Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,630 times

Advertisements

You may have already figured it out, but if not, the noise you are hearing in Centreville is NOT construction. It's the Bull Run Shooting Range. It absolutely drives me crazy, and the first time I heard it I thought it was hammering or some sort of construction as well. Then I found out that the shooting range is just a few miles away. We are currently renting the home we're in, and I have to tell you that if we had known about the range, it would have been a deal breaker for us to live here. There should be a law against shooting ranges being anywhere close to residences. Waking up - and having to listen throughout the day - to someone firing a gun over and over again is an EPIC FAIL!!!!!

Old 10-23-2010, 08:08 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
I personally like the smell of cordite in the morning. Smells like victory.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:29 AM

173 posts, read 541,842 times
I think the shooting range was there first.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:29 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
If you dislike the sound of shooting, be careful that your next home is nowhere near the Maryland border. It's amazing how far the sound carries from a few of the shooting ranges on the other side of the Potomac.

BTW hunting season is starting soon. If you like to kayak, be aware that the Potomac belongs to MD, so you'll be seeing hunters out on the river.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:25 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post
I think the shooting range was there first.

It most certainly was there before most anything else around Centreville. Just like in Manassas. Houses were built by the hundreds, if not thousands, around the Old Dominion Speedway and the Fairgrounds. Then people have the nerve to complain about the noise generated by these venues. What the hell were they expecting?

Old 10-24-2010, 12:15 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
It most certainly was there before most anything else around Centreville. Just like in Manassas. Houses were built by the hundreds, if not thousands, around the Old Dominion Speedway and the Fairgrounds. Then people have the nerve to complain about the noise generated by these venues. What the hell were they expecting?
Not at all unlike people buying new homes in Gainesville, knowing about the traffic concerns, and then complaining for VDOT to upgrade their infrastructure for them, right? In both cases we have people moving into areas with pre-existing quality-of-life issues. Why is it acceptable to have sympathy for those moving to Gainesville while being afflicted by pre-existing congestion and not have sympathy for those moving to Centreville and being afflicted by pre-existing noise? The gun range was there first. The traffic snarls were there first. Why should we automatically fix the traffic snarls to make the Gainesville people feel better while saying "no" to trying to work out a fix for those dealing with the noise in Centreville or Manassas?

I'm just not seeing why double-standards always come into play here. If you're going to tell people who are bothered by shooting range or racetrack noise to "deal with it", more or less, then why not tell the people of nearby Gainesville to "deal with it" with their traffic congestion, since they knew about it when they moved there, instead of spending $500,000,000 to fix it for them? Either fix both or NEITHER. Period. Fair is fair.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:12 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Actually, the traffic used to flow through Gainesville, save for the RR crossing. It's not the same thing since traffic is a regional issue. Now, as this thread is discussing noise complaints, as are the referenced areas used to try to introduce Gainesville to this thread; unless there's a similar pre-existing noise issuue, Gainesville is a topic for another thread.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-24-2010 at 09:16 AM..

Old 10-24-2010, 05:25 AM

RR. Where the hell did this come from? Never mind. Don't care.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:45 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
This is a rare occasion where I agree with you. Back home in Hampton, nearby York County had built a lot of mid-sized homes knowing full-well that a Air Force base and a speedway were less than 5 minutes from most of the homes. Those folks knew not to complain because that AFB was the only way they could buy those homes in York Co and the only thing that was keeping crime from coming into Northern Hampton and York County.

Quote:
There should be a law against shooting ranges being anywhere close to residences. Waking up - and having to listen throughout the day - to someone firing a gun over and over again is an EPIC FAIL!!!!!
Honey, I live less than 4 miles from Ft. Knox and currently have major construction going on in my hood. Get over it and move whenever your lease is up.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:07 PM

As the crow flies I am about one mile from the Old Dominion Speedway. I knew when I bought the house the track was there. They were even running some cars there this morning. At times I can hear the announcer. I've been in my current house since 86 and have never made a complaint to the police regarding the noise. It just boggles the mind that people complain on something that's been there for many years before most homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia