Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 07:25 PM

207 posts, read 797,999 times

Advertisements

Since I am in the process of considering a move to areas in VA which give the option of commuting to DC for employment, can anyone describe what is the reality of commuting from VA to DC from towns about 30 miles out? I cannot imagine it being anymore hectic than my present commute to NYC.

Is the option of driving as opposed to using mass transit a viable option or too impracticle in terms of parking and cost? {I would prefer to drive.}

Thanks for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2006, 07:43 PM

15 posts, read 81,841 times
To give you some perspective, last year Washington D.C. metro area was rated as having the third worst traffic congestion in the United States for the fifth year in a row. The traffic study was found in the Washington Post.

I think the residents of Virginia should really be dissappointed in their officials. They have had YEARS to anticipate for the exponential growth in the Metro area and have done very little. We had a new governer take over a couple of months ago. He wanted to immediately start budgeting for widening a portion of I66 and was blocked by pundits immediately. Sorry to be so pessimistic, but the traffic headaches hear outweigh any advantage of more jobs in my opinion.

The metro system here is adequate. The downside is that if you live West of the city the subway only goes as far as Vienna. Vienna is about 8-10 miles from D.C. A large number of people have to drive 15-20 miles just so they can park their car and catch the train there. You also have the VRE which was planned out a little better. The line goes as far South as Fredericksburg and as far West as Manassas airport.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:34 PM

207 posts, read 797,999 times
Well, that's a sobering thought. Sounds to be supremely inconvenient unless I hear otherwise.

My NYC commute door to door takes between and hour to an hour and a half, traffic depending. Using mass transit is not much less in time.

You are probably right in that more of a job choice may not be a good enough trade off since I am looking to replace the NYC rat race.

Thanks for the wake up.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:56 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,370,427 times
I think anything further than a 15 mile commute in the DC area is unbearable. Thirty miles out from the city, traffic is a nightmare and there is little public transportation unless you happen to live right by a commuter rail station (VRE in Virginia, MARC in Maryland). There is bus service too and while that may save money in terms of gas and parking, you're still stuck in an insane commute time-wise. Metro is terrific...in DC and Arlington. When you go further out, outside of the Beltway, Metro isn't particularly convenient (particularly on the weekdays) unless you happen to live right by the station. For many people, myself included, by the time you drive to the station, you may have already been in the car for some 20 minutes, have to find parking, then wait for a train, etc. and you just figure "hell, I've driven this far already, I might as well drive all the way in".

Traffic in the DC area is far worse than the New York area, ranking somewhere between the second and fourth worst in the nation (LA is always the worst and then San Francisco, DC and Atlanta jockey for spots two through four every year).

Old 08-16-2006, 02:56 PM

72 posts, read 296,527 times
Default Prob not any better

As others have said.

I commuted to NYC from LI in the eighties. I don't work in DC but have been stuck in preposterous traffic jams on I-95 worse than any that I experienced in NY. It is a little better now with the new bridge but I don't think you'd be much better off traffic-wise moving there.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:30 PM

73 posts, read 171,038 times
I've got no sympathy for people stuck in traffic. They live further out and have larger, cheaper homes. That's the trade off. You can choose to live in a small, nice house 2 minutes from the metro line and have a lovely commute either driving or taking the metro or you can choose the big house very far from work. No sympathy at all for those stuck in traffic.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:34 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,084,172 times
Maybe you should consider finding a job further upstate??

I am from Orange County and some jobs here are only like a 15% pay cut from NYC salaries. Depends on your career - but when you factor in the costs of commuting and the extra time away from home it may be worth it..And this area is growing nicely but is not as snarled as downstate. Just a thought!

Old 08-16-2006, 09:36 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,084,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Hokie 2007 View Post
I've got no sympathy for people stuck in traffic. They live further out and have larger, cheaper homes. That's the trade off. You can choose to live in a small, nice house 2 minutes from the metro line and have a lovely commute either driving or taking the metro or you can choose the big house very far from home. No sympathy at all for those stuck in traffic.
Not in the NYC metro...sorry but I can tell from your post you have no clue what you are talking about. NYC is not Brattleboro dear.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:59 AM

72 posts, read 296,527 times
In NYC a small, nice house close to subway?? not in this lifetime.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:18 AM

73 posts, read 171,038 times
hey, Winnie, genius, I was talking about living 30 minutes from DC and commuting. Learn to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia