowne is in between two Metro stations - Franconia/Springfield and Van Dorn - so it wouldn't be too inconvenient to get into DC.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:18 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,554,769 times
It sounds like Arlington would be a good fit for you. That's where all the social activities for recent college grads are.

Kingstowne will bore you to death if you want social outlets and night life. It's a nice enough, family friendly slice of suburbia, but it's definitely not a 20-something's ideal place to be. My office is a stone's throw away from Kingstowne Blvd, and as a 24 year old I chose to live a hefty commute away for the past few years in order to live in more interesting (to me) areas. This year I finally succumbed to Springfield--and I am ready to move back to Arlington or Alexandria when my lease is up. It's nice and quiet, but I find myself driving back north to get to any kind of activities.

A cheaper option compared to Ballston/Clarendon might be Pentagon/Crystal City. It's a straight shot down Rt. 1 (with timed lights in old town!) to 495, which spits you off at Telegraph that goes down to Belvoir. CC to my work at the intersection of Van Dorn/Telegraph was consistently 20-25 minutes. To belvoir would be another 10ish.

Just as an FYI, the vast majority of 22 year olds in the area have a roommate(s). Your $1700 won't get you a 1 bedroom in a prime walkable-to-the-metro location, but $2200 will get you a 2 bedroom place. If you pick up a roommate, you'll save quite a bit of money.

Check out craigslist for what's in your price range, and see what areas interest you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or