Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 09:39 AM

105 posts, read 390,495 times

Advertisements

I life in a duplex community that doesn't have any type of HOA. This can be a blessing and a curse.

Right now it's a curse, my neighbor is a renter and have general apathy towards keeping the place maintained. Yesterday they had their basement flood because the drain to the dugout stairs leading into the basement was clogged with leaves. So far I've had 0 water in my basement, I keep the drain clear and regularly clean out the leaves.

My question is do I have any recourse for holding the other property owner liable for damage to my property because they don't properly maintain theirs?

Their basement flooding regularly would eventually effect mine, which got a nice musty smell after theirs flooded. We only have a cinderblock party wall which can only hold out a certain level of moisture.

We also had a tree limb fall on the shared chimney which caused some roof damage (tree was on my side insurance covered it). I've fixed my side of the roof but they aren't doing anything with theirs.

The current renters hate the property management company (Better Homes Management) saying they are difficult to get a hold of and even more difficult to get the work done. They like to refer to the property owner as the slum lord.

So any advice or tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 09:53 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Is it possible that you could contact the property management company directly and file a complaint?

Do you know the actual property owner and possibly contact him? He could be completely unaware that the property management company is doing such a poor job of 'managing' the property. A flooded basement could lead to mold as well as a leaky-damaged roof. You have a right to be concerned.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:06 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Another suggestion would be to contact the housing and development office in your local jurisdiction to see if there is any recourse that they can offer. I would, however, attempt to contact the neighbor first, just to make sure that the management company is not the problem. As HokieFan pointed out, it could be the case of an absentee landlord who is not aware of the issues. However, if they refuse to respond to you, then I would contact the housing and development office to see if there is a statute that could help you, given that it's a shared structure with no oversight.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-15-2010, 11:56 AM

105 posts, read 390,495 times
I have talked to the neighbors and the property management company.

I actually have a good relationship with the neighbors that currently live there. When I asked them about the property owner they said that they were able to get his address off of FFX tax record website and sent him a letter about some of the items in disrepair. The landlords response was that it's OK and don't worry about it.

The property management company is very difficult to get a hold of. I dealt with this during the tree fall incident earlier. They still haven't sent someone out to fix the gutters on their side or the roof. Neighbors have also tried getting them out more often with no luck.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:29 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Another suggestion would be to contact the housing and development office in your local jurisdiction to see if there is any recourse that they can offer.
Yes, OP contact the city or country housing office, at least to get some advice. This is neglect that can cause substantial damage to your property (i.e.., structural, etc.). Also, standing water, moist walls, etc. can cause black mold which is a carcinogen and a serious health issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia