Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 07:13 PM

696 posts, read 1,693,919 times

Advertisements

Upon entering my 2nd year in my NoVA house, I'm ready to branch out from my favorite WA and Australian wines to something more local. So, for an everyday (not quite nightly ) red wine what would you recommend? Can you purchase any of these at say Wegman's or Total Wine? Our young children are keeping us from exploring the local wineries so I'm turning to you.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 08:32 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
If you like Merlot, it's hard to beat the 2001 Merlot from Breaux Vineyards. It's won quite a few awards, too.

If you like sweet wines, a guilty pleasure of mine is Raging River Red from Tarara. Don't buy it to impress anyone, because it's not a "great" wine. But I love it, anyway and keep it as a secret treat for myself. It always makes me giggly and happy, and goes great with chocolate, too.

Both of these can be bought at Total Wine (as far as I know, I haven't bought them there for awhile). I'll bet Weggie's has them too.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:53 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
As much as many would like to believe otherwise, the conditions here are just not conducive to producing great wines.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:47 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times
CAVA, you are wrong. Virginia has great conditions for Viognier and we have some great ones, like the one Sunset Hills made in 2009. It has won international awards. More on this great grape and wine:
Virginia's Special Viognier - washingtonpost.com
The Wine News Magazine - Virginia Viognier - an exotic foreigner makes a love match in the old dominion (http://www.thewinenews.com/augsep00/feat.html - broken link)
My Vine Spot: Viognier Blind Tasting II: Honey Moon Strikes Again!

Old 09-27-2010, 04:54 AM

696 posts, read 1,693,919 times
Ahhh, I see that this topic is open for differing opinions as well. I'll take a stab at the suggestions and report back next week or so.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:31 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,151 times
I'm quite partial to the Cabernet Francs in this region. Pearmund and Fabbioli are the 2 I know I enjoyed when I visited for tastings. I am not sure if you can get them at Total Wine, but definitely at a local wine shop.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:02 AM

309 posts, read 828,233 times
We found that the Ameritage at most of the local wineries is very good

Old 09-27-2010, 10:15 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Virginia is frequently acclaimed for Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc. Both Chrysalis and Swedenbourg do a great job with these wines. I don't know much about Viognier but I've heard from several people who know about such things that it's a varietal that also does well in VA. Merlot, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon and Sauvignon Blanc tend to do less well here, although there are exceptions. I've never tasted the Breaux Merlot but am not surprised to hear that it's good. Breaux produces a lot of quality wines.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:48 AM

738 posts, read 2,956,082 times
Another vote for the Virginia Cab Franc wines. That grape varietal grows very well in Virginia and is probably the strongest red wine for VA. It's not as bold as a Cab Sauv, but still has similar flavors.

One thing I dislike about a lot of the US wines in general (all US, not just VA) is that they tend to make wines using just one grape type in them. You look at a lot of the European wines, and they're made by blending several different grape types and sold based on their region. I always find blends to be nicely balanced compared to others; a popular blend in Virginia is a Meritage, which is a bordeaux-style blend of grapes.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:54 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,151 times
I have had several blends in the US, but they are mostly done with whites rather than reds. I did just have a few red blends in CA recently (I was there for a work retreat). I have no basis of comparison to Europe as I have never been (darn lack of money) but I think some of the blends in the US are decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia