Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 05:40 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times

Advertisements

I used to commute to L'Enfant Plaza from the Ashburn area. It was a brutal and soul-sucking commute. There was a years-long waitlist for parking in my building, and the street meters are only two hours, so driving was out. There is a direct bus from Loudoun County, but it didn't work with my schedule; I had to drive to Herndon, take the Fairfax Connector bus to the West Falls Church Metro, then Metro to L'Enfant Plaza. On a good day, that took 1.5 hours. That was also several years ago, before the Metro system really started having problems.

Of your choices, I would suggest looking in Manassas or elsewhere along the VRE lines. There is a VRE station by L'Enfant Plaza, and my co-workers who rode VRE seemed to like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 05:57 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novadc View Post
The houses in Alexandria that are single family homes for under 500k have not been renovated since the 80s, I can guarantee you. Or they're in a less-than-desireable neighborhood. You're not going to get a 2000 square foot, detached, renovated or new home in a nice neighborhood in Alexandria for 500k. This is why I suggested Springfield as their next best bet. It's their best bet of a decent commute coupled with a house in their price range. Good luck!
That's apparently based on your definition of "nice neighborhoods" (or maybe you're only thinking of the City of Alexandria).

I don't live in Alexandria or have any special reason to recommend it, but I checked the real estate sites and see that there are houses built in the 1960s in decent parts of Alexandria with slightly over 2000 SF and renovated kitchens and/or baths that have sold for between $475 and $500K over the past year. Many are in areas that feed into West Potomac HS - including houses in the Hollin Hills and Stratford Landing areas.

Again, the OP may want a house built in the last 20 years with at least 3000 SF, in which case she can look further out like Manassas or Woodbridge and her husband can accept a substantially longer commute to work every day.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:01 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,196 times
Have you considered a townhouse closer in, such as Vienna or Oakton (Virginia)? Not clear what type of property you seek but my guess is a SFH, given the geographical choices and budget mentioned. I would seriously consider a townhouse closer in, given your budget and life stage.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:33 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
That's apparently based on your definition of "nice neighborhoods" (or maybe you're only thinking of the City of Alexandria).

I don't live in Alexandria or have any special reason to recommend it, but I checked the real estate sites and see that there are houses built in the 1960s in decent parts of Alexandria with slightly over 2000 SF and renovated kitchens and/or baths that have sold for between $475 and $500K over the past year. Many are in areas that feed into West Potomac HS - including houses in the Hollin Hills and Stratford Landing areas.
Yes, it would be helpful - especially to the OP - to distinguish between the unincorporated Alexandria in Fairfax County referenced above and the actually City of Alexandria. I agree that relative space and convenience (and a bit of quirky architecture) would be the pros in the neighborhoods suggested above. An openness/preference towards older housing stock would be a plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia