U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 09:06 AM

8,771 posts, read 10,673,360 times

Advertisements

I haven't been there in more than a year.

My impression was that aside from the businesses mentioned above, there were no substantial businesses that were not focused on the VN community, but I could be foggy because WE always went for a VN restaurant. My impression was that 90% or higher of the folks you would see were east asian (i do not know if they were all VN, but they could have been). I think there are some restaurants that appeal more to a non-VN clientele than others. Though I think the VN restaurants with the most appeal to non-VN are mostly located elsewhere, esp in Clarendon, still.

I recall a small indoor section, branching off the outdoor shopping center. A very non-standard shopping center design (though apparently not uncommon around here at one point - the Landmark shopping center with the Shoppers is also like that)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 11:26 AM

617 posts, read 1,151,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
There is a thriving prostitution ring in that place. Talk to the Vietnamese locals they will tell you the truth about that place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I thought I heard B.J.'s was moving into the old Ames.
Must....avoid.....obvious.....jokes....

Okay, got that out of my system. Anyway, Eden Center is a strip mall with a large parking lot that is a royal pain in the ass, both to find parking and to actually get out of the lot. They have a lot of restaurants, jewelry stores, asian food markets, etc. There used to be an Ames but it's gone. Around back, there used to be a gym that I belonged to before I moved.

The food there is great, but the best restaurant they had (The Four Sisters) moved to a new location in Merrifield near the old Multiplex. There are still a few really good Pho restaurants.

I've never had a problem there. People are friendly but don't really talk or make eye contact, and despite my joke above, I've never noticed any prostitution there.

As for Falls Church....who knows. I grew up there...a lot of the empty abandoned parking lots on Rt. 7 are now mid-rise mixed use buildings, which I think is an improvement, and I'm all for further development so long as the building don't turn into high-rises, and it still retains some of it's charm.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:58 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,776,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
I've never had a problem there. People are friendly but don't really talk or make eye contact, and despite my joke above, I've never noticed any prostitution there.
I was a little surprised to hear about prostitution there, too. I've never noticed it but then again I don't happen to go there all that often.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:12 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,615,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I was a little surprised to hear about prostitution there, too. I've never noticed it but then again I don't happen to go there all that often.
Eden Center is a big complex. Whatever does or doesn't take place on the premises, it's not something that someone who's not Vietnamese would pick up on visiting one of the bakeries or restaurants in Eden Center for an occasional meal. I can't imagine avoiding Eden Center based on the prior poster's assertion.

By way of comparison, no one could travel on 14th Street or near Logan Circle in DC in the mid-1980s in the late evening and not be instantly aware of what was going on.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:13 PM

66 posts, read 176,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post

The food there is great, but the best restaurant they had (The Four Sisters) moved to a new location in Merrifield near the old Multiplex. There are still a few really good Pho restaurants.
The Four Sisters wasn't the best restaurant there and is still overrated. It is a decent Americanized Vietnamese restaurant.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:35 PM

314 posts, read 341,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
There is a thriving prostitution ring in that place. Talk to the Vietnamese locals they will tell you the truth about that place.
That's not true at all. I am a Vietnames local and I will tell you that's not true !

Old 09-30-2010, 12:50 PM

5,412 posts, read 3,456,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
My gym is in hte back of eden center, planet fitness, and I've never seen anything like this there.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:26 PM

60 posts, read 103,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac10 View Post
The Four Sisters wasn't the best restaurant there and is still overrated. It is a decent Americanized Vietnamese restaurant.
I kind of agree. Their food is VERY americanized. The new location over in Merrifield is very westernized in decor and menu. The family also owns the Song Que bakery still located in the corner of Eden which is good for bubble tea but Americanized as well even with the pastries and snacks.

There's also an Eastern doctor there with all the herbs and roots and stuff if you're into holistic medicines and don't like pharmaceuticals. Also an acupuncturist somewhere in there assuming they're still there.

From what I know all the stores in the shopping center are Vietnamese.

Majority of parking is situated in the center (the buildings themselves are in an L shape sort of). Most of it is strip mall with parts of it inside. Parking can be a real pain (hint: park in the back if you can, oftentimes easier to find a spot) plus when it's really packed people do some stupid sh*t while driving around.

Not any prostitution that I've heard of (I'm Vietnamese btw) but I don't really go around trying to look for that either.

Mainly Vietnamese people patronize the stores there but you often find other ethnicities shopping around and eating (go there mainly for the food) so you won't feel out of place if you wanted to go there.

If you watch Travel Channel, Anthony Bourdain had an episode (think it was the DC one) where he made a visit to Eden and said the food was great (he really loves Vietnamese cuisine).

You can also go there during Lunar New Year's and they'll have fireworks and dances and things you can watch.

There's not really much there for entertainment or activities though unless you wanna sit inside a coffee shop and watch sports on the TVs.

I'm sure they really didn't appreciate the smoking ban there either. Older Vietnamese people love to sit at the shops and drink coffee/beer and smoke cigarettes while watching TV or playing cards. Culturally I think Vietnamese people are more of a live and let live type where if you don't smoke, sit in the no smoking section or suck it up.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:40 PM

15,897 posts, read 36,023,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
My gym is in hte back of eden center, planet fitness, and I've never seen anything like this there.
Speaking of the gym...(I go to a gym/swimming pool) here in Japan. At Eden Center, do they have a pool in there as well? Also, do they have swim lessons as well?

Sorry, I never went to a gym in the States, despite being American. I just don't know what they offer, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDShadow View Post
I kind of agree. Their food is VERY americanized. The new location over in Merrifield is very westernized in decor and menu. The family also owns the Song Que bakery still located in the corner of Eden which is good for bubble tea but Americanized as well even with the pastries and snacks.

There's also an Eastern doctor there with all the herbs and roots and stuff if you're into holistic medicines and don't like pharmaceuticals. Also an acupuncturist somewhere in there assuming they're still there.

From what I know all the stores in the shopping center are Vietnamese.

Majority of parking is situated in the center (the buildings themselves are in an L shape sort of). Most of it is strip mall with parts of it inside. Parking can be a real pain (hint: park in the back if you can, oftentimes easier to find a spot) plus when it's really packed people do some stupid sh*t while driving around.

Not any prostitution that I've heard of (I'm Vietnamese btw) but I don't really go around trying to look for that either.

Mainly Vietnamese people patronize the stores there but you often find other ethnicities shopping around and eating (go there mainly for the food) so you won't feel out of place if you wanted to go there.

If you watch Travel Channel, Anthony Bourdain had an episode (think it was the DC one) where he made a visit to Eden and said the food was great (he really loves Vietnamese cuisine).

You can also go there during Lunar New Year's and they'll have fireworks and dances and things you can watch.

There's not really much there for entertainment or activities though unless you wanna sit inside a coffee shop and watch sports on the TVs.

I'm sure they really didn't appreciate the smoking ban there either. Older Vietnamese people love to sit at the shops and drink coffee/beer and smoke cigarettes while watching TV or playing cards. Culturally I think Vietnamese people are more of a live and let live type where if you don't smoke, sit in the no smoking section or suck it up.
I'll defininitely avoid the americanized one. When I lived in Seoul, there was actually an american vietnamese chain that set up shop. I didn't care for it at all.

Actually my favorite on the Vietnamese menu is the Beef and fish sauce and such you wrap yourself in rice paper, and pop in your mouth. Delicious. Another one is the beef cubes and rice....or the pork chop in rice...with the fish sauce.

Okay. Anthony Bourdain! I gotta youtube that! Love that show. Haven't seen the DC one, a must-see for sure!

Old 09-30-2010, 06:58 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,041,874 times
In the past (say, 10-15 years ago), crime was a significant problem at Eden Center. And not smoking outside a designated area, but shootings, including a number of murders. They weren't random, but seemed to be gang-related, and usually took place late at night. The whole place seems much safer now, and as bad as parking can be now, it used to be worse, especially when the Ames store was still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or