U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2010, 08:36 PM
 
3 posts, read 9,608 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

So I'm just staying with friends before I get an apartment near DC, but I was wondering about shuttles or buses from Reston.

Is there anything that goes directly from Reston to DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2010, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
1,449 posts, read 2,808,243 times
Reputation: 471
check the website for Fairfax Connector. There used to be Express Routes from the Weihle Park and Ride to at least Pentagon - not sure if any went direct to DC? But you can definitely catch busses from Reston that will drop you at West Falls Church Metro, which then goes straight into town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2010, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Reston, VA
2,005 posts, read 3,538,663 times
Reputation: 1147
Here is the link to the bus from Lake Anne to West Falls Curch Metro
Route 552: Reston North - North Shore*- Fairfax County, Virginia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2010, 08:26 PM
 
3 posts, read 9,608 times
Reputation: 12
Good information, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 08:53 AM
 
14 posts, read 31,164 times
Reputation: 13
What is the parking situation like at the park and ride and are those commute times [mostly] accurate?

My wife and I are looking to buy a place and have been hesitant to look that far west for fear of commute time, but the schedules don't look that bad (15 mins on the bus, another 25 or so on the train). I work downtown and she's in Tyson's.

Currently, I drive to work from the Landmark area of Alexandria and it's become a 1hr drive to go 10 miles.

If I were to get to the parking lot at 7:45-8am or so, will there still be spots? What's the traffic like around the lot at the time; will it take 20 mins just to get into the lot from a few miles away on side roads? Finally, are the buses allowed to drive on the shoulders of 267 so they can get to the metro station that fast?

Thanks for any info. I'm hopeful that this might be a viable alternative that will open up a lot of options in our house hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 01:00 PM
 
Location: In the woods
3,315 posts, read 8,798,536 times
Reputation: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
There used to be Express Routes from the Weihle Park and Ride to at least Pentagon - not sure if any went direct to DC? But you can definitely catch busses from Reston that will drop you at West Falls Church Metro, which then goes straight into town.
I believe you're correct; there is a bus from Wiehle Ave P&R driect to the Pentagon but not to DC.

OP, you catch several buses from Wiehle Ave P&R to West Falls Church metro. The buses with routes throughout Reston pass through Wiehle Ave P&R before getting onto the toll road to WFC metro so you have several choices esp during rush hr. Check the schedule and be sure to ask the driver before boarding if you're not sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 26,908,287 times
Reputation: 42861
There's a vanpool from Reston to L'Enfant Plaza. See the thread that just got bumped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Reston, VA
2,005 posts, read 3,538,663 times
Reputation: 1147
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugly2ugly View Post
What is the parking situation like at the park and ride and are those commute times [mostly] accurate?

My wife and I are looking to buy a place and have been hesitant to look that far west for fear of commute time, but the schedules don't look that bad (15 mins on the bus, another 25 or so on the train). I work downtown and she's in Tyson's.

Currently, I drive to work from the Landmark area of Alexandria and it's become a 1hr drive to go 10 miles.

If I were to get to the parking lot at 7:45-8am or so, will there still be spots? What's the traffic like around the lot at the time; will it take 20 mins just to get into the lot from a few miles away on side roads? Finally, are the buses allowed to drive on the shoulders of 267 so they can get to the metro station that fast?

Thanks for any info. I'm hopeful that this might be a viable alternative that will open up a lot of options in our house hunting.
The bus schedule is pretty accurate. The buses drive in the dulles access road and then on the shoulder to West Falls Church. You should be able to make the to DC trip in an little more than an hour depending on where in Reston and where in DC you are going.

Currently, the Park & Ride fills up each morning about the time you are planning to arrive. There is an axillary lot across Sunset Hills that has plenty of parking at that time of the day and when it does fill up it is and hour or so later. HOWEVER, construction is comming to Wiehle. They have just announced that 200 (of the 820) spots in the lot will be taken over by construction at the end of November 2010 and the entire lot will be shut down by March 2011. They are building a new parking structure for 2,300 cars in expectation of the Metro arrival. Commuting to DC from Reston is going to get worse before it gets better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 26,908,287 times
Reputation: 42861
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
HOWEVER, construction is comming to Wiehle. They have just announced that 200 (of the 820) spots in the lot will be taken over by construction at the end of November 2010 and the entire lot will be shut down by March 2011. They are building a new parking structure for 2,300 cars in expectation of the Metro arrival. Commuting to DC from Reston is going to get worse before it gets better.
Good point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 02:51 PM
 
14 posts, read 31,164 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
HOWEVER, construction is comming to Wiehle. They have just announced that 200 (of the 820) spots in the lot will be taken over by construction at the end of November 2010 and the entire lot will be shut down by March 2011. They are building a new parking structure for 2,300 cars in expectation of the Metro arrival. Commuting to DC from Reston is going to get worse before it gets better.
Hmm. That could be rough. How about the Herndon park and ride? Is parking OK there and are there plans to shut that down in preparation for the metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top