Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:14 PM

380 posts, read 961,468 times

Advertisements

Fairfax County bans smoking in bus shelters

Any smokers that ride the bus in Fairfax outraged?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 07:27 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Good luck enforcing it. It's like the littering. There's a fine for it, but how often do people really get pinched for it?

Old 10-20-2010, 05:41 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I'm not a smoker but I still don't like this law.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:28 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Good for Fairfax. I don't ride their busses but if I did as a non smoker I'd have to move away from the shelter every time someone lit up. It's a shelter for all, not just the smokers.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
I totally agree with Bigfoot. I can remember riding the Long Island RR and having to stand outside the station on freezing cold days because inside it was so smoky it was unbearable. Bus shelters need to be places everyone can wait, and smoke becomes a problem. Do you really need a cigarette so badly that you can't wait until you get to your destination to light up?

Old 10-20-2010, 06:44 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,196 times
I'm all about freedom, but if it affects me or my kids personally, then I have an issue with it, so I do support this new policy. I am highly sensitive to cigarette smoke. Smoke all you want but don't force smoke into my lungs, which is what you do when you smoke in an enclosed place.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:49 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,402 times
I'm just wondering where all this smoke sensitivity has come from. Were people tougher back in the day when smoking was allowed in offices, on airplanes, you name it - people smoked in it. But now...we seem so 'frail' anymore. I'm not saying that people do not have allergies, etc....but how come all of a sudden over the last several years?

Old 10-20-2010, 07:50 AM

52 posts, read 240,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
I'm just wondering where all this smoke sensitivity has come from. Were people tougher back in the day when smoking was allowed in offices, on airplanes, you name it - people smoked in it. But now...we seem so 'frail' anymore. I'm not saying that people do not have allergies, etc....but how come all of a sudden over the last several years?
It's because we've all become more aware over the last several years (or perhaps decades at this point) of just how harmful smoking really is -- especially secondhand smoke. So the discussion is no longer about convenience or preference, but rather about health and well-being. One person's decision to compromise his or her own health is no longer an excuse to put an entire room's (or bus shelter's) at risk as well.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:56 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonyx03 View Post
It's because we've all become more aware over the last several years (or perhaps decades at this point) of just how harmful smoking really is
That's what I think, too. My mother died from lung cancer and had severe problems with asthma and allergies, but that was many decades ago. Back then people weren't making the connection that her smoking was a major cause of her health problems.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:56 PM

518 posts, read 924,613 times
I smoke, I ride the REX daily and have no problem with smoking outside the shelter. I don't go in the shelters either, they ususally smell like a mix of urine and unwashed people. Anyways, I understand and accept the risks that I undertake as a smoker and respect non-smoker's wish to be free of the dangers. Personally, I can understand the repulsion non-smoker's have towards cigarette smoke in an enclosed space. Anyone ever go into those smoking lounges in Dulles back in the day? I did once and refuse to ever go in one again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: