U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 04:41 PM

6,558 posts, read 10,852,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post
Agreed, the western part of the Battlefield really is adjacent to the eastern part of Gainesville. I go there all the time with my dog as it is really beautiful. Also at the right times of the year I see the sunrise over the battlefield on the drive to work in the morning and it is really beautiful. Last winter the snow covered battelfield was a sight to see. People were also having a grand time sledding down the hill by the Old Stone House - LOTS of people - cars were parked up and down Rt. 29 since the parking lot had filled up! This was in the afternoons at 5 PM or so on my way home from work.

Yeah and the mean old officers from PWC were always the bad guys here. So many people would park there that it would become a traffic nightmare. We would make announcements over the PA's to move the vehicles or they would be ticketed and towed. This always made people upset but having your car hit in a hit and run or a pedestrian hit would make you even madder. Same thing on the parkway near Godwin Dr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 05:18 PM

1,261 posts, read 5,045,527 times
I've been down to Lake Manassas via Saranac neighborhood, which is supposed to be gated, but well no one mans the gate and it will be a long time before it's ever built out. I don't feel badly one bit going in there since they use my neighborhood's pool. Brookfield Homes put in a mighty nice pavillion with picnic tables by the lake. Ngadude, you should take a peek at the pool & community center they plan on building in there. There's a sign for it by the pavilion.

I haven't been down the newly paved section of Glenkirk yet either. I didn't realize they were done paving it. It really doesn't take me anywhere I need to go except for maybe the dogpark or Lake Brittle.

I just found a video on youtube with some pics of Lake Manassas/Saranac. It's more scenic once you get to the pavilion and this video predates it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5F3ttYPbkc

Old 10-17-2010, 05:21 PM

1,261 posts, read 5,045,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Careful if you're talking about the park at 29 and University. That has been a favorite hangout for years of certain men. We, PWCPD use to have to work their undercover due to all the problems. It's not as bad as it used to be but before I retired I drove back there one day while working and all there were sitting or walking by their cars were single men. Not judging the issue itself but advising you may be approached. It's Conway Robinson Park by the way.
I've been to that park a couple of times and I thought that was what was going on! No reason for men to just be sitting in their cars except for looking for some action. UGH!

Old 10-17-2010, 09:48 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,121,195 times
Quote:
Yeah. Maybe the nudist camp is not in Gainesville. Just checking to see if anyone was paying attention.
LOL!!!! Good one!

Old 10-18-2010, 02:35 AM

509 posts, read 853,814 times
Quote:
Careful if you're talking about the park at 29 and University. That has been a favorite hangout for years of certain men. We, PWCPD use to have to work their undercover due to all the problems. It's not as bad as it used to be but before I retired I drove back there one day while working and all there were sitting or walking by their cars were single men. Not judging the issue itself but advising you may be approached. It's Conway Robinson Park by the way.
Actually, was referring to the Old Stone House at intersection of Rt. 29/Sudley Road.

Thanks though for the warning about Conway Robinson park - never have gone there actually as don't know where the entrance to it is (or maybe it is right at 29 and University I guess - doesn't matter actually). Now, I see I won't bother going there at all thanks to your warning! Plenty of other nice parks around here - Silver Lake outside of Haymarket is really nice for example.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
I've been down to Lake Manassas via Saranac neighborhood, which is supposed to be gated, but well no one mans the gate and it will be a long time before it's ever built out. I don't feel badly one bit going in there since they use my neighborhood's pool. Brookfield Homes put in a mighty nice pavillion with picnic tables by the lake. Ngadude, you should take a peek at the pool & community center they plan on building in there. There's a sign for it by the pavilion.

I haven't been down the newly paved section of Glenkirk yet either. I didn't realize they were done paving it. It really doesn't take me anywhere I need to go except for maybe the dogpark or Lake Brittle.

I just found a video on youtube with some pics of Lake Manassas/Saranac. It's more scenic once you get to the pavilion and this video predates it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5F3ttYPbkc
I hadn't seen that video Heather, thanks for posting it. I have walked with my dog up into Saranac. As you say, no one is there at the gate - it's a fake empty guardhouse! Anyway, that gate is weird - not that I drive in there - but there's a way to drive around it on the way in! Strange setup. That gate isn't going to intimidate any bad people who want to get in, let's put it that way. Still, the entrance is very pretty the way they gave it that rustic look, and the diorama is really pretty! Why can't Brookfield make their other neighborhoods have a nice looking entrance? I've said this before: the entrance to Morris Farm off Glenkirk across from Saranac - there's no entrance sign or anything - just a small sign showing the direction to the sales office. Kind of strange - although other parts of the neighborhood do have nice signage/small pavillions. Still, I consider that the "main entrance" to the neighborhood - up by the school, and thought it would qualify for some kind of major entrance sign/wall. Although, at this point I'd rather see them spend money on something else than that.

Interesting on the pool/pavillion Brookfield plans on building there. It will be awhile before it gets built out for sure - selling has been slow there even with the now cheaper houses they offer. There was nothing going on there back when the cheapest houses were $500K or more.

It is a beautiful neighborhood and I like walking around there. Although some of the house sites are strange - particularly for the houses that are essentially the same models as Morris Farm. They aren't sited the way the bigger houses are.

I did go to Lake Brittle once a year ago, but it's a little far and now there's Silver Lake which is closer. I haven't tried that dogpark you wrote about yet - but will one of these days. My dog enjoys the small dogpark at Merrifield's Gainesville location - was just there Saturday actually. They've got lots of nice stuff going on there every weekend in October. Also having drawings for good stuff - I managed to win a $50 gift card! That will get spent easily there in the near future. For children they have a hay maze to walk through, face painting, hayrides, a cornbox (like a sandbox but with corn instead) for the children to play in, and some farm animals there among other things. On October 30 - like last year, they are going to have their dog halloween costume contest. I watched it last year (did not dress my dog up) and it was a lot of fun. Will miss it this year since I'm out of town.

I read somewhere that Glenkirk Rd. was recently finished down to Vint Hill Rd. My one and only experience driving it was kind of scary back when it was unpaved and full of potholes, etc. So I've been a little afraid of going back on it even though it is supposed to be somewhat better. They say it is still narrow and curvy which is not surprising at all - I didn't think they were going to be able to really straighten it out. Still, I guess it's got to be better - at least it is paved and not like driving on a washboard.

Last edited by ngadude; 10-18-2010 at 02:53 AM..

Old 10-18-2010, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Yeah and the mean old officers from PWC were always the bad guys here. So many people would park there that it would become a traffic nightmare. We would make announcements over the PA's to move the vehicles or they would be ticketed and towed. This always made people upset but having your car hit in a hit and run or a pedestrian hit would make you even madder. Same thing on the parkway near Godwin Dr.
I will say - Rt. 29 was a little scary coming home from work in the winter with cars parked on both sides! I would hit it around 4:30 PM or so and imagine it got even worse during commuter hour. Can't blame PWC police for wanting to try and prevent people from parking along the road there.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:10 AM

664 posts, read 1,620,326 times
Quote:

A couple years ago my son's cubscout pack held one of their events there!

Old 10-18-2010, 06:55 AM

6,558 posts, read 10,852,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post

A couple years ago my son's cubscout pack held one of their events there!

As far as I know none of these guys have ever bothered families, groups and others obviously not there for this one reason. If you're a lone male and you decide to go walking out there. Be prepared to have another guy approach you. I will say that I was patrolling there one day a few years ago. I was all the way in the driveway where only authorized vehicles can go. I saw a large car pull in and park by backing in. They all back in. When I turned to exit the driver of this large car saw me and quickly got back in his car and left. I recognized him. He's retired now but was a local politician at one time.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
I've been to that park a couple of times and I thought that was what was going on! No reason for men to just be sitting in their cars except for looking for some action. UGH!
That's really creepy! Glad I never got over there, and now I won't after what you and Bigfoot wrote! The Battlefield's nearby and is plenty nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia