Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:58 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

Sounds like from what I'm reading, FALLS CHURCH is the epicenter for the commercial Vietnamese businesses. Especially the EDEN CENTER.

Is Vietnamese a presense as well in the city of Falls Church...or are pretty much all of the businesses at the Eden Center? Are many patrons non-Vietnamese...does it attract people from all different backgrounds to the Eden Center? (I'm a big fan of Vietnamese food and culture even).

Also, what is all there at the Eden Center? Is it strip mall-ish...or a bit indoors mall-like? Large parking lot all the way around? Trying to imagine the place. Are there also things to do that aren't connected to Vietnamese businesses....like I don't know...bowling alley or movie theater or anything like that. Or pretty much 100% Vietnamese catering to Vietnamese...and Vietnamese are the ones who frequent it quite exclusively (I am comparing this to suburban Los Angeles where I went to a major Vietnamese center that had pretty much ALL Vietnamese and only Vietnamese it seemed).

Also, FALLS CHURCH...and the future. It's relatively small. But sounds like with two subway stations nearby on both sides...that people are moving into the region. It seems that they are building quite a few apartment buildings for rentors. Is that right? Is that changing the landscape quite a bit of the people, demographics, and general feel of the city?

What do you envision the future of FALLS CHURCH in say 10 years time or 20 years time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 02:13 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Sounds like from what I'm reading, FALLS CHURCH is the epicenter for the commercial Vietnamese businesses. Especially the EDEN CENTER.

Is Vietnamese a presense as well in the city of Falls Church...or are pretty much all of the businesses at the Eden Center? Are many patrons non-Vietnamese...does it attract people from all different backgrounds to the Eden Center? (I'm a big fan of Vietnamese food and culture even).

Also, what is all there at the Eden Center? Is it strip mall-ish...or a bit indoors mall-like? Large parking lot all the way around? Trying to imagine the place. Are there also things to do that aren't connected to Vietnamese businesses....like I don't know...bowling alley or movie theater or anything like that. Or pretty much 100% Vietnamese catering to Vietnamese...and Vietnamese are the ones who frequent it quite exclusively (I am comparing this to suburban Los Angeles where I went to a major Vietnamese center that had pretty much ALL Vietnamese and only Vietnamese it seemed).

Also, FALLS CHURCH...and the future. It's relatively small. But sounds like with two subway stations nearby on both sides...that people are moving into the region. It seems that they are building quite a few apartment buildings for rentors. Is that right? Is that changing the landscape quite a bit of the people, demographics, and general feel of the city?

What do you envision the future of FALLS CHURCH in say 10 years time or 20 years time?
Actually I did a report that involved Eden Center. I never went when all the stores were open but it is a strip mall with a large parking lot all the way around. It is a big pain to get into and out of the Eden Center area. I'll defer the other questions to others.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:42 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
I certainly have no crystal ball, but my guess is Falls Church will become more upscale, and I can see the potential for a lot of dense growth there (if the citizens allow it, which they might not). Some people want dense growth there, others do not. Some projects may get the green light, but maybe not all of them.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:18 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Wikipedia description with citations re: Eden Center

Old 09-30-2010, 06:17 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Eden Center is a big strip mall with several buildings. There used to be an Ames there but it closed in 2002. I think it was probably the only major tenant that wasn't a Vietnamese business.

The official Eden Center site has a list of shops, some photos, etc. I think it's telling that the web site is entirely in English, as are the posts on their Facebook page. I'm sure that there are plenty of customers who are not Vietnamese.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:23 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
There is a thriving prostitution ring in that place. Talk to the Vietnamese locals they will tell you the truth about that place.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:36 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
I thought I heard B.J.'s was moving into the old Ames.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:53 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,308,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I thought I heard B.J.'s was moving into the old Ames.
No, B.J.'s is further east on Wilson. On the Eden Center site, it says, "Watch for Exciting Updates" on the 6751 page (http://edencenter.com/centers.php?aid=6 - broken link). 6751 Wilson was the Ames building.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:10 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
I read an article about how people at the eden center are really pissed off about the smoking ban and there are all sorts of violations there.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:11 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Eden Center is a big strip mall with several buildings. There used to be an Ames there but it closed in 2002. I think it was probably the only major tenant that wasn't a Vietnamese business.

The official Eden Center site has a list of shops, some photos, etc. I think it's telling that the web site is entirely in English, as are the posts on their Facebook page. I'm sure that there are plenty of customers who are not Vietnamese.
There was a National Wholesale Liquidators there that closed down I think a year ago...

Anyone know if the BJs has opened yet. I haven't driven by in a couple of weeks and bought a membership online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia