Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 08:17 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,585 times

Advertisements

It will be a daytrip, just a few hrs, so...

--where would you suggest I go? I love history and culture (esp. art, cool architecture, etc).
--I would like to lunch in an inexpensive but fun spot.
--I also want to know what streets/areas to avoid! (safety-wise)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 08:42 PM

384 posts, read 1,028,880 times
Old Town is on the eastern end of the city. I recommend you park at the public garage near City Hall and walk around. Some interesting buildings are the mini-townhouse on Queen Street, the Torpedo Factory, and Gadsby's Tavern. Old Town also serves as a jumping off point for water taxis and boat tours. You could take a boat from the water front to Mount Vernon.

Alexandria also has historical sites like Fort Hunt.

As for cheap places in Alexandria, Rocklands off of Duke Street is fairly affordable. It isn't walkable from Old Town. There are tons of restaurants on King Street.

Hope you have a good visit.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:50 PM

844 posts, read 2,829,562 times
You should visit the "Trip Advisor.com" website, including their "Forums" section.

I have always lived near "Old Town" Alexandria and have toured there many dozens of times. You can park in the garage near City Hall, or the one near the "Torpedo Factory." Or on weekends you can find metered parking which is easier the further you get from the central heart of Old Town. The main street of "Old Town" is "King Street" and the busiest area is lower King Street, the blocks closest to the Potomac River (This is one full mile east of the King Street metrorail station). Where King Street ends at the River, is a giant plaza or boardwalk you can stroll on or sit, good for people-watching (and dog-watching) and river-cruise-boat watching and it has a branch of the "Chart House" restaurant chain offering lounge-seating. River cruise-sightseeing boats leave frequently from the dock there. Often there are street entertainers there. Also right there is the historic "Torpedo Factory" Arts studio complex (free of charge), which has 2 levels of individual studios inside where artists and craftsmen of all kinds, work and show their wares, also art classes are taught. Just north of there is "Founders Park" another grassy area. Along King Street are many popular (non-chain) restaurants of all styles including Seafood, Italian, Greek, French, Thai, Irish, British, as well as numerous art galleries, quirky novelty shops, a Christmas ornament shop, and 3 ice-cream shops. The many colonial-era townhouses on every street and their gardens are charming to stroll by. 2 separate blocks have original, bumpy cobblestoned streets (one of these 2 is "Prince Street" just a block south of where King Street meets the river). "Gadsbys Tavern" the other poster mentioned, is a colonial style restaurant visited by George Washington.

Although most people don't really care about them, some special historic sights include Christ Church located on Washington Street (the home church of both George Washington and Robert E. Lee). (Washington Street is a part of the main north-south road connecting Reagan National Airport with historic Mount Vernon). The Robert E. Lee boyhood house on Oronoco Street is open for tours. The "Old Presbyterian Meeting House" and the historic Catholic Church just behind it. The Stadler-Ledbetter apothecary shop (colonial drugstore museum). A couple miles further West are te historic Episcopal Seminary, the Civil War Museum in Fort Ward Park, and the unusual towered "George Washington Masonic Temple" sitting up high on a hill to the west (near the metro station), which offers tours.

Last edited by slowlane; 10-13-2010 at 09:11 PM..

Old 10-13-2010, 09:09 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Most areas in Alexandria are safe during the day, so you should be fine. During the day, I would be more worried about traffic on main roads like Washington, Patrick, and Henry (if crossing the street) than I would about personal safety.

Chadwicks is on The Strand, and is just across an open parking lot from the river, with outdoor seating, too. It's a sit-down restaurant, but it's also pretty reasonable for lunch. If you want fish & chips, I would go to Eammon's on the corner of Duke and S Columbus. It's owned by the Armstrongs who own several restaurants in Old Town, including the acclaimed Eve and The Majestic. It's very reasonable, and the food is authentic in the Dublin style of fish & chips.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-13-2010, 09:34 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
Although most people don't really care about them, some special historic sights include Christ Church located on Washington Street (the home church of both George Washington and Robert E. Lee).
Washington did attend Christ Church at times but his and his family's "home church" was considered to be Pohick Church where he was a vestryman as was George Mason.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:03 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,585 times
These are wonderful suggestions! Thank you all so much. I am printing this out and taking it with me to Alexandria, as soon as this infernal rain stops.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:45 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
I also enjoy the masonic temple. It's a free attraction, and a nice way to stretch the legs. BTW, the masonic temple is going to be featured in the next National Treasure movie. It could be fun to see a site and then go see it as part of a movie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia