U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 10:34 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,802,026 times

Advertisements

I am exploring our options for full-time private kindergartens in Reston for next year. We haven't ruled out public, but we'd have to move to a different district because the ridiculous Armstrong half day schedule is NOT going to work for us! Anyway, based on a couple hours of internet research, I have found our options seem to be:

St. Joseph's in Herndon
LANK private K program (don't know tuition?)
Winwood private K program (don't know tuition?)

I realize there are others, but I am trying not to have to go Montessori or more than $1K/month tuition. Anyone have experience with any of these? Know tuition at LANK or Winwood? OR any other options I haven't thought of?

I might be willing to look at options not far off of Fairfax County Parkway in Fairfax, but I'd prefer to stay as local as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 08:57 AM

83 posts, read 172,235 times
We looked at LANK for preschool and were pleased with it. Our daughter ended up going to a different school, but we had a good impression of LANK. Don't know specifically about the kindergarten, but the preschool was reasonably priced. I think it's probably worth looking into further.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:27 AM

Just got an email from Winwood - their price is $280/week currently for a 9:30-3 day. Yeah, I REALLY don't think so. I'd rather do the half day kindergarten in our neighborhood and pay LESS for daycare a couple days a week.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:31 PM

214 posts, read 425,322 times
Isn't there K after-care at the elementary school?

Old 10-25-2010, 06:25 PM

yes, there is - which has a ridiculous wait list already for next year and we actually don't have any idea at this moment where we are going to land next year. We may be leaving the state, we may stay in Reston and sell our house and rent elsewhere in the community, we may even decide to stay for a few more years and buy another house. I just know that a half day kindergarten program (and there aren't that many left in Reston - Armstrong is basically the last one without full day) will be a nightmare for my PT work schedule. I'm trying to keep ALL options open.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:59 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,728,591 times
My SIL and a friend went to Bean Tree, but I think that would be even more expensive than Winwood.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:26 AM

4 posts, read 6,542 times
Are you in St Joe's parish - or could you be (ie are you catholic)? They usually have a waiting list, but it helps if you are in parish. You might want to check out some of the schools on the Herndon/Chantilly border along Centreville Road (just south of the Toll Road), which is MUCH easier to get in and around since they fixed the interchanges on 28 and widened Centreville Road. I'm not familiar with the tuition at all of them, but you have St. Veronica's, Nysmith, the Boyd School, Chesterbrook, plus a couple of Montessori schools.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:42 AM

no, I COULD be in the Parish...if I were actually religious at all. We are in the agnostic-leaning-towards-atheist category at this point. I went to a Catholic HS in DE for the academics, not the religion. I was reading their requirements for in-parish rates, and they seem pretty strict about attending church weekly to get the in-parish rates.

So, they have really long wait lists, huh? I would really rather NOT have to go out to almost Centreville for my daughter to go to school. St. Joe's just makes sense because it is not far from us, my husband could do drop off on his way to work, etc. I'm trying not to make our lives more complicated than they need to be.

The reason I suggested Fairfax off the Parkway is because I drive down the Parkway to get to MY work. Straying too far from that doesn't make much sense.

I'm still going to pursue St. Joe's as an option. We should know by Jan/Feb if our cross country move is a go or not. I'm just trying to get a handle on all my options - Plans B, C, D and beyond.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:29 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,043,542 times
If you are atheist leaning agnostic, you should seriously reconsider sending your child to a Catholic school. In some parts of the country, Catholic schools serve as cheap alternatives to dismal public school systems; in northern Virginia, where most of the public schools are excellent, parents tend to choose Catholic schools (at least at the elementary level) BECAUSE of, not IN SPITE of, the religious component. Yes, they are "pretty strict" about Mass attendance to get in-parish rates; that is because the parishioners provide a heavy subsidy to the school, and it's logical that the parish expects those receiving that subsidy to be part of the religious community rather than agnostic/atheist outsiders trying to make their lives less complicated. Beyond that, it's difficult for a child of non-Catholic agnostic parents to be placed in a classroom with regular prayers, Mass attendance, and religious instruction.
The whole thing may be a moot issue, however, if there is a waiting list.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:40 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,728,591 times
I'm just trying to understand this... you want your daughter to be in all day K b/c of your schedule, but don't want to pay beyond regular daycare costs (reading between the lines)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or