Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 09:44 AM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Hokie 2007 View Post
hey, Winnie, genius, I was talking about living 30 minutes from DC and commuting. Learn to read.
Maybe you should have said so. Your post was pretty vague - you are talking to a person who commutes 1.5 hours a day IN NYC and say you have no sympathy for those stuck in traffic. Pretty dumb if you ask me.

And maybe your attitude regarding people who have to commute to work should change as well. If everone had live within 2 minutes of the subway there would be skyscrapers 2 miles high. SOME people like to give their family a better quality of life than a tiny 2 bedroom house in the armpit of a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2006, 11:39 AM

72 posts, read 297,198 times
And often times in NYC the cost of living within 10 minutes of your job is impossible for most working people. My father was a commuter on the LI railroad, working in NYC with 7 children to pay for I think we could not have lived with any quality of life in the city if there was any way possible to pay for it...

Old 08-17-2006, 03:30 PM

73 posts, read 171,936 times
winnie, I'm sorry, I thought on the VIRGINIA board the original poster was asking about commuting from 30 miles outside of Virginia to D.C., which is what the poster in fact said. Maybe you should learn what "context" is.

And ya know something, I live 7 miles from D.C. and withing 5 minutes of 2 metro stops and the area I live in is wonderful. I'm sorry if NYC is a dump.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Hokie 2007 View Post
winnie, I'm sorry, I thought on the VIRGINIA board the original poster was asking about commuting from 30 miles outside of Virginia to D.C., which is what the poster in fact said. Maybe you should learn what "context" is.

And ya know something, I live 7 miles from D.C. and withing 5 minutes of 2 metro stops and the area I live in is wonderful. I'm sorry if NYC is a dump.
Why not find somewhere else to spout your nasty attitude???

YOU might think where you live is wonderful. But I know personally that someone who has taken the time and commitment to commute 1.5 HOURS away from NYC cares a great deal about the quality of life for their family. And the OP wants to live 30 miles away from DC. I know why! My father did the same thing for me for 20+ years and there is noway in hell that I would dismiss him saying tough s#*% you deal with traffic!

In return for his sacrifices, I went to awesome, SAFE, schools and did not deal with any of the urban BS he dealt with growing up. Do you see where I am coming from???? Do you really think they need to hear your crap about having no sympathy for those "stuck in traffic"????

I ADMIRE people who sacrifice to give their family that bit extra. I am TERRIBLY sorry you don't.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:16 PM

So if you are a college grad, how can you comment on people's choices if they have a family to support??? (I am taking a wild leap and assuming you are single from what you have said)

I DO know what I am talking about. I have seen the prices of homes in the DC area - having helped several people try to relocate there, and I have seen the traffic there with my own two eyes. You will see, maybe when you have a family to support, the areas you thought were GREAT to live in as a single 21 year old don't seem so awesome when you are older. My husband is driving 1 hour each way to work to provide the kids with a better life. Else we could only afford a ghetto house if we had to live within a 15 minute drive. If I had no kids to think of things would be different.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:36 PM

73 posts, read 171,936 times
That's funny. My middle class federal worker parents live in the EXACT same town I live in and manage just fine. But they do live in a modest house, drive pre-owned cars, take modest vacations, don't join country clubs, and send their kids to public schools. Oh yeah, they both have wonderful commutes, too. People manage.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:41 PM

207 posts, read 799,555 times
Hello, again. I am the original post and I thank you all for your honest and passionate opinions.

Yes, it is true that a home further out from DC is more within my budget. Looking closer to the DC area, from my viewing homebuilder sites on the net, I am looking at townhomes which are quite nice, but with a bit less privacy.

Naturally, being able to work in DC would be great, but since my work background is in Catering Sales/Event Planning, the VA suburbs also afford me a decent choice of employment venues.

If I am looking at DC, the key is to find housing as close to your transit stops as possible. The choices do become slimmer when dealing with a particular budget, but it is true that it always becomes a trade-off at some point.

Your comments have truly helped me get a good perspective on what to expect.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:34 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,068 times
I'd rather spend a day at Starbucks with the college guy than get back in that traffic. I'll take a sharp stick in the eye over that traffic anymore.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:11 PM

69 posts, read 273,903 times
Default Yikes

Hokie 2007, you are giving Hokies a bad name! Be nice. I know you will have a comeback for this, just calm down. Life's too short to argue with somebody on a forum like this over irrelevant details just trying to show that you are right. Who cares!

Old 08-24-2006, 08:37 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Default I think I see myself in some of this......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Fear not. His punk ass gets out in the world looking for gainful employment, he'll settle down. Right now he's still a student, so he automatically knows it all.
Agree. He'll be fine. Right now he reminds me of that old Mark Twain quote:
"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."
- attributed by Reader's Digest, Sept. 1937. This quote has been attributed to Mark Twain, but until the attribution can be verified, the quote should not be regarded as authentic. Source: twainquotes dottt kommm

s/Mike, been there, had that attitoood too at one time....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia