U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 01:36 PM

30 posts, read 112,133 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to Northern Virginia due to employment. We started our home search in Brambleton, but felt the prices of the single family homes were out of our price range. We continued to search and stumbled upon (without our realtor's help) a small wooded community, literally 8 minutes from the Brambleton shopping center. The community is Martins Chase and the single family homes are within our price range with a quarter of an acre lots. I was excited!! My dilemma........when we drove back to the community over the weekend to the other sections already built up. I noticed there a great deal of foreigners which seemed very inclusive towards one another. Unfortunately their front lawns were horrendous with high grass, weeds everywhere, and their properties just looked shabby although the homes are fairly new!!

I dont feel quite comfortable with purchasing a new home, not knowing if the same fate will come of the block/section we are considering. I have a young daughter and I also don't want her feeling shunned as well. My spouse think I am being overly concerned..............Am I wrong?????? I also wonder if this is the reason our real estate agent never mentioned this community to us. He appear quite knowledgable of the Loudoun area. Things that make you go hmmmmm!!

P.S. Trust me I am not a racist by any stretch of the imagination!! I don't want to regret this BIG decision .........................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 01:52 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,905,338 times
FWIW, I've never heard of any problems with that area. It's more secluded and wooded than Brambleton, yet convenient to the town center. One possible problem with a wooded area could be critters. Deer, snakes, raccoons, foxes, etc. Some people love being so close to wildlife, others hate it.

Regarding your discomfort, I have two thoughts: 1) If you feel uncomfortable that the people appeared to be from other countries, you should know that almost every community in northern Virginia is very diverse and you are likely to have a few neighbors from other countries.

2) It doesn't really matter why you felt uncomfortable. The bottom line is you should only move into a neighborhood that feels right to you. Whether we think you're "right" or "wrong" isn't really the issue. You have to live there, so if it doesn't feel right, keep looking. Buying a home is like meeting a man, you'll know the right one when you find it.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:00 PM

23,634 posts, read 33,424,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyinMyOwnSkin View Post
My family and I are relocating to Northern Virginia due to employment. We started our home search in Brambleton, but felt the prices of the single family homes were out of our price range. We continued to search and stumbled upon (without our realtor's help) a small wooded community, literally 8 minutes from the Brambleton shopping center. The community is Martins Chase and the single family homes are within our price range with a quarter of an acre lots. I was excited!! My dilemma........when we drove back to the community over the weekend to the other sections already built up. I noticed there a great deal of foreigners which seemed very inclusive towards one another. Unfortunately their front lawns were horrendous with high grass, weeds everywhere, and their properties just looked shabby although the homes are fairly new!!

I dont feel quite comfortable with purchasing a new home, not knowing if the same fate will come of the block/section we are considering. I have a young daughter and I also don't want her feeling shunned as well. My spouse think I am being overly concerned..............Am I wrong?????? I also wonder if this is the reason our real estate agent never mentioned this community to us. He appear quite knowledgable of the Loudoun area. Things that make you go hmmmmm!!

P.S. Trust me I am not a racist by any stretch of the imagination!! I don't want to regret this BIG decision .........................
No you ain't wrong. Many in NoVA will call you a racist but I think you should be worried when you are talking the dollars you are spending on the house.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,341 times
Where is Brambleton?? I too have started to research the Northern Va area. I will be moving from Long Island New York to the Va area and have started researching where to live. Can you tell me about the area?

Old 10-12-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
FWIW, I've never heard of any problems with that area. It's more secluded and wooded than Brambleton, yet convenient to the town center. One possible problem with a wooded area could be critters. Deer, snakes, raccoons, foxes, etc. Some people love being so close to wildlife, others hate it.

Regarding your discomfort, I have two thoughts: 1) If you feel uncomfortable that the people appeared to be from other countries, you should know that almost every community in northern Virginia is very diverse and you are likely to have a few neighbors from other countries.

2) It doesn't really matter why you felt uncomfortable. The bottom line is you should only move into a neighborhood that feels right to you. Whether we think you're "right" or "wrong" isn't really the issue. You have to live there, so if it doesn't feel right, keep looking. Buying a home is like meeting a man, you'll know the right one when you find it.
I agree Northern Virginia is a diverse area, I get that!! I'm moving from a diverse community. However this particular community appears to inundated with a particular nationality/religion.

I also agree, buying a home is like finding the right man, except the man is probably a whole lot easier to get rid of!!

Old 10-12-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfool67 View Post
Where is Brambleton?? I too have started to research the Northern Va area. I will be moving from Long Island New York to the Va area and have started researching where to live. Can you tell me about the area?

Here is the link to the Brambleton website, it is a very nice community:

Northern Virginia Real Estate | Brambleton | Ashburn Real Estate

Old 10-12-2010, 02:29 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,134,907 times
I think your concerns are valid and you should go with your gut.

Based on your observations, it sounds as if the HOA in that particular neighborhood is not very strong or doesn't exist. If you hate HOAs, this might be the place for you. They obviously don't care about the lawns being cut.

As for the diversity in the neighborhood, I think most people don't have any problems living in a diverse neighborhood. Problems can happen though when the "diversity" favors one culture and then it can become exclusionary. In this area, many people take the definition of "not diverse" to mean it's a white neighborhood but, as you have seen, this is not the case.

There are pockets of "non diverse" areas in NoVA. Some areas around Centreville, for instance, are highly concentrated with Koreans in certain neighborhoods. I know someone who is bothered that their kid is the only non-Asian at the busstop. You will also find pockets of neighborhoods that are 90% Latino, white, black, and Indian. For me, I just like a good mix. I have about 50 homes in my neighborhood and there are all types in there--not just one type. I would probably not be comfortable with that either.

Last edited by ChristineVA; 10-12-2010 at 03:46 PM..

Old 10-12-2010, 03:37 PM

3,912 posts, read 5,366,460 times
Let me stress, I don't know the neighborhood you reference.

But, having moved several times, I always go with my gut feelings. If you buy and things don't turn out to be a good fit, it will gnaw at you and influence your child's attitude, as well.

There are thousands of houses on the market in Loudoun. Keep looking and enlarge your search area until you find a good fit. There's something for everyone!

Old 10-12-2010, 04:28 PM

628 posts, read 1,726,840 times
Your number one concern should be the shoddy upkeep of landscaping in the neighborhood. That will depress home values more than the diversity of the community and only encourage more home buyers with like disregard for their homes' curb appeal.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:54 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,644,962 times
OP, you should know that Martins Chase is currently zoned for Creighton's Corner Elementary School, which is 52% white, 28% Asian, 8% Hispanic, 6% black, and 6% multiracial. In the Brambleton area, that Asian group is more South Asian than East or Southeast Asian. Sorry to be blunt, but if it's Indians that concern you, then you might want to look elsewhere. They are a large segment of our community. Some are more recent arrivals, and some of them were born and raised here. I have some great Indian neighbors and a couple of not-so-great Indian neighbors, and the same goes for every other ethnic group.

Brambleton commands a premium over the neighboring "by-right" communities like Martin's Chase because of our amenities and our strong HOA. The Covenants people are fair and not overbearing, but lawns are one of their top concerns, and they seem to stay on top of ongoing problem homes. Unfortunately, the more affordable new homes are in these smaller communities that may feel more insular and claustrophobic, and that may not have strong HOAs. I wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood like that either, regardless of the predominant ethnic group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia