Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 02:38 PM

3 posts, read 9,421 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I was employed for two year at a Northern VA accounting/CPA firm (I am not a CPA yet). I was a government contractor. I was doing very very well, I quickly went up the ranks from straight out of college to senior auditor in charge, with a promotion coming. While in the process of submitting updated background check forms to my company, they told me that they had an issue with my delinquent credit. I have delinquent credit due to family problems and my mothers health issues, etc etc. In the end one of the partners ended up threatening to remove me from the company unless I did something to fix it but how in the world could I fix somehting like that? I mean whats done is done, even though I told him I was trying to pay it down, he wanted it removed from my record (how I donnot know). I submitted by resignation because I felt pressured to do that since I could not make it happen the way they wanted it to. I have now been unemployed for 7 months and been applying to tons of audit firms.

My issue is that I just got a call back from PriceWaterHouseCoopers for a staff position with a major salary cut (which is fine, I am beyond broke). I spoke with the recruiter who after a brief telephone interview told me she would submit my resume to the partners. A few weeks later I FINALLY hear from her, requesting a first round interview. Now I am worried that should I get offered a position in this firm that I would have an offer rescinded because of my delinquent credit. Its a cycle unfortunately, no job = delinquent credit (in my case more delq credit), delinquent credit = no job. Someone please please give me some advice or insight on any similar experiences. I am beyond desperate for a job, I have been even applying for part-time receptionist positions (with no luck) because I cannot even afford to feed myself all 7 days of the week.

Thank you and god bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 02:51 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSunshine View Post
Hello All!

I was employed for two year at a Northern VA accounting/CPA firm (I am not a CPA yet). I was a government contractor. I was doing very very well, I quickly went up the ranks from straight out of college to senior auditor in charge, with a promotion coming. While in the process of submitting updated background check forms to my company, they told me that they had an issue with my delinquent credit. I have delinquent credit due to family problems and my mothers health issues, etc etc. In the end one of the partners ended up threatening to remove me from the company unless I did something to fix it but how in the world could I fix somehting like that? I mean whats done is done, even though I told him I was trying to pay it down, he wanted it removed from my record (how I donnot know). I submitted by resignation because I felt pressured to do that since I could not make it happen the way they wanted it to. I have now been unemployed for 7 months and been applying to tons of audit firms.

My issue is that I just got a call back from PriceWaterHouseCoopers for a staff position with a major salary cut (which is fine, I am beyond broke). I spoke with the recruiter who after a brief telephone interview told me she would submit my resume to the partners. A few weeks later I FINALLY hear from her, requesting a first round interview. Now I am worried that should I get offered a position in this firm that I would have an offer rescinded because of my delinquent credit. Its a cycle unfortunately, no job = delinquent credit (in my case more delq credit), delinquent credit = no job. Someone please please give me some advice or insight on any similar experiences. I am beyond desperate for a job, I have been even applying for part-time receptionist positions (with no luck) because I cannot even afford to feed myself all 7 days of the week.

Thank you and god bless.
You need to be upfront with this employer and explain the situation. They may be able to employ you with this anyway.

Other than that, you do need to work with your creditors to try to clear up as much as you can. I know people who have done so. I don't know how. If it is true that this is due to family issues and not just negligant spending, I think there is some way to have this made a part of your record.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:12 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,262,599 times
This is a big reality especially for accountants. THe company I work for does this routinely. We did hire someone with bad credit when it was revealed it was medical in nature. You can't throw up your hands and expect this will take care of itself. When you can show to a potential employer that you are working the issue, it shows you're taking responsibility and that you are a person of action. Don't mention this until you have an offer.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:35 AM

61 posts, read 157,066 times
would PwC check the credit for a staff person?

Old 10-21-2010, 08:54 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,339 times
You need to see if they are even going to check your credit. Ask when in the process they do what "background verifications" so you can plan when you might bring it up. If they do a credit check I would bring it up and explain why it happened and what you're doing to restor your credit. Be frank about wanting to be open so you can get started on the right foot and be responsible...

This frustrates me beyond belief that credit has become some a major player in all aspects of our lives. Considering the credit system is sooo flawed and subjective, and this is coming from someone who has excellent credit. I just don't think employers should even check a person's credit history. None of their business because negative marks can happen for many reasons that don't neccesarily mean a person is irresponsible or untrustworthy financially speaking. Anyway.... off of my soap box, that's what I'd do.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:36 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,262,599 times
I wonder if you would feel the same way if you owned a business and the person you were hiring was in charge of accounts payable/receivables, payroll, etc

Old 10-21-2010, 04:49 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
I know that all the big 4 firms are hurting right now for staff so your chances are good...so go for it. Go in to the interview with alot of confidence and let them know that you plan to get your CPA right away....that's critical. I don't know if your credit would affect your getting hired or not...but you might want to mention the situation up front. It's not like you stole money or did anything illegal or were arrested. I would mention it but not make it the main point of your interview. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia