U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,577 times

Advertisements

I'm living in Lorton, VA and will be commuting to Upper Marlboro, MD each day... how bad is 95N between the mixing bowl and Forestville during the 7am hour (and in reverse, how bad is 95S around 4:30 pm)? Any other suggested routes? THANKS!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 06:23 PM

791 posts, read 2,452,789 times
The good news: 1)The Woodrow Wilson Bridge was completely rebuilt, 2 years ago, with additional lanes, and moves much more freely than it did before.
2) I believe there is heavier traffic of Southern Maryland residents commuting to jobs in No.Va. than the other way around - which is good for you.

The bad news: 1) At certain times of the year, the rising sun, and setting sun will be in your eyes, the direction you're driving.
2) As you probably have heard, the BRAC realignment will be adding an enormous number of Defense jobs to Fort Belvoir - South Springfield in a couple of years, which will create unbelievable traffic in that area. Andrews AFB in MD is also gaining more jobs.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:53 AM

16 posts, read 33,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhardy View Post
I'm living in Lorton, VA and will be commuting to Upper Marlboro, MD each day... how bad is 95N between the mixing bowl and Forestville during the 7am hour (and in reverse, how bad is 95S around 4:30 pm)? Any other suggested routes? THANKS!
Killer commute, no doubt. Although the mixing bowl and the WW Bridge have been rebuilt, I-95 approaches to and from the bridge are still under construction, and look to be that way until the next millennium.

Except for Lorton to Springfield, there is no HOV relief on this route. The HOT lanes on the Beltway do not, IIRC, extend east of Springfield. Not sure of HOT/HOV on the bridge or in Maryland.

The evening commute will probably be worse. It seems, based entirely on subjective observation, that 95S backs up for no reason at all and stays that way until about 7pm.

Good luck; I'd be looking for housing over in MD.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:25 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,828,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack love View Post
Good luck; I'd be looking for housing over in MD.
I totally agree, if at all possible it's best to live in the same state that you're working in. Crossing the river can become a real pain at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia