U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2010, 03:31 PM
 
Location: The Port City is rising.
8,771 posts, read 10,674,733 times
Reputation: 2498

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
food?

Why not allow smokers to smoke in places that smokers choose to go to and non smokers can easily choose not to go into? Why is that that too much for the nanny staters?
personally I would much rather allow smoking in bars and ban it at bus shelters. I can avoid going to bars, or I can selectively pick bars that share my preference wrt smoking.

I cannot easily do so with bus shelters.

But then I don't work at a bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2010, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
13,026 posts, read 19,853,706 times
Reputation: 7641
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsedge View Post
The bus stops they are referring to are the ones enclosed on three sides with an opening at either end on the front. Smoking in one of those will fog it up pretty good. Trust me I know.
How do you that it's only for those types of shelters? I didn't see anything that says that.

I don't like this because it is going to take police away from more important things, and it is just too much government intrusion into people's lives. I really doubt this was a major enough issue to take the time to pass an unenforceable law. I can't see the cops rushing to a call to hand out a ticket for this. Are people going to call 911 to report someone is smoking in the buss shelter? Why would cops enforce this more than they do parking in handicap spaces (which they don't do much of)?? Those are some questions running through my mind. I'm not arguing from any political point of view, nor do I smoke. My questions are serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Florida
375 posts, read 838,686 times
Reputation: 194
It's going to be interesting if someone takes this to an Appeals Court. Isn't this some kind of breach of privacy? For the record, I'm young, non smoker but like the smell. There are far worse things than the occasional second hand smoke, like BPA in plastic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 07:23 AM
 
518 posts, read 782,270 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
How do you that it's only for those types of shelters? I didn't see anything that says that.

I don't like this because it is going to take police away from more important things, and it is just too much government intrusion into people's lives. I really doubt this was a major enough issue to take the time to pass an unenforceable law. I can't see the cops rushing to a call to hand out a ticket for this. Are people going to call 911 to report someone is smoking in the buss shelter? Why would cops enforce this more than they do parking in handicap spaces (which they don't do much of)?? Those are some questions running through my mind. I'm not arguing from any political point of view, nor do I smoke. My questions are serious.
It's for any bus shelter. I was just using that particular design as an example, since it is the one at my bus stop.

Honestly, I see this new law being enforced as stringently as the police enforce littering or jaywalking laws. If the police feel like enforcing it or have the time to, they will.

As for the reason to pass this law, it seems like a political maneuver more than anything else. I like the law. I don't understand why make it, when anyone who is courteous to their fellow bus riders would do what the law states regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Arlington, VA
5,412 posts, read 3,457,359 times
Reputation: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
personally I would much rather allow smoking in bars and ban it at bus shelters. I can avoid going to bars, or I can selectively pick bars that share my preference wrt smoking.

I cannot easily do so with bus shelters.

But then I don't work at a bar.
Exactly, but the nanners staters want to impose. I peresonally would rather as well people smoke indoors, and people can avoid those places, and there not be outdoor smoking, but the nanny staters want to absolutely ban everything they don't like..

Also people who work at bars have the choice or not to work there. And many bartenders smoke themselves. And it's not like exactly bars are health clubs. It's a den of vice. Boozing, bad food, casual sex. Why not just let smoking there? It's not like you're going to will improve your health in any manner....

The nanny staters throw fits if you suggest separate rooms. If they one day had robotic bartenders, automatic bars, they would still throw fits on the suggestion of allowing smoking, and come up with their idiotic "third hand smoke" argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Arlington, VA
5,412 posts, read 3,457,359 times
Reputation: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIayankee? View Post
It's going to be interesting if someone takes this to an Appeals Court. Isn't this some kind of breach of privacy? For the record, I'm young, non smoker but like the smell. There are far worse things than the occasional second hand smoke, like BPA in plastic...
Actually I love the smell of stale smoke, the remnants. Not the actual smell of smoke while it's smoking, but later... The smell of pool halls before the nanny staters banned smoking indoors..


To all nonsmokers, remember, one day the nanny staters will come after, tax to death, and then ban something you do/enjoy, becaues think about it, if they get their wish and everyone quits smoking, where will the lost tax revenues come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 26,831,493 times
Reputation: 42860
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I don't like this because it is going to take police away from more important things,
I don't think the police are actually going to bother looking for violators. It's mostly one of those psychological things. If people see a sign saying it's illegal, that's enough to make 80-90% stop smoking there--and that's a major improvement. Plus, if the police see some suspicious activity going on, this is one of those laws that they can use as an excuse to make a presence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
11,358 posts, read 20,154,735 times
Reputation: 16326
I smoke, I ride the Alex. Dash or Metro bus. I do NOT smoke in the shelter, I think it's rude to those that are in the shelter. I smoke outside of it, whether it's raining, snowing, whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Virginia-Shenandoah Valley
6,553 posts, read 10,842,297 times
Reputation: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I smoke, I ride the Alex. Dash or Metro bus. I do NOT smoke in the shelter, I think it's rude to those that are in the shelter. I smoke outside of it, whether it's raining, snowing, whatever.

Good for you but I'm sure not everyone that smoke follows this rule. Hence the need for the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2010, 09:40 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
11,358 posts, read 20,154,735 times
Reputation: 16326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Good for you but I'm sure not everyone that smoke follows this rule. Hence the need for the law.
I agree! There are always some that smoke in the shelter, and they are really somewhat enclosed, and I think that's extremely rude - I've been tempted to say something, but that's not likely to happen.

Enforcing the "rules" is a different matter, I would love to see enforcement of anti-littering (I ALWAYS make sure my cig. is out and throw in a trash can) - I ALWAYS see people eating, drinking, etc. on the Metro in the stations, and have never seen anybody approach them. I did say something to the person who sat next to me and proceeded to start munching from a large bag of chips: "Did you know you aren't allowed to eat on Metro? I recent had a cockroach crawl on me and it's because they are attracted to food!" - she apologized, said she didn't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:30 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top