Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 06:07 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

I wonder what that nudist camp was like during the blizzard last year? Please tell me they were not shovelling their driveway nekkid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 11:49 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Great photos! I like the two handsome churches. It'll be fun to look back on these photos ten years from now when those trees have grown big. Is Lake Manassas something you can hike around? Or, is there a viewing point to see it from the top?

Rep points coming your way for doing such an awesome job (just as soon as I give a few more out so I can rep you again).

No on Lake Manassas. The one marina they had closed a long time ago. This lake supplies drinking water to Manassas City and I believe some of PWC. I understand that someone may be trying to reopen the lake for fishing but I'm not sure what that stands right now. There is no swimming allowed in this lake ever. Didn't stop us back in high school when we'd rent canoes then go swimming once we wear away from the marina. There are some very nice homes along the lake but I'm not certain there are any hiking trails and I know of nowhere up high to get pics. The dam was easily accessible back in the 70's but not now.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:56 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Here's a blog that has some nice overhead shots of Lake Manasses. activerain

Old 10-17-2010, 03:02 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Rep points coming your way for doing such an awesome job (just as soon as I give a few more out so I can rep you again).
I just gave him one for you!

Excellent photo tour, Bigfoot. I hope you post more when you get a chance. I have a couple of photos of Manassas Battlefield Park. Would it be ok to add them to this thread?

Old 10-17-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post

Excellent photo tour, Bigfoot. I hope you post more when you get a chance. I have a couple of photos of Manassas Battlefield Park. Would it be ok to add them to this thread?
You're welcome and absolutely.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:15 PM

509 posts, read 974,161 times
Quote:
I wonder what that nudist camp was like during the blizzard last year? Please tell me they were not shovelling their driveway nekkid!
BRRRR! That makes me cold just thinking about it! More power to them if they are out nude in the snow! Maybe it's like those crazies who go swimming in the ocean near NYC in the dead of winter - the polar bear club! Of course, we don't really know where that nudist place is, unless BigFoot let's us in on the secret!

Old 10-17-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
No on Lake Manassas. The one marina they had closed a long time ago. This lake supplies drinking water to Manassas City and I believe some of PWC. I understand that someone may be trying to reopen the lake for fishing but I'm not sure what that stands right now. There is no swimming allowed in this lake ever. Didn't stop us back in high school when we'd rent canoes then go swimming once we wear away from the marina. There are some very nice homes along the lake but I'm not certain there are any hiking trails and I know of nowhere up high to get pics. The dam was easily accessible back in the 70's but not now.
You're right - someone wants to reopen it and run a concession there for renting canoes and so on. City of Manassas sounds like they'd like to reopen it but are dragging their feet. The developer of Saranac - part of which borders the lake, just sued Manassas because the developer obviously wants the lake opened. That seems to be the latest - saw that as of roughly a month ago. Would be nice to see it opened - as it's only a stone's throw from my neighborhood. They did apparently finish paving/widening the rest of Glenkirk down to Vint Hill Rd. but I haven't ventured down that way yet since it was finished. Made the mistake of going that way when first moved to Gainesville 2 years ago and regretted it due to how bad the road was at the time!

Old 10-17-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post

Agreed, the western part of the Battlefield really is adjacent to the eastern part of Gainesville. I go there all the time with my dog as it is really beautiful. Also at the right times of the year I see the sunrise over the battlefield on the drive to work in the morning and it is really beautiful. Last winter the snow covered battelfield was a sight to see. People were also having a grand time sledding down the hill by the Old Stone House - LOTS of people - cars were parked up and down Rt. 29 since the parking lot had filled up! This was in the afternoons at 5 PM or so on my way home from work.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post
BRRRR! That makes me cold just thinking about it! More power to them if they are out nude in the snow! Maybe it's like those crazies who go swimming in the ocean near NYC in the dead of winter - the polar bear club! Of course, we don't really know where that nudist place is, unless BigFoot let's us in on the secret!

Too big of a chicken here to ever go to one. I stole this pic a while back from some site and finally found a use for it.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post
Agreed, the western part of the Battlefield really is adjacent to the eastern part of Gainesville. I go there all the time with my dog as it is really beautiful. Also at the right times of the year I see the sunrise over the battlefield on the drive to work in the morning and it is really beautiful. Last winter the snow covered battelfield was a sight to see. People were also having a grand time sledding down the hill by the Old Stone House - LOTS of people - cars were parked up and down Rt. 29 since the parking lot had filled up! This was in the afternoons at 5 PM or so on my way home from work.

Careful if you're talking about the park at 29 and University. That has been a favorite hangout for years of certain men. We, PWCPD use to have to work their undercover due to all the problems. It's not as bad as it used to be but before I retired I drove back there one day while working and all there were sitting or walking by their cars were single men. Not judging the issue itself but advising you may be approached. It's Conway Robinson Park by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia