Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 11:51 AM

5 posts, read 8,904 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking on these forums for about 6 months and they have been a great help to my wife and I as we have moved to NoVa from out of state. I hope that now I am registered, I can help others as well (with my limited knowledge) as others have helped me.

My commute is from Ashburn (near Waxpool Rd. and Loudon County Parkway) to McLean. I have driven the most obvious route several times now (Dulles Greenway to Dulles Toll Rd to Rt 123) but the toll are huge. I end up paying around $5.00 + $0.75 + $1.00 = $6.75 one way which is completely unsustainable for our budget. Is the best alternate route to take rt 28 / sully around to avoid the greenway and then just deal with the $1.75 (one way) toll into town or is there a better way on the back roads where I could avoid the toll altogether?

Also, I am having a hard time with the tolls in general. It seems that on the Greenway you are tolled for where you exit (even if you got on 1/2 mile earlier) and on the Dulles Toll Rd you are tolled at the entrance and exit? Is this correct? When I tried to use my EZ Pass earlier, it didn't register and all it said was "toll not paid". I was under the impression that there was supposed to be different colored lights or something?

Thanks for any insight you can give. We love it here, just trying to find our way.

Bryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 12:26 PM

31 posts, read 87,271 times
Hey Bryan,

I had the same questions when moving to Ashburn.

Essentially, the Greenway is a rip.

When I first moved out here, I was taking Route 7 to GW parkway to get downtown. (Cap Hill) It took quite a while and the lights slowed everything way down.

Now, I take waxpool over to 28 south to the toll road to the beltway. Its only $1.75 and well worth the time savings over route 7.

Shoot me a pm if you have any more questions!

Old 10-11-2010, 02:41 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Any alternatives, through Herndon, Reston, and Vienna would take as long, or longer, than Route 7 with the traffic and lights, so I would agree that getting on the Toll Road at Route 28 is the best alternative, other than the Access Highway. To legally use the Access Highway, you must transact business at the airport on the day of travel, and you must keep your receipt in case you are stopped and questioned. So, you would not save anything, since you would have to spend money to use the highway, just as you would with the toll transponder.

Call, or visit, the transponder service office in Sterling to see what might be the problem with your account, if it registered "not paid" when you passed through the plaza. You might have a malfunctioning transponder, or there might be another reason, such as changing license plates from one state to another.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-11-2010, 05:33 PM

5 posts, read 8,904 times
Thank you both for helping out. I figured 28 to the toll road was the way to go - it is just a lifestyle adjustment to which I will have to become accustomed. Should be worth missing out on a bit of the traffic! I took the car to the EZPASS service center and they said that the antenna in my windshield was interfering with the signal. I moved it and it tested with a stronger signal so that should take care of the problem. See you all on the roads and around the forums!

Old 10-11-2010, 05:45 PM

How interesting that a car antenna was the culprit with regard to the transmitter not working. I had not heard that one before. Thanks for sharing the update, and good luck with your commute.

Route 28 has been greatly improved in the last few years, as at-grade intersections have been transformed into exit ramps. Where there used to be significant light delays, now have slight volume delays, but as you know, I'm sure, Waxpool can be delayed a bit, but it's not as bad as the whole stretch from 267 to Waxpool would have been just a couple of years ago.

City-Data FAQs

Old 10-13-2010, 08:32 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,248,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
How interesting that a car antenna was the culprit with regard to the transmitter not working. I had not heard that one before. Thanks for sharing the update, and good luck with your commute.

Route 28 has been greatly improved in the last few years, as at-grade intersections have been transformed into exit ramps. Where there used to be significant light delays, now have slight volume delays, but as you know, I'm sure, Waxpool can be delayed a bit, but it's not as bad as the whole stretch from 267 to Waxpool would have been just a couple of years ago.
Inexplicably, there's still that traffic light just before the Pacific Blvd. exit going south on 28, right where the W&OD Trail parking area is. Drives me nuts. Just put a stop sign there for the people in the parking lot and be done with it.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:36 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Ideally the Silver Line would have been operational by now if the NIMBYs in Reston hadn't "railed" against it for so long. Then maybe our only options wouldn't be an expensive toll road or a horribly-congested Route 7 (ducks flying shoes from the Reston NIMBYs!)

Old 10-13-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
Inexplicably, there's still that traffic light just before the Pacific Blvd. exit going south on 28, right where the W&OD Trail parking area is. Drives me nuts. Just put a stop sign there for the people in the parking lot and be done with it.
I know. I really wish that the powers that be would reevaluate the need for a signal at that intersection.

City-Data FAQs

Old 10-14-2010, 06:36 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I know. I really wish that the powers that be would reevaluate the need for a signal at that intersection.
I think it's going away. They built a brand-new parking lot for the W&OD trail right off the new Pacific Blvd. extension from Waxpool to Nokes. The parking lot isn't open yet (not sure why).

Old 10-14-2010, 02:10 PM

Thank you for the update, cdmurphy. I knew that I was not insane when I thought there was a new lot under construction, but could not remember the location.

City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia