Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 01:18 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Oh my gosh, I remember that from my childhood in California. If we were good when mom took us to run errands, we could get a free sample slice of apple scrapple I didn't know Great Harvest still existed!
It does exist! There are several locations across NOVA. Great Harvest Bread Company - Welcome

I love apple scrapple but my most favorite are the chocolate chip scones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 01:31 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Ahhh! There was one just a mile from my old apartment, and I never knew!!!

Although apparently there's one in burke, and the menu tells me apple scrapple days are Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday. I know where I'm headed this week!

Thank you!

Old 10-18-2010, 04:37 PM

384 posts, read 1,028,880 times
Thank you everyone! Apple Scrapple sounds fantastic! I love the recommendations!

Old 10-20-2010, 11:31 PM

491 posts, read 1,170,106 times
If you can handle a baking mix, I was in Trader Joe's today and I saw an apple bread mix on the shelves. Dice or slice some apples and mix in!

Old 10-23-2010, 03:13 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Just wanted to bump this post up because I tried the Wegman's apple spice bread. Just okay. In fact, I didn't really care for it. My coworker ate two pieces but thought it had an aftertaste. About three people noted an aftertaste. I did not and just didn't care for it.

Now I have to try Apple Scrapple. One of my Wegman's tasters has had that and said it was a little bit better than the Wegman's stuff but I don't think he was overly wowed by it.

I'm also going to make my grandma's Apple Cake. I guess that's probably what I really like. It is REALLY plain and made in a bundt pan but has lots of apples and gets better each day it sits because it gets wetter as the apples collapse.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:53 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Just wanted to bump this post up because I tried the Wegman's apple spice bread. Just okay. In fact, I didn't really care for it. My coworker ate two pieces but thought it had an aftertaste. About three people noted an aftertaste. I did not and just didn't care for it.

Now I have to try Apple Scrapple. One of my Wegman's tasters has had that and said it was a little bit better than the Wegman's stuff but I don't think he was overly wowed by it.

I'm also going to make my grandma's Apple Cake. I guess that's probably what I really like. It is REALLY plain and made in a bundt pan but has lots of apples and gets better each day it sits because it gets wetter as the apples collapse.

That sounds delicious. Are you willing to share the recipe?

Old 10-23-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
That sounds delicious. Are you willing to share the recipe?
Of course, but I'm going to bake it myself tomorrow to make sure I've got the right recipe.

The last time I made it was about 20 years ago. My mom just sent me the recipe and it is VERY simple. My mom commented that "today's palate" might not like this very much because there are very few ingredients in it. She might be right!

So, I'm going to try to make it tomorrow to make sure we've found the right recipe and it turns out as I remember. If it's a success, I will post it.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:33 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
I'll bet you can find a recipe for something that works for you in here:

Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day

If you like homemade bread, this book will change your life.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:49 PM

384 posts, read 1,028,880 times
Smile apple bread status report

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

Thank you for the apple bread report. I will take this and other advice as I embark on my apple bread replacement strategy. All recommendations and recipes are appreciated!

Old 10-24-2010, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoras View Post
Thank you for the apple bread report. I will take this and other advice as I embark on my apple bread replacement strategy. All recommendations and recipes are appreciated!
Yes please let us know! And for what it's worth, the "cake" I'm going to make is not really a bread at all so I think I have a very different perspective on what I live versus what other people are looking for. Until I had the Wegman's stuff (and never tried Great Harvest yet), I guess I never had true apple "bread."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia