Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 01:09 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
I'm all about freedom, but if it affects me or my kids personally, then I have an issue with it, so I do support this new policy. I am highly sensitive to cigarette smoke. Smoke all you want but don't force smoke into my lungs, which is what you do when you smoke in an enclosed place.
It's not an enclosed space, it's a bus stop. Why not ban cars and the busses you wait for while your'e at it since their pollutants are FAR worse than the cigarette smoke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonyx03 View Post
It's because we've all become more aware over the last several years (or perhaps decades at this point) of just how harmful smoking really is -- especially secondhand smoke. So the discussion is no longer about convenience or preference, but rather about health and well-being. One person's decision to compromise his or her own health is no longer an excuse to put an entire room's (or bus shelter's) at risk as well.
yet you cannot prove a single incidence of cancer or heart disease has ever been caused by second hand smoke.

It's not even enough for the nanny staters to banish indoor smoking, they want to banish outdoor smoking with their even crazier claims of "third hand smoke"..

Old 10-20-2010, 01:12 PM

518 posts, read 924,613 times
The bus stops they are referring to are the ones enclosed on three sides with an opening at either end on the front. Smoking in one of those will fog it up pretty good. Trust me I know.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsedge View Post
The bus stops they are referring to are the ones enclosed on three sides with an opening at either end on the front. Smoking in one of those will fog it up pretty good. Trust me I know.
But it rapidly clears up. It' sno worse than if a tractor trailer drove by and black smoke was there, which is far worse than cigarette smoke. If you're going to ban things merely because they smell bad/annoy you then you'd have to have fines for people farting (people fart on the metro so badly I come very close to vomiting) homeless people who smell like urine, fragrant foods, etc....

Old 10-20-2010, 01:56 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
fines for people farting

hmmmm.... now that's one way to balance the budget...

Old 10-20-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
hmmmm.... now that's one way to balance the budget...
I'm not kidding, some people cut deadly ones... Mere exposure to cigarette smoke fo ra couple moments isn't going to harm you, but these farts make you feel sick. Thank God it's pretty rare, but it's just god aweful when it happens.. For some reason it happens more on the blue line.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:05 PM

Smoking in bus shelters isn't being banned solely for the annoyance associated with it. It is being banned because it is a health risk as defined by the gov't. Kinda like drinking and driving, you are posing a risk to those around you, so you can't. If smoking wasn't bad for you and those around you, then there wouldn't be mandated warnings on cigarette packs worldwide about the dangers associated with smoking. Cigarette companies would have been able to mount an effective counter to the accusations of the health risks that smoking posed. They couldn't, because they knew it was true. Tractor trailer that emit noxious black smoke are in the wrong and are taken care of when they get their inspections. The smoke that comes out of them is a necessary evil due to the commerce they provide. Cigarette smoke is not a necessary evil, it is a lifestyle choice made by individuals who chose to take the risks associated with smoking. I as a a smoker should not force my lifestyle choice on those around me by subjecting them to my second-hand smoke in an enclosed space. I am not sure why you object to what boils down to being courteous to those around you.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsedge View Post
Smoking in bus shelters isn't being banned solely for the annoyance associated with it. It is being banned because it is a health risk as defined by the gov't. Kinda like drinking and driving, you are posing a risk to those around you, so you can't. If smoking wasn't bad for you and those around you, then there wouldn't be mandated warnings on cigarette packs worldwide about the dangers associated with smoking. Cigarette companies would have been able to mount an effective counter to the accusations of the health risks that smoking posed. They couldn't, because they knew it was true. Tractor trailer that emit noxious black smoke are in the wrong and are taken care of when they get their inspections. The smoke that comes out of them is a necessary evil due to the commerce they provide. Cigarette smoke is not a necessary evil, it is a lifestyle choice made by individuals who chose to take the risks associated with smoking. I as a a smoker should not force my lifestyle choice on those around me by subjecting them to my second-hand smoke in an enclosed space. I am not sure why you object to what boils down to being courteous to those around you.
So ban cars. Cars pose a huge risk to pedestrians, especially if you've been reading the local news recently, with all the run over pedestrians.

Lots of people have unhealthy healthstyles. Look at all the obese people you see. Why not ban fried foods and junk food?

Why not allow smokers to smoke in places that smokers choose to go to and non smokers can easily choose not to go into? Why is that that too much for the nanny staters?

Sorry, but the cars driving on the street pose a much greater risk to the safety of people in bus shelters than does a smoker does.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:08 PM

It seems that all you want is an argument and after trying to explain my views on the point, you just throw up more silly arguments. I smoke and ride the bus in Fairfax County, I don't have a problem with this law. I see why the law is in place and you do not want to. Please explain to me what your problem is with the law and try not to use political buzz words that are bandied about by people who need a crutch.

You ask to ban cars in a culture that was born around the convenience of personal transportation. Not gonna happen.

You ask to ban fried foods and junk foods. Schools are currently taking actions to remove those type of foods from their menus and fast food establishments are taking actions to make their junk appear healthier to the American public.

You ask why ban smokers in places that they choose to go and non-smokers can choose not to go there. That isn't the heart of the issue, the heart of the issue is that smokers don't deserve that freedom anymore, just like drunk people don't deserve to drive. Society has come to understand and accept the inherent dangers in smoking and being around smokers in enclosed spaces.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:29 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
But it rapidly clears up. It' sno worse than if a tractor trailer drove by and black smoke was there, which is far worse than cigarette smoke.
It is actually. A tractor trailer passes by in seconds. A smoker smokes for minutes, for the entire time one is at the bus stop. It basically hogs the bus shelter, not appreciated when its raining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: