U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 05:25 PM

8 posts, read 30,005 times

Advertisements

Ok, which is the one that is supposed to be less nice than the other? I am looking at rental properties and have seen nice-looking stuff in both areas.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 06:50 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,342,592 times
In judging them as a whole, the city of Alexandria is nicer than the "Alexandria portion" of Fairfax County. The city of Alexandria is a vibrant urban city in it's own right, with older neighborhoods, little retail districts, high density, a large lively downtown and excellent public transit. The Alexandria postal code in Fairfax County is more rundown and gritty and suburban in character. Lower-density, aging strip malls and apartment complexes. The city of Alexandria has some rough areas, none so rough that I would say they are "no go" areas or giving DC's rough neighborhoods a run for their money, but neighborhoods that it's wiser to steer clear from if possible, but it also has beautiful old rowhouses selling for seven digits, and gorgeous intact old neighborhoods. The Alexandria portion of Fairfax County has some nice neighborhoods too, but again, when judging them as a whole, I'd say it leans more rougher than nicer, and moreso than the city of Alexandria.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:48 PM

23,565 posts, read 33,282,476 times
I'd agree with dull-n-boring like most times but i'll add an Alexandria city resident point of view. On schools, Fairfax county is considered the better whole system, but on schools with Alexandria addresses in the county they aren't that good and when put up against ALexandria city schools the nod would go to Alexandria City. On overall appearance, i thought the Fairfax county A-town was ugly, but i drove on Ft. Hunt rd today on the way from an interview and the area was real nice. i would guess the areas far away from Rt. 1 are real nice. but Alexandria city wins this argument with old town and braddock heights. On safety, Alexandria City has had 4 murders which concerns b/c our average is 5. But a number of Fairfax Co's murders every year occur in the Alexandria section. on overall crime i'd say push mainly b/c alexandria city is a city of 140000 and is expected to have crime and fairfax county's alexandria has a lot of low-income folks.

overall i'll keep my Alexandria City address b/c frankly it will be the only place i can tolerate NoVA from.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:11 AM

2,688 posts, read 5,950,700 times
In Fairfax County, the areas with Alexandria addresses include Route 1, which should be avoided, but also the Mount Vernon and Kingstowne areas, which are very nice suburban areas.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:21 AM

407 posts, read 2,085,821 times
Both areas have thier nice and not-so-nice areas...but again with both areas, there's more nice than not-so-nice. lol Alexandria City is the larger of the two, and most will probably agree can offer more in terms of resources/activities/shopping/entertainment, etc because it's a larger.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:05 PM

8 posts, read 30,005 times
Wow. These were excellent replies. I am actually looking at a few rental homes in both areas, and there are a few in the better neighborhoods you mentioned. It is kind of depressing that we will be able to rent in a better neighborhood that we will be able to buy! Thanks again.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:37 PM

798 posts, read 2,478,977 times
Is Cameron Station in this area? We have been looking around K-towne but and have seen some good possibilities but today someone suggested Cameron Station. I have seen it mentioned in a few posts but mostly the school info. How about the general area? Pluses or negatives? I seemed to remember reading something about flooding but I can't find that now so I may have that confused with another area.
Thanks,

Old 07-06-2007, 06:39 AM

407 posts, read 2,085,821 times
Cameron Station is part of Alexandria City, and located in the West End off Duke Street. It's a very nice planned community, the homes there are very, very expensive! Prices there were cheapest when the community was first being developed. Now townhouses and single family houses there are range in price from $800k to $1M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or