U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 02:02 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,801,779 times

Advertisements

Yes, Middlin, all day K public school would actually be the ideal because I work 25 hours per week (and am considering upping my hours if we can figure out full day K). I still will have maybe a day or 2 of aftercare costs (my schedule can be somewhat flexible, but I currently work 3 full days), but the half day schedule is absolutely ridiculous and I will wind up having to pay full time rates on those days anyway. It would be like having to use full time daycare AND have her in school. It really makes no sense when we were hoping that these costs would decrease once she started school. Even at non-catholic rates, it will cost me LESS to send her full time to st. joe's for K than it would to figure out how to work around the ridiculous half day K schedule.

It's all well and good that some people can live on one salary, but we can't.

The whole thing is further complicated by our planned move cross country, which may or may not happen next year. It may make more sense tax wise to stay in our current home (a way too small TH) and send her full day to a private K than to sell next spring, rent for a year or two in a different neighborhood with full day K and send her to the public school.

I am trying to keep all options open. And I REALLY don't think one year in a religious based school is going to mess her up for life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 07:35 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,728,210 times
I still will have maybe a day or 2 of aftercare costs (my schedule can be somewhat flexible, but I currently work 3 full days), but the half day schedule is absolutely ridiculous and I will wind up having to pay full time rates on those days anyway

That's really odd, I've never heard of a daycare place that charges FT rates for kids that aren't there all day. Sounds like the daycare place is the issue.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 AM

I've talked to several centers - they basically charge a full day for the half day kindergarten kids. It is just the way they operate around here. It blows. Maybe I could get a better price through an in-home daycare person, but there aren't a lot near Armstrong.

I also can't use SACC unless I work 30 hours/week...Which will only be possible if my daughter goes to full day kindergarten, thereby requiring we move anyway.

So you see my dilemma...

Old 10-27-2010, 12:04 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,728,210 times
WOW, I didn't know that. My son attended K in PW County which has all day K.

My SIL lives in South Riding and found a parent that was a certified teacher that did a "continuation" program out of her house for half day K

fairfax.gov - childcare should pull up anyone licensed within your zip code if you decide to go that route.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:16 PM

If we absolutely MUST do half day, I will probably get aftercare for 2-3 days a week (which will cost what a full day of care likely will). I'm not sure SACC would allow for me to do a couple days rather than every day, though. I also will struggle to get my 25 hours, which will suck.

If she gets into a full day program, I will up my hours to at least 30, get aftercare (JUST aftercare, so cheaper) for probably 2 days a week, but we MIGHT be able to switch off aftercare with another parent, too, thereby negating the need for aftercare at all. We will come out much further ahead in this scenario.

I have already started putting out feelers to in-home daycares from the Fairfax site.

Oh, and did I mention we're hoping to have another child at some point in the next year or so? Which is why I REALLY wanted our daughter's daycare cost to be zero.

Please just let us be able to relocate where I can work from home 100%!

Old 10-27-2010, 03:29 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,620,837 times
hilsmom,

Call Armstrong and ask the secretary what after-care options are in the area that students use. I know at our elementary school in Vienna, they keep a list. There are a bunch of kids here who didn't get into SACC and all go to the same after-school care. There are a few around. I imagine the pricing isn't too different than SACC which is in the neighborhood of $250 per month rather than per week.

If Armstrong cannot help you, reach out to working moms in the neighborhood who already have kids in the elementary school. They are the ones who will know all of your options. Don't get too stressed about it - kindergarten is just one year. Good luck!

Old 10-27-2010, 03:39 PM

$250/month would be lovely Although the Armstrong SACC said it would be $600/month for M-F aftercare because it is a 2 program thing (one until 3 something, one until 6). I didn't even want to ask (since I am already #40something on the wait list for NEXT year) if they had a 2 or 3 days a week option.

I got myself on the wait lists for Armstrong and Aldrin, just in case.

Kindercare quoted me at $101/week for 3 days of aftercare.

We have gotten off on a tangent in this post, but it does seem that I really only have 2 private K options that are below $1K/month in our immediate area - St. Joe's or LANK.

Is there ANY hope of Armstrong getting full day kindergarten by next year? That would make all of this so much easier.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
hilsmom,

Call Armstrong and ask the secretary what after-care options are in the area that students use.
I can stop in next week when I go to vote

Old 10-27-2010, 08:44 PM

8,555 posts, read 12,620,837 times
Oh yeah, when I called to get on the list it was just after morning K until end of school day that I needed - that's where I remember the price from, plus it was 3 years ago!

There is no hope of Armstrong getting full-day K next year. All of the schools were slated to have full-day K by 2009-2010 but then the economy happened and they stopped converting the schools. This year, there was threat of taking away full-day K from all of the schools (except Title 1), but it was spared. I'm sure it will be on the chopping block again next year. Who knows when they will finish turning more 1/2 day Kindergartens to full-day, but it won't be next year.

As far as I know none of the SACC programs offer a 2- or 3-day option. Something else I just thought of is some of the Karate schools offer after care. They pick up at the schools and bring the kids to the Karate centers. I think Enshin Karate does this and maybe Mt. Kim.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
$250/month would be lovely Although the Armstrong SACC said it would be $600/month for M-F aftercare because it is a 2 program thing (one until 3 something, one until 6). I didn't even want to ask (since I am already #40something on the wait list for NEXT year) if they had a 2 or 3 days a week option.

I got myself on the wait lists for Armstrong and Aldrin, just in case.

Kindercare quoted me at $101/week for 3 days of aftercare.

We have gotten off on a tangent in this post, but it does seem that I really only have 2 private K options that are below $1K/month in our immediate area - St. Joe's or LANK.

Is there ANY hope of Armstrong getting full day kindergarten by next year? That would make all of this so much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or